Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Current returns from expertise and primary stats

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Current returns from expertise and primary stats

Kelrizzo
12.13.2012 , 07:53 AM | #1
I'm looking for hard numbers on the return from stacking expertise and at what point the return on stacking your primary and secondary attributes has a better return. There are several variables obviously depending on what you are looking for from expertise: your damage, reduction of damage to yourself, or heal increase. I see most elite PVPrs stopping at about 1100 to 1300 expertise and then working their other attributes.

There are one or two posts that search turns up, but these seem to be pre 1.2.

Philelectric
12.13.2012 , 07:58 AM | #2
I know there is a graphic on the internet about the diminishing return of all stats but I cant remember where. But I can give you the overall knowledge about Expertise vs other stats.

If you are a full time pugger its better to stack a lot of expertise (1300+) if you do ranked with awesome healers stack around 1100-1200 expertise and go main stat or power after (main stat's diminishing return is around 1600 if I'm not mistaken)
Guarding a healer is not only the job the the skill ''guard''. It is also your job to stay around the healer to be a plague for the people attacking the healer.

vimm
12.13.2012 , 08:09 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Philelectric View Post
I know there is a graphic on the internet about the diminishing return of all stats but I cant remember where. But I can give you the overall knowledge about Expertise vs other stats.

If you are a full time pugger its better to stack a lot of expertise (1300+) if you do ranked with awesome healers stack around 1100-1200 expertise and go main stat or power after (main stat's diminishing return is around 1600 if I'm not mistaken)
I don't think it's possible to hit diminishing returns on main stat.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

Philelectric
12.13.2012 , 08:29 AM | #4
Try it and see by youself My damage is a lot better with 1550 WP and 100 more power (calculating the crit % too) than my old 1650 WP. I do more damage overall in all the WZs
Guarding a healer is not only the job the the skill ''guard''. It is also your job to stay around the healer to be a plague for the people attacking the healer.

Loladarulz
12.13.2012 , 08:32 AM | #5
Someone should try to find the graphs. If i remember well - past 2100 main stat - power looks better than main stat for increasing damage. This has no relevance in pvp with current gear.

Expertise is mostly linear so there is no much difference between 1100-1200 and 1200-1300 experise. These last 100-ish expertise can be traded for more power and more damage overall.

cycao
12.13.2012 , 08:35 AM | #6
Try it and see by youself My damage is a lot better with 1550 WP and 100 more power (calculating the crit % too) than my old 1650 WP. I do more damage overall in all the WZs
So PvE players are doing it wrong when I see one with 1900+ main stat?

Burtlebe
12.13.2012 , 08:58 AM | #7
I have gotten better results in pve by taking the main stat giving by gear and stacking power after my crit surge etc benchmarks are met.

Just getting in PvP heavily so not sure yet but would think it would be similiar.
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server

islander
12.13.2012 , 09:01 AM | #8
dulfy.net prob has these charts.

Personally, I just check my before and after numbers piece by piece on my character screen. I currently run with 1290 expertise (100 under my possible max) although admittedly, I'm a squishy sorc who mostly heals.

I found the difference between 2 war hero armoring and 2 resolve 27 armoring (bracers and waist) to be slightly an advantage towards the -100 expertise.

I could understand how fully geared, more durable DPS classes would trade off more though, if the replacement gear is first rate.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

L-RANDLE
12.13.2012 , 09:11 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
So PvE players are doing it wrong when I see one with 1900+ main stat?
Of course they are!!

There is no dimishing returns on main stats.... It's 100% linear. 1MAIN = .2 damage bonus. Here is a chart.

@ OP
There is a sweet spot for EXP, as defined by role. Ranked or Non-Ranked
900 Healers
1000 Tanks*
1100+ DPS

These are the soft caps for output where main stats actually produce higher numbers, once you pass those benchmarks.. My advice? If you are PuGing alot, but intend to do ranked, don't stack EXP past 1100. Play your role at these numbers. With the limited healing/skills in unranked, it will make you better when you do transition to ranked...

* tanks don't really have an "output" per se, but this is the point where END starts to be more advantageous, especially since PvP medpaks offer 35% of max HP. The hhigher the HP the bigger tha Medpak heals (this also goes for all classes and why I say these numbers are where you want to be at).
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

itsmymillertime
12.13.2012 , 09:13 AM | #10
Here is the graph that you guys seek:

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-998.html

After 1.2 they changed how expertise works so it appears that the old 1100-1200 only applied pre 1.2 and the curve is basically the same all the way to 1300. So in deciding if it is a good idea to replace a PVP piece with PVE, compare the stats of the 2 pieces in terms of stat changes to see if the expertise loss can make up for it.