Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cartel Items and the lack of new Operations models...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Cartel Items and the lack of new Operations models...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Spatology
12.12.2012 , 05:13 AM | #1
As an mmo/gamer of many years, im disturbed to see most of the cool models of SWTOR being made availible to people through cartel coins. There are no legitimate ways to get these items outside of the cartel shop save off the GTM.

As a weekly raider who spends most of my time killing bosses and not farming credits...whats the point? Sure, its fun and i enjoy the content, but half the fun is getting to look cool as well.

I really think Swtor is killing this long understood rule and incentive to actually play the game.

Are you bailing on making fun content and reward incentivised raiding, and instead moving towards Cartel Clowns and Freeloaders?

I'm seriously questioning my subscription value here...

Slipfeed
12.12.2012 , 06:15 AM | #2
There is a cash shop.

There are lock boxes.

They are focusing on the lock boxes.

Its over dude.

Alec_Fortescue
12.12.2012 , 07:04 AM | #3
Any bets that the next gear tier wil be just recoulours?

nbayer
12.12.2012 , 07:48 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
As an mmo/gamer of many years, im disturbed to see most of the cool models of SWTOR being made availible to people through cartel coins. There are no legitimate ways to get these items outside of the cartel shop save off the GTM.

As a weekly raider who spends most of my time killing bosses and not farming credits...whats the point?
So buy them off the gtn. If you spend most of your time raiding then you can sell stabilizers. Then just purchase whatever you want, most of the cartel armor is not terribly expensive.

Jedi-Masse
12.13.2012 , 04:06 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
I'm seriously questioning my subscription value here...
You've been questioning it for around 7 months now Garb...
Bose Relic
Retired~!

Vandicus
12.13.2012 , 04:10 PM | #6
PvE

Tier 1

Tionese, Columi, Rakata

Tier 2

Campaign, Dread Guard, ???

PvP

Tier 1

Centurion, Champion, Battlemaster

Tier 2

War Hero, Exalted War Hero, ???

That was their intentional design decision for the first two tiers. They might shift away from that, they might not, but those pieces of gear are recolors to show which tier they belong to.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

AllisonBerryman
12.13.2012 , 04:18 PM | #7 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
We made a post a little while back that has some relevance to your concerns. The original post was made in response to worries that new Operation armor art would be used as part of Cartel Packs.

Here's a quote with some relevant information from Jason Attard (Senior Game Balance Designer):

Quote:
We definitely intend to continue releasing new armor appearances for players doing endgame content. Explosive Conflict and Terror from Beyond were always intended to share the same appearance, just as Eternity Vault and Karagga’s Palace do, and our next Operation will feature a new appearance tier. We have no plans to stop the creation of appearances for endgame content.

The first season of Cartel packs will draw heavily on preexisting armor appearances that haven’t been used for player-wearable equipment thus far. They’ll include some new models, but we did not draw on endgame content appearances for them.

Macheath
12.13.2012 , 04:56 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We made a post a little while back that has some relevance to your concerns. The original post was made in response to worries that new Operation armor art would be used as part of Cartel Packs.

Here's a quote with some relevant information from Jason Attard (Senior Game Balance Designer):

I believe what people are trying to tell you is that they do not want recolored versions of old armor sets, period. When you release a new set, players want it to look original. Hopefully, that message is getting through.

And on this note, what people actually do want is color dyes, which makes these recolored armor sets pointless.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

InnerPieces
12.13.2012 , 05:02 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
And on this note, what people actually do want is color dyes, which makes these recolored armor sets pointless.

-Macheath.
We have been pouring over this since Beta and BioWare used to be quite vocal about how we wouldn't get dyes.. hence the match to chest option. Along the same lines of the "match to chest" would be to allow us to match our color to any piece, whether it be chest, helm, boots, etc. That would at least give us more options. You could then match your entire outfit to match your gloves or something.

Yes, however, dyes would've been the best option along with an Appearance tab. But what do I know.. I'm just a player. I apparently don't know what I want and have to be told.
Quote:
"..Rise of the Hutt Cartel continues your character's story....No class specific storylines, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."
Funny. I thought the implementation of the Cartel Store was the Rise of the Hutt Cartel. And no, I do not like what that story has to offer. I keep getting screwed in it.

Primarch_PWnD
12.13.2012 , 05:06 PM | #10
The next new operation won't be for another 3 updates, at least....

Figure the next one will be the end of January/Feb, the time they've targeted for the unveiling of the new ilum.

After that, April/may is presumably Mekeb, which leaves august of 2013 unless they package an operation with mekeb. Seeing as we got previews of TfB 6 months before it dropped, is it possible we'd see an operation sooner without all the promotion starting already?

My point is that we're in for a wait of greater than 1-year between new operations models.

Given the general sentiment towards the first new tier, this was probably a bad decision. They should have bucked up and given new appearances with Tfb, the game was already losing subs like a sieve, was withholding customization really going to hurt anyone?
Profiteers of War and Destruction

Prophecy of the Five