My last effort: I implore you, BioWare - Put the money back into the game!!

CelCawdro

This is my last (and knowingly destined-to-be-fruitless) attempt to voice my concerns over the direction of the game. I've been a staunch defender since the game was announced, but my ability to defend has become compromised as of late. And it isn't me, BioWare - it's you.

I tried asking you not to rub Free-to-Play in our faces.

You did.

I tried asking you not to place the Cartel front and center regarding new content.

You did.

I am asking you to take as much money from the initial free-to-play surge in funds and put it back into the game.

You won't.

But I have to try.

Free-to-play can be a great thing, if done right. And the sad part is that BioWare is extremely close to an excellent implementation. The problem is that the Cartel Shop is quickly BioWare's sole avenue of giving us new content. There are a few areas of the game that are being woefully underutilized.

The key/CE/VIP stores? Forget them.

The Legacy system? What's that?

Social level gear? Who socializes anymore?

In recent interviews, the developers actually seemed shocked when people inquired as to what was up with these venues. The thought to update them, to integrate them more fully, to enhance them, never occurred. They have the Cartel Shop now, and that's the route that all content that I give a toot about is going to take.

"But Cel, we've gotten new dailies and a new warzone! Not to mention all the flashpoints and operations over the past year!" For me (and I won't presume to speak on behalf of anyone but myself), all of those things are merely filler. I didn't come to SW:TOR to hop on another gear treadmill, PvP or PvE, nor did I come here to repeat the same content daily. I came here for what made SW:TOR unique - the story, the upcoming Legacy system and the Star Wars setting. All of which have been incredibly underutilized since their implementation.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the need to have repeatable content. But BioWare sold their game on story - they need to maintain it with that same level of quality I expect(ed) from anything with the name BioWare on it. Story updates don't need to be frequent, they simply need to exist. For me, repeatable content is simply filler. It is something that I tolerated at release as I patiently and ravenously awaiting the next story update. A year later, and we have virtually nothing on that front. HK-51 was fun, but hardly a substitute for the next chapter. And there are no signs that BioWare intends to continue the story (in fact, there are signs that point to the contrary).

Now, it seems like BioWare is content with maintaining the status quo - developing the same old repetitive content treadmills that I've been playing for years prior to even hearing rumours about SW:TOR. I was done with that system long before I came here. There are no tangible signs that BioWare is even attempting to innovate. There are boatloads of cheap promises that have fed the hope of thousands for months, myself included, but that isn't enough anymore.

I need a sign that you are still BioWare - that you can still play to your own strengths. That you can create unique content that can only be found in SW:TOR. Sorry to say it, but dungeons, raids and dailies already exist in other games, and are usually done a lot better than what SW:TOR offers. Stop pandering to a crowd that isn't interested in your game. They already have quite a selection.

Add more engaging story.

Add more quirky, lovable characters.

Add more and refine existing uniquely Star Wars systems, such as Legacy.

Stop catering to a crowd that doesn't want what you do best. You sold me on story - stick with it. Honestly, it's like walking into a fancy Italian restaurant and seeing nothing but cheeseburgers on the menu after the opening day. I came for the Grand Opening and you served me some of the best tortellini I had ever tasted - why are you now serving burgers that I can get anywhere?

Even new playable species, which some people may know that I am quite passionate about, have been relegated entirely to the Cartel Shop. Very disappointing, given that they would have been a great reward for those pointless Legacy levels. It sets a trend that all subsequent species will be solely Cartel Shop additions, as well. Again, very disappointing. The Cartel Shop has replaced what made this game unique with corporate greed. It has become the focus of the game to the detriment of the rest of it.

My last hope is that EA allows BioWare (if they even care to ask) to do what they are famous for and put this money into the game, and more specifically, into the aspects of this game that made it unique. EA acquired the company because of their narrative talent, not their ability to clone outdated MMO models. Put the money to work in that capacity. Give us more companions. Give us class stories. Give us more playable options. Give us more options that aren't tied to the Cartel Shop (optional is fine, but as long as the in-game requirements are reasonable - the ones that have been implemented thus far aren't). Improve the core of what makes SW:TOR great, and I can assure you, BioWare, that your game will make more cash than your strong-arming into subscriptions ever could.

Stop trying to pander to the WoW playerbase, stop trying to shift the focus of the entire game to the Cartel Shop and stop using that shop as a petty excuse to gouge players. Give us reason to love SW:TOR for being SW:TOR again.

In the interim, I have unsubscribed. Blah, blah, so what, I know, I know. But that means something, at least to me. It's the loss of hope. I have a cargo hold full of items for my Kel Dor Jedi Knight that I am all but sure will never see usage. I won't name names, but I used to defend this game as blindly as a noticeably dwindling number of people still do. I took BioWare at their word, and I've seen nothing significant, nothing uniquely Star Wars, implemented over the past year.

"It's a new MMO, it just launched. Give them a year to sort and flesh everything out. It's going to be great."

That was the sentiment I held at launch that now rings bitterly in my mind. The game still has potential, but unfortunately, that potential is willfully being underutilized for the sake of a quick buck.

That's all EA understands.

Thanks for sticking with me if you made it this far. I'll still update my species poll until my subscription runs dry, but you probably won't be seeing a lot of me after this until I notice a stark improvement in SW:TOR's direction. I've had a lot of great discussions, butted heads quite enjoyably, with a lot of you. From the legitimacy of black lightsabers to the likelihood of playable Wookiees, I loved every minute of it.

Thanks for the past four years. No, I'm not headed to the Next Big Thing™.

I hope BioWare gives me reason to revisit, someday.:)

Edited by CelCawdro

Cel....Please do not take this the wrong way. But who the frak are you, That you think your so special they have to listen to you. Brother, I support most of what you post. But this is way to self-entitled. I am not sure what you think they are gonna change. The small percentage of people complaining here on the forums, are being swallowed en-mass by those in game. The shop is making them a lot of money. In case you missed it....game lost a lot of subs.

The need to make revenue somewhere to keep the lights on.

You, others may not like it. But money does rule the day. I do hope whatever the outcome maybe, that you do have a pleasant holiday and I continue to see you more constructive posts...If not here...then the game you do find that you do enjoy.

Peace

Edited by Taorus

Cel....Please do not take this the wrong way. But who the frak are you, That you think your so special they have to listen to you. Brother, I support most of what you post. But this is way to self-entitled. I am not sure what you think they are gonna change. The small percentage of people complaining here on the forums, are being swallowed en-mass by those in game. The shop is making them a lot of money. In case you missed it....game lost a lot of subs.

The need to make revenue somewhere to keep the lights on. You, others may not like it. But money does rule the day. I do hope whatever the outcome maybe, that you do have a pleasant holiday and I continue to see you more constructive post...If not here...then the game you do find that you do enjoy.

Peace

And I complete encourage the responsible use of the Cartel Shop. I just want to see that money go back into the game itself, and in ways other than a self-perpetuating circle of adding more shinies for people to splurge on. Yes, the game needs to make money. But it needs to use that money to improve the core game, not solely to make more money.

If they do so, they'll make more cash in the long run.

Squeezing every penny you can out of every newcomer until they get tired of it and repeating that process is completely legitimate business strategy. But it does not bode well for players that consider SW:TOR a long-term activity.

And yes, I completely admit that it is a little self-indulgent. I simply felt the need to outline my fruitless battle against the monetization of the game, and as I stated, I know full well that my word carries no weight. :)

Gotta go with Cel on most of this. I have defended (and sometimes criticized) this game where I saw fit, but lately I'm having a much harder time keeping the positive attitude up.

I'm glad for the new content in this patch, but it just seems way too obvious that they're thinking in the short term. Before someone calls me "entitled" too, I'm not asking for things like space upgrades or life day stuff to be handed to me. I want to work for them in game. (Through interesting methods, not grind. For example, making ship upgrades craftable instead of just bought with comms.)

Why? Because the appeal of MMO's to me is that they're virtual worlds, communities, economies. The more someone can pull USEFUL stuff out of thin air with the cartel shop, the less integrity there is.

But that said, I don't agree that story should be the only thing they develop. I like PVP and PVE too, even if some other games might do it better. But it's about the whole package to me. I like variety and good gameplay mechanics when I can get them, so I wouldn't suggest to abandon these things for sake of story. (Unless it's dailies... feel free to abandon dailies, devs.)

Edited by Stenrik

And I complete encourage the responsible use of the Cartel Shop. I just want to see that money go back into the game itself, and in ways other than a self-perpetuating circle of adding more shinies for people to splurge on. Yes, the game needs to make money. But it needs to use that money to improve the core game, not solely to make more money.

If they do so, they'll make more cash in the long run.

Squeezing every penny you can out of every newcomer until they get tired of it and repeating that process is completely legitimate business strategy. But it does not bode well for players that consider SW:TOR a long-term activity.

And yes, I completely admit that it is a little self-indulgent. I simply felt the need to outline my fruitless battle against the monetization of the game, and as I stated, I know full well that my word carries no weight. :)

Well...besides the CM stuff that was dropped today... The new Warzone is a lot of fun, Didn't get in as many matchs as I would have liked...but there is always tomorrow. New space missions are fun too( Yes I'm part of the one percent) but to be quite honest...I dont think I gonna get much gear with the two BH comms that are the pay-off. Beside's BH gear is so last tier. Well we will see after the new year what happens with the money they made.

End of the day, it's a game. When a game cease's to cause amusement...it's time to find a new game.:D

Edited by Taorus

Gotta go with Cel on most of this. I have defended (and sometimes criticized) this game where I saw fit, but lately I'm having a much harder time keeping the positive attitude up.

I'm glad for the new content in this patch, but it just seems way too obvious that they're thinking in the short term. Before someone calls me "entitled" too, I'm not asking things like space upgrades or life day stuff to be handed to me. I want to work for them in game. (Through interesting methods, not grind. For example, making ship upgrades craftable instead of just bought with comms.)

Why? Because the appeal of MMO's to me is that they're virtual worlds, communities, economies. The more someone can pull USEFUL stuff out of thin air with the cartel shop, the less integrity there is.

But that said, I don't agree that story should be the only thing they develop. I like PVP and PVE too, even if some other games might do it better. But it's about the whole package to me. I like variety and good gameplay mechanics when I can get them, so I wouldn't suggest to abandon these things for sake of story. (Unless it's dailies... feel free to abandon dailies, devs.)

Well said.

But as I said, don't get me wrong - story isn't all-important. There needs to be that reptitive "filler" content, too. But while not all-important, story remains very important. It is the strong point of SW:TOR. And it is also its most neglected post-launch feature.

Edited by CelCawdro

Well...besides the CM stuff that was dropped today... The new Warzone is a lot of fun, Didn't get in as many matchs as I would have liked...but there is always tomorrow. New space missions are fun too( Yes I'm part of the one percent) but to be quite honest...I dont think I gonna get much gear with the two BH comms that are the pay-off. Beside's BH gear is so last tier. Well we will see after the new year what happens with the money they made.

End of the day, it's a game. When a game cease's to cause amusement...it's time to find a new game.:D

To be honest, the new warzone is great, but there's a catch - I'm already burned out on it. And I've only played one match. Why? Because it's just Khaine's Embrace, a warzone from WAR that Gabe pretty much halved and ported over to SW:TOR. I loved it there, but you can only play it so many times. And it followed me here. :p

And I've enjoyed the space missions, too. My only qualm there is that the in-game (ie. non-Cartel Shop) methods of obtaining the items are obnoxiously prohibitive. It's a very obvious attempt, like too many other things, to severely annoy players into giving in and simply using their real-life cash. And those unrealistic in-game costs go for subscribers as well as free-to-play customers, to boot.

As for finding a new game... unnecessary. I play quite a few games already, and I'm never one to threaten a company with the Next Big Thing™. :rolleyes: Essentially, I'll be playing more games with friends rather than hoping SW:TOR gives them a reason to join me here again.

Edited by CelCawdro

Meh i like the game, the only issues that i have with it are just minor issues

1. need a pvp cross server que.

2. fix the overly excessive CC in pvp

3. send premades to rated leaving pugs vrs pugs.

I love the new WZ i just wish it would pop more, i pvped 12 hours today and only got to do that new wz 3 times :(

I have faith that eventually it will get better, but BW still needs to pay off EA for the money it spent so the cartel market will get more and more stuff in it. personally i like the new ship upgrades and the valor consumables, i also buy 1 cartel pack 3 times a week.

Meh i like the game, the only issues that i have with it are just minor issues

1. need a pvp cross server que.

2. fix the overly excessive CC in pvp

3. send premades to rated leaving pugs vrs pugs.

I love the new WZ i just wish it would pop more, i pvped 12 hours today and only got to do that new wz 3 times :(

I have faith that eventually it will get better, but BW still needs to pay off EA for the money it spent so the cartel market will get more and more stuff in it. personally i like the new ship upgrades and the valor consumables, i also buy 1 cartel pack 3 times a week.

The game has been paid off many times over, by now. SW:TOR has always been a successful game, just not as successful as WoW like EA had unrealistically hoped. As such, they devoted their resources to developing ways to make more money, and those profits are going to be channeled into more ways to make money, and so on. All in pursuit of an impossible goal, and to the detriment of the game's design.

Also, I like the game, too. I just need to see evidence of growth, as it has simply stagnated for the past year, bar a very key exceptions..

Tauros.. please don't take this the wrong way but who the hell are you to call a valid complaint self centered? There is no denying they have completely taken advantage of the cartel system. You need to learn to seperate the Forum doomers from the PAYING CUSTOMERS who make valid complaints to make sure we get our money's worth. Fool

I agree with you OP.

The game has been paid off many times over, by now. SW:TOR has always been a successful game, just not as successful as WoW like EA had unrealistically hoped. As such, they devoted their resources to developing ways to make more money, and those profits are going to be channeled into more ways to make money, and so on. All in pursuit of an impossible goal, and to the detriment of the game's design.

Also, I like the game, too. I just need to see evidence of growth, as it has simply stagnated for the past year, bar a very key exceptions..

Personally i like the events, my most favorite event was the rhakghoul invasion. the last event that they had was way way way too short in my opinion, such a waste to put effort into an event that lasted about a week.

Personally i like the events, my most favorite event was the rhakghoul invasion. the last event that they had was way way way too short in my opinion, such a waste to put effort into an event that lasted about a week.

The Rakghoul event was pretty enjoyable. I'll give them that. Unlike a lot of people, I don't suddenly hate absolutely everything about the game because I've decided to let my subscription lapse. :) It got people out into the world, it got people talking and grouping and it had a bit of decent story to go along with it. It was an example of what events in SW:TOR should be like.

I also liked the Chevin event, but to a lesser degree. The "don't talk, the line isn't secure" bit was absolutely painful. The cliffhanger ending that seems to have been forgotten about doesn't help, either. It also promoted solo, territorial farming. But I appreciated the oddball rewards.

With the decline in quality with the second event, the disappearance of the Life Day event (which was actually the first confirmed planned event pre-release), and the recent revelation that our "limited time" items are going to be made available again when they re-implement past these events... again, my hope has dwindled for the direction of the game.

Edited by CelCawdro

You seem really concerned that Bioware will stop delivering its promises just because it launched free to play. I'd like to tell you that I believe they will deliver. Maybe you should just wait a while longer and you'll see that the F2P problems will be solved.

What post-release trends lead you to continue to believe this? I'm not being glib - I'm genuinely interested.

An excellent post, Cel. As far as I'm concerned you've always been one of the best and most even-minded posters on these forums, to an extent that I would call you a community leader around here.

Your sentiments in the OP ring true to me. The direction of development for our beloved game has lost proper focus--story, ambiance, character development (as you lined out in your OP). Part of this loss of focus (some will say change of focus) of course should be attributed to the game's lackluster performance in terms of maintaining subscriptions; and I believe that disappointment is more strongly related to the many sources of zealous hate of TOR (EA, themepark, SWG) than it is related to any fundamental flaw within the game itself. I'll say without reservation that TOR is a good game. But I'm not sure that it can continue to be within the current framework.

It has to be admitted, though, that regardless of our opinion of free-to-play and cashshop, It's fairly obvious Bioware had to make some changes in order to maintain and/or grow the viability of their product. That in my opinion is a forgone conclusion. Some of us may understand this, yet at the same time may not be happy with the specific nature of the change--for the reasons you outlined in your OP, Cel.

It's a grim truth, that some of us who have been long committed from even long before launch, are coming to question whether we can continue supporting the game, with our words as well as our money. For me it is a question of decency and taste. This recent patch has certainly let me down on both points.

Cel, I'm sorry to see you go, if that does indeed end up being your final account action. We can hope for the best. Hell, I'm still dreaming that maybe I'll see playable Togruta some day. :p

The need to make revenue somewhere to keep the lights on.

You, others may not like it. But money does rule the day. I do hope whatever the outcome maybe, that you do have a pleasant holiday and I continue to see you more constructive posts...If not here...then the game you do find that you do enjoy.

Peace

When we get to the point where the word entitlement is so dirty that we have convinced the cowed masses they are not entitled to anything we can rest easy in the knowledge that the voluntary enslavement project is complete.

Entitlement is real. It is just. If you are entitled to something, and someone wants to take it from you or keep it for themselves, you fight for it.

If you stop believing in this core truth about our being and start spitting after you say the very word, entitlement, don't start crying for justice when you don't get what you are owed.

it's your own damn fault for letting those that feel they are entitled to everything convince you that you are entitled to nothing.

That being said, We are entitled. To our opinions, our concerns, and our ideas. We have a sense of entitlement when it comes to the game we have invested so much time and money into, and so much of our hopes for a format to play out the dreams we've been having in our heads since we where children.

Because Star Wars fans have kept this IP alive. We have nurtured it and helped it grow. We have stuck with it for better or for worse.

We are the reason these people made a single dime on this game, or any other star wars material. Had we abandoned our drams of laser swords and superpowers on space ships long ago this game would not exist.

This will be the last star wars mmo. If it fails.

And all of our dreams will go with it.

So yes, we are entitled to an explanation when some money grubbing investors burn the house down.

When we get to the point where the word entitlement is so dirty that we have convinced the cowed masses they are not entitled to anything we can rest easy in the knowledge that the voluntary enslavement project is complete.

Entitlement is real. It is just. If you are entitled to something, and someone wants to take it from you or keep it for themselves, you fight for it.

If you stop believing in this core truth about our being and start spitting after you say the very word, entitlement, don't start crying for justice when you don't get what you are owed.

it's your own damn fault for letting those that feel they are entitled to everything convince you that you are entitled to nothing.

That being said, We are entitled. To our opinions, our concerns, and our ideas. We have a sense of entitlement when it comes to the game we have invested so much time and money into, and so much of our hopes for a format to play out the dreams we've been having in our heads since we where children.

Because Star Wars fans have kept this IP alive. We have nurtured it and helped it grow. We have stuck with it for better or for worse.

We are the reason these people made a single dime on this game, or any other star wars material. Had we abandoned our drams of laser swords and superpowers on space ships long ago this game would not exist.

This will be the last star wars mmo. If it fails.

And all of our dreams will go with it.

So yes, we are entitled to an explanation when some money grubbing investors burn the house down.

Um..No this will not be the last Star War's MMO if or when it fails. Some other company will come along and try it all over again, heard same lame argument from the SWG gang when that game didn't pan out the way they hoped and dreamed.

If you think....because you spent $179.88 US(Yr Sub) or more because you bought the CE (I did) Brings the total...Ballpark to about $300US. Are entitled to dictate to a billion dollar company how to run its business because you still run around in your Star Wars Underoo's, Brother...you need to get out more.

And as far as keeping the Franchise alive, Mr Lucas did that. He did so...Because in his dreams and hopes, He wanted to sell the IP to a six foot rat for 4 Billion dollars.:p

Um..No this will not be the last Star War's MMO if or when it fails. Some other company will come along and try it all over again, heard same lame argument from the SWG gang when that game didn't pan out the way they hoped and dreamed.

If you think....because you spent $179.88 US(Yr Sub) or more because you bought the CE (I did) Brings the total...Ballpark to about $300US. Are entitled to dictate to a billion dollar company how to run its business because you still run around in your Star Wars Underoo's, Brother...you need to get out more.

And as far as keeping the Franchise alive, Mr Lucas did that. He did so...Because in his dreams and hopes, He wanted to sell the IP to a six foot rat for 4 Billion dollars.:p

I would like to see this trick you pull off, where you sell things without customers.

I would like to see this trick you pull off, where you sell things without customers.

Brother....the Cartel market is making EA wads of cash. While you wail and gnash your teeth here on the forums...hundreds...If not thousands are dropping next months rent money on the shop.

Brother....the Cartel market is making EA wads of cash. While you wail and gnash your teeth here on the forums...hundreds...If not thousands are dropping next months rent money on the shop.

I don't know if you noticed, but, this statement has nothing to do with the debate.

Explain to me how Lucas kept the franchise alive without fans to pay him.

I don't know if you noticed, but, this statement has nothing to do with the debate.

Explain to me how Lucas kept the franchise alive without fans to pay him.

Uh Huh....Chicken before the Egg debate. I like to see how your fans without his IP. Still in NO WAY, SHAPE or FORM entitles you to anything.... period.

Edited by Taorus

I hate to double post but let me put this another way, because some people's view of economics is a bit... uninformed.

If I got out right now to sell my new invention, the E.S.C. or Electric Shock Condom I will get exactly zero dollars for my idea.

Because there is no market for it. What people mean when they ask "Is there a market for it" is "Is there a customer base" or "Will people pay for this".

You don't invest money into a product or company that has a target audience size of zero. You don't invest billions of dollars into an existing intellectual property or millions of dollars into a product based on that property unless you know there are customers lined up to provide a return on that investment.

So, you see my original point, and also the folly of supply side economics.

If you don't, I have a patent on an E.S.C. i'd like to sell you.

Well when Mr.Lucas first sold his idea for Star Wars to 20th Century Fox, the was no Star Wars fans and the studio did invest millions. Hence Star Wars was born....fans were made. Your statement was you/fans kept it alive. Not sure how you kept it alive without Mr. Lucas leasing out his IP for books, toys and your aforementioned Underoo's.

Still unclear what makes you think because in the past year you may or may not have spent $300US on a EA/Bioware product that they spent millions on....entitles you to anything.

No Fan's?

Sorry but the sale pitch was upheld as he was selling a Genere Western+Sci fiction

Which always sells past and present Figures show this.