Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So... how's the new bg doing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
So... how's the new bg doing?

RazielHex
12.12.2012 , 04:34 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by CraigTheMerc View Post
So it is geared toward more 1 vs 1? God have mercy on the Mercs....
Best thing to do while everyone is shuffling to the center to avoid the bombs is use jet blast to knock your opponent outside to get gibbed.

BaineOs
12.12.2012 , 05:14 PM | #32
Looks like I'm going against the grain here. Said it in another thread but personally I can't stand it. I'm sure it'll be great for RWZs but as a sniper who pugs right now it's just impossible. For normal warzones where you get a lot of pugs this is going to be by far the worst warzone out there. If you're with a premade sure fine it'll be fun otherwise.....forget it.

So from my personal experience so far I havne't got a good thing to say about it, refuse to play it at the moment and will leave every time I find myself in it.
Es'carli - Sniper
<Lord of the Drinks>
The Red Eclipse

Aaoogaa
12.12.2012 , 05:14 PM | #33
Ignore middle and cap nodes = win. The warzone favors stealth classes and quick movers. The successful classes are still that and the others are still underperforming. Nothing has changed and this is probably the worst warzone of the group. If the goal is to make people fight over the middle then remove the side pathways and put the spawn points at each of the pylons.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

Glower
12.13.2012 , 01:18 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaoogaa View Post
Ignore middle and cap nodes = win. The warzone favors stealth classes and quick movers. The successful classes are still that and the others are still underperforming. Nothing has changed and this is probably the worst warzone of the group. If the goal is to make people fight over the middle then remove the side pathways and put the spawn points at each of the pylons.
I think they need to open the middle/green gate for the losing team. Also that would be more interesting in blast-wave phase...
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

hunterthesloth
12.13.2012 , 04:44 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by BaineOs View Post
Looks like I'm going against the grain here. Said it in another thread but personally I can't stand it. I'm sure it'll be great for RWZs but as a sniper who pugs right now it's just impossible. For normal warzones where you get a lot of pugs this is going to be by far the worst warzone out there. If you're with a premade sure fine it'll be fun otherwise.....forget it.

So from my personal experience so far I havne't got a good thing to say about it, refuse to play it at the moment and will leave every time I find myself in it.
a quitter is even worse that the guy who talks about the other team hacking...
Imperial Entanglements
The Blackwalker Legacy
"...Your only hope for survival is complete and utter loyalty"
Its Star Wars not Ground Wars

Smashbrother
12.13.2012 , 05:00 PM | #36
I enjoy it. there's a lot of opportunities for 1v1s.

BaineOs
12.13.2012 , 05:06 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by hunterthesloth View Post
a quitter is even worse that the guy who talks about the other team hacking...
Maybe so but frankly I don't give a damn. There's plenty of people who're leaving the other warzones purely because they want to play this new piece of *****. Well good for them, they can have my spot, I quit before the warzone even starts so plenty of time for my spot to be filled before it starts. The effect of me quitting before it starts is extremely minimal.
Es'carli - Sniper
<Lord of the Drinks>
The Red Eclipse

SOULCASTER
12.13.2012 , 05:18 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by BaineOs View Post

That was my take on this new warzone after having played it a few times now on my 50 Shadow, Sage, and Juggernaut. It seems like it would/could be a great 8-man pre-made rated warzone. However for pugs it seems to be very one sided. Its still very early in its release, but currently there haven't been any close matches. Its always one team knowing what to do, and the other lost in the sauce.

Regardless of how new it is to everyone, I personally dont feel this is a very good warzone. Just my two cents. The only thing I really like about it right now is that FINALLY there is something OTHER than the base 4 warzones we've been doing for 11+ months now. In comparing it overall to the other warzones however, I don't think its gameplay mechanics or design are good at all.

ITS MAIN FLAW
It really seems to isolate the fighting, with the nodes able to be captured so fast (faster than the long stuns last in this game), it is yet another map that requires at least 1 person to sit off by themselves typically and guard a node for 10-15minutes and get no battle action for it. This is much like Novare and alderaan. I personally just dont like an objective map where 1 or more people have to sit basically AFK at a node getting no action while the rest of the team battles it out elsewhere on the map.

Warzones need to be engaging. You can have objectives, while still engaging the whole team. Bioware needs to move away from these isolated objective matches. No one (at least not me) want to sit off at a node guarding it for 15 minutes. I think that, and that alone is the driving factor in bad warzone experiences by many. Its because NO ONE wants to guard a node, and everyone has A.D.D and they want to engage in combat. And so you see bad pugs everywhere in warzones doing their own thing because they refuse to sit idle for 15min. And honestly, I can't even blame them. Its a fail design.
WAR & WEAPONS OF WAR
Prophecy of the Five | Guild Leader
www.WeaponsOfWarGuild.enjin.com
5x Season 1 All-star | 7 Year SWG Vet (Bria)

Forgon
12.13.2012 , 05:51 PM | #39
Reading this post makes me wonder if players ever read the step by step guide that actually gives the gist of the wz. I barely glanced at them and understood what I was doing.

Bad players are bad, I guess.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

ArchangelLBC
12.14.2012 , 03:59 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by SOULCASTER View Post
That was my take on this new warzone after having played it a few times now on my 50 Shadow, Sage, and Juggernaut. It seems like it would/could be a great 8-man pre-made rated warzone. However for pugs it seems to be very one sided. Its still very early in its release, but currently there haven't been any close matches. Its always one team knowing what to do, and the other lost in the sauce.

Regardless of how new it is to everyone, I personally dont feel this is a very good warzone. Just my two cents. The only thing I really like about it right now is that FINALLY there is something OTHER than the base 4 warzones we've been doing for 11+ months now. In comparing it overall to the other warzones however, I don't think its gameplay mechanics or design are good at all.

ITS MAIN FLAW
It really seems to isolate the fighting, with the nodes able to be captured so fast (faster than the long stuns last in this game), it is yet another map that requires at least 1 person to sit off by themselves typically and guard a node for 10-15minutes and get no battle action for it. This is much like Novare and alderaan. I personally just dont like an objective map where 1 or more people have to sit basically AFK at a node getting no action while the rest of the team battles it out elsewhere on the map.

Warzones need to be engaging. You can have objectives, while still engaging the whole team. Bioware needs to move away from these isolated objective matches. No one (at least not me) want to sit off at a node guarding it for 15 minutes. I think that, and that alone is the driving factor in bad warzone experiences by many. Its because NO ONE wants to guard a node, and everyone has A.D.D and they want to engage in combat. And so you see bad pugs everywhere in warzones doing their own thing because they refuse to sit idle for 15min. And honestly, I can't even blame them. Its a fail design.
Right now I think you're seeing a lot of one-sidedness because people just don't really know what to do yet. You get a team of people and only 1 or 2 have done it before and the other team has half of them which have done it before and you're going to have a bad time.

As for the isolated fighting, outside of huttball I've found this to be one of the best warzones. At the very least you have to run back to mid every few minutes and then run back out and recapitulate the opening so if for some reason the other team isn't constantly trying to send someone to take the node you're guarding, at least doing something every few minutes, and often someone IS trying to gank that node.

The easiest way to win is to get at least one round where you manage to capture a node and either stop them from capturing theirs or preferably capture both. This puts them in a position where, if they hope to come back, they have to capture both, which will be hard to do if you've already done it to them. But because of this it encourages there to be action everywhere, and that I like since, like you, I spend a lot of time solo guarding grass or northwest as a shadow. I do it cause my class is well suited to it, but I don't deny I get really bored sometimes.

Ironically the only time where I went an entire warzone with nothing but objective points I was on commando. you guessed it I was solo guarding a node. They never came up my way so I spent literally the whole warzone twidling my thumbs.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd