Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.6 Cartel Market has gone a little too far...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
1.6 Cartel Market has gone a little too far...

JediMasterSarynn
12.11.2012 , 03:07 PM | #1
I just reviewed all of the new items that were released in the Cartel Market with 1.6 -- bad form, Bioware. Very bad indeed.

I understand the implementation and perhaps even the need for a cash shop, but you're starting to take it a little too far. I'm going to item by item here to provide my thoughts, whether you like it or not.

Spaceship Parts

You have now further screwed over your crafters by providing spaceships parts that should have been obtainable via crafting classes. You've done this with Artifice (new crystals in the market, nothing new craftable since the Magenta +41 series), Armormech (new armors on the market, nothing new craftable since War Hero gear), Synthweaving, etc.

Allowing people to buy new gear on the Market but not providing anything new to crafters in many months does not show your crafting community that you care about them.

Life Day Stuff

This is the biggest slap to the face of your customer base. Every subscription-based MMO I've played in the past 10+ years has always given away items either via "mail" or via a short questline for holiday events. Instead, you throw these items on the Cartel Market so we're forced to buy them if we want to participate in Life Day. That's just asinine, really. I can understand putting the vehicle on the market, but all of the other items? They should have been given to us after a small questline explaining the meaning behind Life Day.

Blade Runner's Cartel Pack

This pack is so full of nice items. It seems a bit criminal that you guys have decided to put so much into this pack instead of doing the right thing and allowing us to buy these items individual. It feels like an extortion racket.

With that said, I feel that you guys would have messed up even if all of these items were available for purchase individually. Color crystals should not be exclusive to the Cartel Market. You should be able to find the via alternative means in-game as well. Revan's outfit? That should have been in the game a long time ago, achievable via raiding or other means (a single piece drops off each final boss in an Operation, for example). C2-N2 customization? Purchasable with in-game credits.

In Conclusion...

Bioware, you're going too far with the Cartel Market. You need to keep in mind that people like myself, paying subscribers, we're not only paying for the right to run raids and warzones, we're also paying to get cool loot. That is the point at the end of the day, isn't it? Instead, you're putting all the cool loot in the Cartel Market and leaving the game we pay $15/mo to play extremely stale.

I've been a rabid support of this game for a long time now, spending 7 months in beta and constantly telling people to be patient with your efforts. Well, my patience is running a bit thin now. I see where you've spent your development time and what your goals are for the Market. It doesn't look good, Bioware.
The Sunrider Legacy | Deiryn | Deiryl | Zadiel | Varinne
Aethereal on Harbinger - A PvE/PvP/Conquest/Social Guild - Visit Us and Join Now!

NasherUK
12.11.2012 , 03:15 PM | #2
I agree. Why am I paying a subscription when I still have to buy stuff on the market?

They said before F2P that subscribers would have access to everything. That's why people stuck around...

CybermanZero
12.11.2012 , 03:17 PM | #3
The stuff done in this patch is just terrible. Even if there is some sort of holiday event thing that has not been triggered, no MMO that I have ever been a part of in the last 15 Years made Holiday stuff purchasable. Bioware if this is the slap to the face you guys want to send out fine.

**HOLIDAY STUFF SHOULD NEVER EVER BE A PURCHASE ONLY THING.**

It is something that is included with the Sub fee, If anything the only thing that I could understand is restricting it to Sub only. What you did with this patch man. I just don't know what to say. I've been here since beta, but you guys are running this into the ground. Then taking a number 2 on top of it. Figure it out guys or the game is going to die.

This is just stupid..

Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 03:18 PM | #4
It is hard to disagree with any of this, it's a poor, poor show from Bioware EA.

(the irony being that 1.6 is quite good if you can ignore these issues - but it's impossible to do so)
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Kaliren
12.11.2012 , 03:21 PM | #5
Absolutely and utterly agreed. I've enjoyed seasonal, limited-time quest events since my Asheron's Call days. That Bioware chose to monetize this holiday for everybody strikes me as being incredibly miserly. I pay for content with my subscription. Now, if I want any of the holiday/anniversary items, I have to take my chances on the GTN if I don't want to buy cartel coins. I was expecting a fun event, and I'm very disappointed by the lack of it.

Bioware, you are alienating long-term subscribers, your bread-and-butter, with these decisions. (I played the last 2 months of beta, participated in the pre-order early launch, and have subscribed continuously since then.)
Proud officer of <Dark Aftermath>,The Bastion
Now open recruiting! /whisper me!
Yseult, Medic Operative
Alts- (empire) Otsana, Aluel; (republic) Raefn

ShiningKnights
12.11.2012 , 03:25 PM | #6
It seems that 1.6 is actually a step backwards for Bioware, but I do get the feeling it's the money-grubbing EA guys at the top calling the shots while the PM's and engineers have little say in it.

Valethar
12.11.2012 , 03:25 PM | #7
You forgot the ridiculously overpriced speeder at $18 bucks a pop. Yes, it's part of the Lifeday stuff, but $18? ROFL.

I guess there are enough lemmings who will actually pay that, but I'm not one of em.
"Due to the massive loss of subscribers in our flagship title, we decided to cancel Blizzcon this year, because frankly, we don't think there's anyone left who would show up."

Razot
12.11.2012 , 03:29 PM | #8
Self entitlement much?
Everyone told you this would happen as its happened in every game that goes freemium or places a cash shop in game.
Again nobody is forcing you to buy anything as its just pixels man so calm down. This is why so many people bashed on the FTP model as the cash shop is to get the FTP on quality of life needs the subs get milked from cash shop by adding shiny crap and eventually PTW items.

I left the game for about 5 months and just came back and tbh I am enjoying the game a lot more now as the core of it does seem better, I just have never been much into fluff so the cash shop means very little to me and tbh I am enjoying watching you shiny chasers spend loads of money on useless crap so imo working as intended!

Slurmez
12.11.2012 , 03:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Razot View Post
Self entitlement much?
Everyone told you this would happen as its happened in every game that goes freemium or places a cash shop in game.
Again nobody is forcing you to buy anything as its just pixels man so calm down. This is why so many people bashed on the FTP model as the cash shop is to get the FTP on quality of life needs the subs get milked from cash shop by adding shiny crap and eventually PTW items.

I left the game for about 5 months and just came back and tbh I am enjoying the game a lot more now as the core of it does seem better, I just have never been much into fluff so the cash shop means very little to me and tbh I am enjoying watching you shiny chasers spend loads of money on useless crap so imo working as intended!
Actually no game thats gone f2p or has a cash shop feels as cheap or as much of a blatent cash grab as SWTOR now does it wouldnt be so bad if you could vendor the 80% garbage that you get in the cartel packs but you cant so its just outright insulting.

Divona
12.11.2012 , 03:31 PM | #10
Dear OP. I pretty much know how f2p MMO's work be it fully F2P or with p2p they all end up same eventually like it or not. i quote myself what i wrote and warned many months ago when f2p was announced with cartel market.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...60#post5193360
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...23#post5136523

Few things havent yet hit but Bioware is going forward even faster i could predicted.