Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pay2Win Space Missions ???

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZudetGambeous
12.11.2012 , 09:48 AM | #71
I suspect many players won't be able to complete the T7 missions even with the new gear. At least depending on what class you are.

I can't compare the T7 missions, but the previous T6 mission had a HUGE gap between classes. In full artifact T6 parts, EMP, scrambler, and charger my JC could just barely complete the Impossible Sector mission with about 20% life left. My IA with blue T5 equipment and only the charger could complete the imperial equivalent with full life without ever even going below 50% shields.

So far with full T7 equipment my JC has only been able to beat 2 of the missions. With a little more practice i'm sure I can get the rest, but I started lagging so badly that I couldn't play anymore.
I tell you this: though neither he nor they yet know it, he is the greatest of all the Jedi. Jacen Solo is the living Jedi dream. Even without the Force, he is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine."

Elear
12.11.2012 , 09:51 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by HelinCarnate View Post
Correct, but for most people, they cannot complete the new missions without the gade 7 stuff. So they have to grind out for a month to get the upgrades or take the easy way and just buy the gear. I am afraid that many will simply just buy the gear and this will just encourage EA to put in more p2w stuff in the game.
People that aren't even getting close to completing them in T6 won't complete them in full T7 either. Missions are hard, just as they are supposed to be.

Quote: Originally Posted by ReallYDeepMan View Post
There will be an impact, it should start to depress the price of the Stabilizers as increased supply enters the market, given that, once people can do the new missions, they'll be netting 240 Fleet comms in 30 minutes, rather than the former 100 Comms in 70 minutes.

The increased access to BH comms could also reduce the demand on the grade 27 crafted stuff.
Except that it's 320 Fleet comms, and per week, as oposed to old missions that give rewards every day. And yeah, it might take 30 min to do them all, if you can do them at all.
16 extra comms per week won't break anything either.

MrSchmo
12.11.2012 , 09:53 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by HelinCarnate View Post
Correct, but for most people, they cannot complete the new missions without the gade 7 stuff. So they have to grind out for a month to get the upgrades or take the easy way and just buy the gear. I am afraid that many will simply just buy the gear and this will just encourage EA to put in more p2w stuff in the game.
Of course they can't beat them yet, they've been out for only 2 hours. Why do people instantly think they can complete content? Takes practice and skill to do these. They even mention how challenging these space missions are going to be.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

ReallYDeepMan
12.11.2012 , 09:55 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
Except that it's 320 Fleet comms, and per week, as oposed to old missions that give rewards every day. And yeah, it might take 30 min to do them all, if you can do them at all.
16 extra comms per week won't break anything either.
If it's per week, I stand corrected, I had been going by Dulfy's post which had them as dailies.

I haven't gotten a chance to do the new ones yet on live so I can't confirm.

Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 09:55 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by dpwms View Post
No, using an official means of acquiring an in-game item is not a circumvention.
Of course it is , circumvention officially is still circumvention, in fact it couldn't possible BE P2W if it wasn't offcial (it would be just plain cheating).

You pay you miss out on grind, that's P2W by its very defination.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

BJWyler
12.11.2012 , 09:55 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Nonsense.

P2W occurs whenever a player can circumvent an aspect of the game simply by paying money to do so.
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Of course it is , circumvention officially is still circumvention.

You pay you miss out on grind, that's P2W by its very defination.
Incorrect:
"Pay-to-win" is sometimes used as a derogatory term to refer to games where paying for in-game items can give the player an advantage over other players, particularly if the items cannot be obtained by free means.

Critics of the free-to-play approach are concerned that if players that paid for special items subsequently become better at a multiplayer game than those who did not purchase the same items, then it will not be as enjoyable as other games since players who paid more money are more successful than those who simply rely on skill. These games are known as "Pay-to-Win" (often abbreviated P2W) games.

So far as we know, nothing in the CM is more powerful than anything that can be gotten in game, and some of those items are available both in game and in the CM.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

Vitellius
12.11.2012 , 09:56 AM | #77
Firstly we have to define our terms. As I see it...

Pay to Win: Unless you pay real money, you will never win. It is impossible to beat the content without paying (beyond what you already pay for your subscription). If you do not pay real money (again, beyond your subscription), it is IMPOSSIBLE to complete said content. You will never beat it....ever...unless you pay. There is absolutely NO other way to get the stuff you need without paying.

If you're a subscriber, this is already not P2W because you get a monthly allotment of cartel coins. The issue we have here is one of time. Basically, people don't want to grind. They want to beat the content grind-free immediately.

Now, i'm at work, so I haven't played the new space stuff. I can't speak to its difficulty, but iv'e already read, "I can do it fine with lower tier stuff" and, "I tried 3 times and can't do it....therefore it's impossible". Amazing the contradiction level in this thread. I'll try it out myself later today and see how I feel about it.

We clearly have "PLAY a ton to win eventually" or "PAY so you can win as fast as you can". It's your choice. This space pack is a time sink. Nothing more. It's made for casual people that enjoy the space challenge and are in no rush to beat it all overnight. Bioware is teaching you a lesson in sociology. Who's gonna be the first one that HATES space, but will line up to spend real cash to fly through this new stuff? Who indeed?
"Smoke me a kipper...i'll be back for breakfast." -Ace Rimmer

Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 09:58 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
Incorrect:
"Pay-to-win" is sometimes used as a derogatory term to refer to games where paying for in-game items can give the player an advantage over other players, particularly if the items cannot be obtained by free means.

Critics of the free-to-play approach are concerned that if players that paid for special items subsequently become better at a multiplayer game than those who did not purchase the same items, then it will not be as enjoyable as other games since players who paid more money are more successful than those who simply rely on skill. These games are known as "Pay-to-Win" (often abbreviated P2W)[7] games.

So far as we know, nothing in the CM is more powerful than anything that can be gotten in game, and some of those items are available both in game and in the CM.

BJ

Again incorrect.

P2W is anything that allows you to circumvent gameplay (which yes gives some form of an advange - as this doe)
by paying money,

This is P2W, you can pretend it's not, but pretending a bear isn't a bear doesn't make it not a bear.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

TUXs
12.11.2012 , 09:58 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by EATtheDEAD View Post
This is why f2p and sub/cash shop games are a virus infecting and destroying this once great genre of gaming. And we are all already infected.
Sooooo true!!!! Well stated!

If people REALLY hated the model, they wouldn't buy so many 'things' from the cash shop. I certainly don't blame EA for selling crap that's appealing...they're in this short term.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

KostonxEld
12.11.2012 , 09:59 AM | #80
Ya this is BS! Pay2win for sure. Making it easy to get bh and daily Comms with real world money! You should have to work for the new space parts not buy them outright if you are rich irl! It sucks but I'm really just waiting for te next big mmo to come out now. EA and Bioware have made me really upset with the cc market and I'm about done here
Bring it on Sith, the Jedi shall prevail!