Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Pay2Win Space Missions ???

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Pulpp's Avatar


Pulpp
12.11.2012 , 02:42 PM | #251
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
The problem is, you thinking that if this is P2W, why didnt you point that out when the shop first came out? You can buy all sorts of items and sell them for credits in-game and use those to buy better gear. Why didnt you say it was P2W then? What is different about these ship parts? They do not offer you a bigger advantage than those intermediate gear sets do.

This makes me think you are just trying to hate. Your analysis is convenient and not accurate.
Uhhh, if you read my post, I highlight the start of P2W imo (before the thing even launched). And how do you know what I have said? Are you just making a random post and hoping you managed to make a point? Well...good for you, I guess. You failed but whatever.

I've watched a number of games transition to f2p and it's usually a slow push to p2w, slowly eroding the players perception of what's acceptable. EA is special though, they set the bar right from the gate. With the UI unlocks, crystals and the rest, that we have these new ship parts isn't a big suprise. What's next? Raid gear, stat boosters and seperate timered consumables. I know what you are saying..."NO way they ever add that" but mark my words, you'll see it soon. It's the same way in every f2p game, EA is just greedier and faster.
--
Entitled whiners don't understand the new F2P model purposefully offers a stripped down version of the game to entice people to subscribe, because polls showed people were not willing to subscribe to the full version of the game (wait...what?!).

TheIrage's Avatar


TheIrage
12.11.2012 , 02:42 PM | #252
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
You are completely overstating things. The rewards you get from the space mini-game are not worth anything without effort by aquiring them, leveling up crafting, getting recipes and getting other needed mats. There is no P2W here, you're just beeing dense.
PW2 = you pay money and you get the best gear in the game. This is NOT it. You still have to put in alot of effort to get the gear from this stage. Actually its alot easier to just buy it from the GTN or just running some raids or some warzones for it. It certainly isnt the easiest way to go around it. All this does is give people who like the space missions a tangeable reward to make it worthwhile.
I honestly do not get your argument. You are saying it is not P2W because, responding to whom you queoted, the rewards for doing space missions are minimal ( so no pay towards gearing your charecter)

BUT you say P2W = pay to get the best gear in game... well you are paying to get the best gear for the Space Missions, it is a minigame but it is part of the game and has its own progression.

Lostpenguins's Avatar


Lostpenguins
12.11.2012 , 02:43 PM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
You are completely overstating things. The rewards you get from the space mini-game are not worth anything without effort by aquiring them, leveling up crafting, getting recipes and getting other needed mats. There is no P2W here, you're just beeing dense.
PW2 = you pay money and you get the best gear in the game. This is NOT it. You still have to put in alot of effort to get the gear from this stage. Actually its alot easier to just buy it from the GTN or just running some raids or some warzones for it. It certainly isnt the easiest way to go around it. All this does is give people who like the space missions a tangeable reward to make it worthwhile.
First off, the bolded statement. No, that's not what Pay 2 Win means. Paying money doesn't mean you get the best gear. Paying money to give yourself an advantage in gameplay mechanics... that's pay to win... point blank.

Follow with me. Does this system allow you to buy something in the game with real cash that gives you an advantage in gameplay mechanics? If yes, then it's pay to win. Doesn't matter if it's for a small part of the game, doesn't matter if that isn't the end-all-be-all for all your gear. Doesn't matter that you can't get all gear simply by paying. The fact remains there's a way to buy something with real cash to give you an advantage in this game that someone who doesn't spend that cash can't obtain just as quickly.

Anzel's Avatar


Anzel
12.11.2012 , 02:43 PM | #254
Quote: Originally Posted by EATtheDEAD View Post
No they are attainable in game, but it takes a lot of work to get them. Or you could just buy the pack containing everything you need instantly for real money.
Perfect
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 02:43 PM | #255
Quote: Originally Posted by PandaKeeper View Post
I was a previous subscriber and i subscribe now as well. I honestly do not see the difference in my gaming experience. It is just as good now, and at just the same pace. It seems to me that it is more or less just people more worried about other people and their playstyle than their own.

A grind is a grind is a grind. I am surprised heroic level space gear isnt even longer of a grind, but i would surmise that its because of the admittedly limited number of missions available in space. I dont know. You are free to believe whatever you like, of course. But I just dont see why people cannot just enjoy the experience this game has to offer and stop nitpicking everything.
Whether you see it or not is irrelevent, it is there.

Quote: Originally Posted by dpwms View Post
Its jealousy and epeen, 100%. Earning the comms from the space missions helps people gear up for HMs and Ops. Its to everyone's benefit that more people equip endgame gear, but pettiness blinds people.
He was saying it doesn't help, you are saying it does help but it doesn't matter because everyone is Borg....... and yet you think you agree with each other.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

DarthOvertone's Avatar


DarthOvertone
12.11.2012 , 02:44 PM | #256
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
You can earn things outside of the "space mini-game" with the "space mini-game", it is P2W.
It's not P2W. You are equivocating so badly on the P2W idea that you have blurred the meaning of the concept entirely.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
To get them they can P2W to avoid the upgrade grind, thereby circumventing much of the process through paying cash - this is textbook P2W.
Wrong. What you have described is textbook Pay-For-Convenience.


Quote: Originally Posted by ShiningKnights View Post
However, it seems the general direction of the game is going P2W, and it looks like selling high lvl starship upgrades is the first step to this-which unfortunately confirms my suspicions.
The starship upgrades are not P2W. You can rest your worried head now.


Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
That is P2W. It's creating an advantage in gameplay mechanics that goes beyond cosmetics.
Wrong. P2W is something only available in the store that gives a player an unfair advantage over another player which cannot be acquired through normal gameplay.

Nothing you have listed as an item, example or argument fits the definition of Pay to Win. You are objecting to the Convenience aspect of the store in which some players choose to participate.

You don't even understand what you are arguing against. lulz


Quote: Originally Posted by Pulpp View Post
ANY item that can be purchased to give the player an advantage for in-game content is a P2W item.
That is not P2W. See the definition above and try again.
War Hero Alphabolt - Garbage S1 & S2-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphabain - Scoundrel | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Battlemaster Alphafett - Mercenary
I See Your Schwartz Is As Big As Mine!

Lostpenguins's Avatar


Lostpenguins
12.11.2012 , 02:45 PM | #257
Quote: Originally Posted by dpwms View Post
Heh. People with bigger wallets can buy more. Yeah that makes no sense whatsoever. No parallel to reality there.
Sorry, but that ruins the fairness of the game. You seems to be missing the point... completely.

dpwms's Avatar


dpwms
12.11.2012 , 02:45 PM | #258
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
He was saying it doesn't help, you are saying it does help but it doesn't matter because everyone is Borg....... and yet you think you agree with each other.
He is saying it doesn't help without additional effort, which is true, and I am saying it helps the community at large if more people are geared up for endgame content. I don't see those as being incompatible.

ReallYDeepMan's Avatar


ReallYDeepMan
12.11.2012 , 02:46 PM | #259
Quote: Originally Posted by notalkjustrock View Post
They are making grinds longer than they would be butfor the cash shop. That is the problem.
Exactly right. Same reason the HK unlock is 1 mil credits, to drive people towards the CC option.

Printing solutions is one thing, manufacturing problems and then printing solutions is a whole new level...

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 02:46 PM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by dpwms View Post
He is saying it doesn't help without additional effort, which is true, and I am saying it helps the community at large if more people are geared up for endgame content. I don't see those as being incompatible.
It reduces the total effort needed, which is P2W.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1