Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

life day items on cartel market insulting.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
life day items on cartel market insulting.

Fornix
12.15.2012 , 05:39 AM | #901
Quote: Originally Posted by Skorz View Post
How can people justify this? It seems no matter what EA/BW does, some blind fanboys still have the "big deal.. if you don't what to spend real money then don't" attitude.
Because that's just the way it is. How can people keep on making more out of this than what we've already seen in MMO's for years and years?

Roughly 8 years ago, when more and more MMO's started charging for character name changes, it was the same story. Previously? It was common to have ingame items which allowed for a name change, which allowed for a character looks change, etc. Slowly, that phased in towards "services".

Currently, many people find it acceptable to pay for server transfer, name changes, etc.

Whilst in reality, that's all coming down from the same sort of initial history.

Cosmetic items are now just a form of history repeating itself. It's not going to change. Heck, it's not like it really matters anyway. Just like as to how with names I simply stick to one, and in terms of a server I simply stick to a single server, I really can't be fussed over whether to use certain cosmetics or not either. Do I want to have that unique look? Fine, I'll just use up some of my saved up cartel coins or buy it on the GTN. Otherwise? I'll just let it be there.

The game plays perfectly fine that way, I'm not being forced to pay anything beyond my subscription to actually play the content so.
Member of <Helix>

Alec_Fortescue
12.15.2012 , 05:52 AM | #902
I don't understand why would people buy those items in the first place.

They look awful, they're not "star warsy" and they're very expensive. What's the point of having event items if there is no events to participate in? :L
Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 - Accept my referral to express gratitude for my years-long fight for iconic Jedi attire in this "Star Wars" game. You'll get some goodies on top of it, too.

Drpineapples
12.15.2012 , 06:31 AM | #903
I am considering cancelling my sub because of this. Subscribers have to pay for this rubbish it should at leat be an event, bioware this is totally insulting to your subscriber base, the people who ok'd this are not fit to make decicions on the game they are managing.

The life day stuff on the market:-
Look rubbish.
Are expensive.
Have no imagination with regards to the starwars universe.
Are a total joke.

They must be joking with this garbage....they must be...
Pork chop sandwiches!

spectreclees
12.15.2012 , 06:32 AM | #904
Not sure why none of this stuff wasn't an event. GW2 just launched it's holiday event and I must say it is a blast! I'm loving it.. sad to say I won't be on tor much these next two weeks.

Macheath
12.15.2012 , 06:46 AM | #905
Quote: Originally Posted by spectreclees View Post
Not sure why none of this stuff wasn't an event. GW2 just launched it's holiday event and I must say it is a blast! I'm loving it.. sad to say I won't be on tor much these next two weeks.
I don't even like Guild Wars 2 that much, but man is their holiday event fun.

...And free of additional charge. Sure, they have some holiday items available in the cash shop, as is to be expected, but they also (pay attention, BioWare) have a bunch of items that are going to be attainable in the game. Random "gift boxes" drop all over the world which contain what amounts to tokens, exchangeable for items that we haven't seen yet. Competing in their holiday events (jumping puzzles, giant snowball fights, etc.) also awards these tokens.

The point is, they offered a bunch of stuff to their customers without charging extra for it. When they do that, it doesn't matter that they also put items in the cash shop, because the player feels appreciated. The cash shop stuff is just the extras tacked on to the free event, instead of taking center stage as the only things being offered.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

LegendaryBlade
12.15.2012 , 06:49 AM | #906
This is the first holiday "event"/thing/whatever i've ever seen in an MMO that actually encouraged a lot of people to cancel their sub.

Good job Bioware, phenomenal work.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

Kazaganthis
12.15.2012 , 07:19 AM | #907
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
This is the first holiday "event"/thing/whatever i've ever seen in an MMO that actually encouraged a lot of people to cancel their sub.

This literally made me laugh out loud...God I almost spit soda everywhere. Good job sir, good job. Someone call Guiness for BW though and tell them of their first ever.

Divona
12.15.2012 , 08:52 AM | #908

I was thinking same thing. Then i started to think that they maybe want to scare subscribers off totally and only get people playing this game who are stupid enough to spend tons of money without getting montly sub ever.

There is no explanation at all for charging everyone even subscribers to enjoy 1 year anniversary and it hapens to be close to christmas aswell. Mind boggling i never ever seen any MMO not giving anything meaningful to loyal players when it comes to 1 year celebrations or christmas. Even those f2p model based games have at least christmas quests to collect fun items if there are no events.

Still mind boggling how its done in this game. It really feels there is no common sense left in Bioware office (i know its mostly EA now) and only seeks to squeeze as much money they can now.

DAMossimo
12.15.2012 , 08:57 AM | #909

Perfectly said. It would be hysterically funny if only it weren't so blantantly true.

Drpineapples
12.15.2012 , 09:31 AM | #910

Again...Exactly!
Pork chop sandwiches!