Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

life day items on cartel market insulting.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
life day items on cartel market insulting.

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
12.11.2012 , 02:55 PM | #551
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post

He's not using a magic 8-ball, unfortunately he's directly quoting what an EA exec said about 6 months ago now.
Disingenuous. Only one part of the statement was a quote, and it wasn't a prediction, therefore not what the person you quoted was referring to.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 02:57 PM | #552
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Disingenuous. Only one part of the statement was a quote, and it wasn't a prediction, therefore not what the person you quoted was referring to.
Ah, fair enough.
So far we only have P2W and hideous price gouging confirmed.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Quraswren's Avatar


Quraswren
12.11.2012 , 03:13 PM | #553
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Disingenuous. Only one part of the statement was a quote, and it wasn't a prediction, therefore not what the person you quoted was referring to.
He gets confused a lot. You'll have to over look it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
SNIPů

Would you be ok to pay for such an event? And if so how much would be reasonable?
SNIP...)
As a subscriber, an event like the plague event or if Life Day was similar, no I would not pay for it. The $15 a month does have to go toward new playable content at some point. Not just access to the game and bug fixes, actual playable content.

However, themed cosmetic gear and lets be honest as this point that's all it is with no actual event. I say sell it.

BJWyler's Avatar


BJWyler
12.11.2012 , 03:21 PM | #554
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Well you post an awful, awful lot on this subject for someome that absolutely doesn't care one way or another about any of it.
I didn't care about the event one way or the other. I am simply posting and offering my opinion on why selling Life Day items on the cartel market is not insulting nor anything else negative, because I do not find it to be such. Therefore, I will be speaking with my wallet and continue to buy things in the cartel market to support a game I still very much enjoy playing.

BJ
Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

Wretched Hive Recap The premier SWTOR Forum Discussion Show

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 03:22 PM | #555
Quote: Originally Posted by Quraswren View Post
He gets confused a lot. You'll have to over look it.
To be fair when you say price doesn't matter and then say price does matter and then say you don't care if there's and event and then that you do care, it's hard not to get confused.

Quote:
As a subscriber, an event like the plague event or if Life Day was similar, no I would not pay for it. The $15 a month does have to go toward new playable content at some point. Not just access to the game and bug fixes, actual playable content.
You'd have no choice though, in that context, if you want to experience it you'd have to pay for it.
Quote:
However, themed cosmetic gear and lets be honest as this point that's all it is with no actual event. I say sell it.
Which is strange becasue the rewards for pretty much every event are themed cosmetic gear and mounts (see again I'm confused by this).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

JSitruc's Avatar


JSitruc
12.11.2012 , 03:24 PM | #556
those of us that remember the rakgoul (sp) plague and chevin events will miss the days before F2P / cartel market. I foresee events in the future requiring your to pay (real cash) for the events and rewards that go with them. Im not going to quit the game, i am just gonna sit here behind the screen and stew in my anger toward the decision makers of this game.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 03:25 PM | #557
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
I didn't care about the event one way or the other. I am simply posting and offering my opinion on why selling Life Day items on the cartel market is not insulting nor anything else negative, because I do not find it to be such. Therefore, I will be speaking with my wallet and continue to buy things in the cartel market to support a game I still very much enjoy playing.

BJ
So out of interest what price point would you say was too much for Life Day Packs?
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Katsuragisama's Avatar


Katsuragisama
12.11.2012 , 03:28 PM | #558
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
Title says it all really but I'll elaborate, please note this isnt a "BW SUX LOL" thread. I'm putting a lot of thought and effort in this post

With today's 1.6 patch I dont even know anymore if Ill stick around as a paying subscriber. Why? So many reasons!
First of all lets start with the patch itself, it came out very fast, about 3hours before they said it would be and thats a good thing right? Wrong. There's inherent bugs in it that should've been fixed and plain lies in the patchnotes. Items instantly binding to people from Cartel packs? Subscribers not being able to log in but being put in a queue (to which the CS doesnt even bother to reply), apparently low XP from Warzones and a few others Ive seen floating around. Come on BioWare, this was your moment to shine! 1.5 brought so many tasty goodies! A Cartel Market that was optional and more people coming in to play, it was going to be fun!
But then the greed kicked in didnt it? This brings me to part two.
You're getting greedy BioWare/EA (I dont know who is to blame here so I'll keep putting both) and I dont like it.

You're selling Life Day stuff exclusively on the Cartel Market, why? If the subscribers got something out of it, fine but we dont get anything except some fireworks (woohoo....nice 1 year anniversary), and before people think Im being "entitled", this isn't being entitled. The people who subscribe have one up on the F2P people and this is past the no limits on Ops and Warzones. I pay $15 a month for this game and I was planning on staying a subscriber simply because Id hope that I wasnt going to be excluded from special stuff like this, but now it appears I am being excluded unless I pay extra on top of my subscription and I cant afford that.
And then there's the new Grade 7 Space stuff. If this is any indication for your Super Secret Space Project you can cancel it, its money grabbing. You know damn well that a lot of people will be too lazy to earn all those comms/creds and whatnots. I hope that people realize that this is also something thats simply NOT done and express this by not buying the upgrades and not playing the new Space missions.

And then I just read that there's no events planned for either the anniversary OR Christmas? Im not a religious person and I dont really care about Christmas but even I recognise it as THE holiday of most of your customers.
Again this was a chance for you to shine BioWare! No Life Day event means that the Life Day stuff you put on the Cartel Market will have no significant value since lets be honest, it aint that pretty.

All of these things combined make me fear BioWare... it makes me fear for the new species, will they be Cartel Market only? Will subscribers have to pay extra for them? And what about Makeb? How big of an expansion will it be and will subscribers get any good deals on that? What about the good old CE vendor? Are you forgetting about that? Will you finally get all of your CS representatives to the same competence since some of them really suck at following their scripting or have no imagination to think outside of the box (Im available if you need me, Ive done it before)? Or will you give up on us, your loyal people, and only care about money? Are you going to play the money game rather than the game game.
You guys are BioWare for pete's sake! You guys made RPG's to what they are today! Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Knight of the Old Republic, Dragon Age: Origins and even Mass Effect 1! gosh darnit, you're making me angry here! And sad... sad because we dont want to lose a company that contributed so much to us. Angry because you are letting yourself get played like idiots!
So I implore you developers, artists, writers, programmers and management of BioWare. Leave BioWare/EA behind if they are in the way between you and great games, if they force you onto this mediocrity of gaming. Dont let yourself become part of a milkmachine like Activision and EA Sports.
Leave or tell EA where to stick it and make some GOOD content for SWTOR (and other games) with thoughts to the FANS and not the money. I understand you guys have a certain ROI you need to make, but this isnt how to do it. This is thinking on short term.

Show us that you love us as much as we love you, because we have infinite love for you and your games.

Please, turn it in the other direction when it was good. Remember that we always love you and we know its not all your fault

To the people who are making these "business choices": I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
Well, first off, I just say EAWare. BioWare was bought out by EA, and no longer it exist. Yes the BioWare logo is on the game and the forums. But that's just a marketing trick used by EA. They buy up well known companies, run them into the ground, and then shut them down.

That said, EAWare has no quality assurance to begin with. We've always seen countless bugs added to the game after each patch, and many of them take months to be fixed. I dont know why you'd be surprised here.

I'm not religious either. Agnostic actually, but that doesnt mean I dont enjoy social events in MMOs. Like ringing bells and running around in a freaking Santa outfit like I did in FFXIV when it first released. And all of the countless events I participated in on FFXI.

I would enjoy an actual event in SW:TOR (and not a half assed one). But they had 2 choices. Make a new event using more resources to create said event. Or make for a quick cash grab with holiday cartel packs instead. Obviously, a game that has lost many of its subscribers since launch, along with the cost to produce, and the upkeep, they needed a quick cash grab instead. Dont expect this to change anytime soon.

Ofcourse they're sure people dont wanna play their on rails space missions. They've known this for a while. Ofcourse they know people will spend money on their lottery packs. It's why it was invented in the first place.

Quote:
You guys are BioWare for pete's sake!
EAWare. BioWare died on Oct 11th, 2007. EA has always been a money grabbing company, that doesnt care about their customers or gamers. Their attitude will continue to be the same.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello, Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time... We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Gavin_Kelvar's Avatar


Gavin_Kelvar
12.11.2012 , 03:30 PM | #559
Quote:
People should have KNOWN that limited time items would be priced as high or higher than regular CM items because that's how ALL limited time items work even in the real world.
Quote:
Sorry but that is utter nonsense how could anybody have possibly known that there'd:

1. Be time limited items for Life Day.

2. That they'd cost 4 months worth of 6 month rate subscription coins per character.
1)no one knew IF they would do a Life Day I grant that. However, from what I gather most MMOs (and other types of online games that have a cash shop from my experience) do some sort of holiday/seasonal celebration. So it sounds to me like people expected there to be some sort of Life Day theme, they just weren't sure if there would be or what form such a theme would take. If anyone bothered to look at EA's F2P branch EASY they'd know that EA likes to sell items in their cash shop that are holiday themed and have very little in the way of free goodies, if they give away any freebees.

Assuming for the moment that people didn't bother to look up EASY I don't see why people didn't ever think the devs would take advantage of the season to sell things in the CM. Even if they had an event that gave free stuff (which would apparently follow other MMO's) it's not a stretch of logic to assume that they would sell stuff, at exactly the current prices, that were holiday themed and exclusive to the CM. From a business standpoint to do otherwise would miss a golden opportunity to earn extra money by slapping on the "limited time only" tag on a few items.

I'd wager that if there had been no Life Day theme at all people would still be complaining because it'd be breaking with other MMOs that at least do something. That TOR's Life Day was pure CM is a curve ball for all of us I'll grant but from what I gather in this thread people are upset that the expected Life Day theme is CM only and no event. Which is disappointing too and I would've liked to have had an event go along with CM stuff. Given all the doomsayers predicting the game's death unless F2P generates massive amounts of cash it isn't a surprise that the devs took the opportunity to have Life Day themed items for sale in the CM.

2)If one bothered to look at the pricing of the full armor sets (which cost about 2 months of stipends for 1 toon unless they lowered the price from the ~1,000 CC they go for when I last looked) it's logical to assume that any limited time items will be priced to cost at least 3 months worth of saving. To expect items to be as cheap or cheaper than the regular full armor sets defies all logic since in no store, game world or real life, will you find a limited time item that doesn't charge the maximum price possible.

Given that before F2P launched people were already telling people that the stipend would be insufficient to buy many CM items for a single toon without saving for months on end there's no reason to be surprised that limited time items cost a fair bit of cash unless one still believed that the stipend would be sufficient to buy all CM items without having to save for many months.

You didn't have to know that we'd be celebrating Life Day to conclude that whenever the first limited time items hit the CM that they'd cost at least 2 months of subscription stipends for 1 toon. The first limited time only CM items hit sooner that many thought I'll grant but that doesn't mean people shouldn't have anticipated that limited time items would come at a high CC price.

Quote:
In fact given the cost of the pack and the maxium rate of coin gain for a 6 month subsciber it is simply not possible for subscriber to have saved up for more than ONE pack, even if they had know about this from the Live date.
And I believe the full armor non-limited time sets would take 2 months of saving to buy them on one toon. So why is it a surprise that a limited time packs is priced double that amount?

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 03:42 PM | #560
Quote: Originally Posted by Gavin_Kelvar View Post
1)no one knew IF they would do a Life Day I grant that. However, from what I gather most MMOs (and other types of online games that have a cash shop from my experience) do some sort of holiday/seasonal celebration. If anyone bothered to look at EA's F2P branch EASY they'd know that EA likes to sell items in their cash shop that are holiday themed and have very little in the way of free goodies, if they give away any freebees.

Assuming for the moment that people didn't bother to look up EASY I don't see why people didn't ever think the devs would take advantage of the season to sell things in the CM. Even if they had an event that gave free stuff (which would apparently follow other MMO's) it's not a stretch of logic to assume that they would sell stuff, at exactly the current prices, that were holiday themed and exclusive to the CM. From a business standpoint to do otherwise would miss a golden opportunity to earn extra money by slapping on the "limited time only" tag on a few items.
Again it was not possbile for anyone to know if they were or were not doing a Life Day Event, what if any items would be sold or part of any event, nor what price they would be sold for.

Quote:
2)If one bothered to look at the pricing of the full armor sets (which cost about 2 months of stipends for 1 toon unless they lowered the price from the ~1,000 CC they go for when I last looked) it's logical to assume that any limited time items will be priced to cost at least 3 months worth of saving. To expect items to be as cheap or cheaper than the regular full armor sets defies all logic since in no store, game world or real life, will you find a limited time item that doesn't charge the maximum price possible.

Given that before F2P launched people were already telling people that the stipend would be insufficient to buy many CM items for a single toon without saving for months on end there's no reason to be surprised that limited time items cost a fair bit of cash unless one still believed that the stipend would be sufficient to buy all CM items without having to save for many months.

You didn't have to know that we'd be celebrating Life Day to conclude that whenever the first limited time items hit the CM that they'd cost at least 2 months of subscription stipends for 1 toon. The first limited time only CM items hit sooner that many thought I'll grant but that doesn't mean people shouldn't have anticipated that limited time items would come at a high CC price.
Again it is not "logical" that Holiday theme items would sell for "at least 3 month" worth of subscriber coins. It is purely from the School of pulling numbers from thin air.

The sell for a lot more than that 25% more if you have a 6 month sub and even more than that if you have a 3 or 1 month recurring sub.

Furthermore the more expensive sets you mention have stats in them the stat less items (as the LD ones are) sell for much LESS.


Quote:
And I believe the full armor non-limited time sets would take 2 months of saving to buy them on one toon. So why is it a surprise that a limited time packs is priced double that amount?
If you magically get 1200CC per month then yes they would take 2 month, but for everyone else that plays the game it's a least 4 months.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1