Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

life day items on cartel market insulting.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
life day items on cartel market insulting.

Gavin_Kelvar's Avatar


Gavin_Kelvar
12.11.2012 , 01:01 PM | #521
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
I can't imagine Bioware EA is suddenly going to go:

"Surprise! Remember all those items you paid a fortune for last week? Well this week for the low price of just 3000CC you can by the Life Day Event and get all the items you want for all your characters! Merry Life Day!"

I suspect the internet iself might melt.
Hence why I said any event items would be slight recolors. They can still sell the stuff on the CM but satisfy people who don't want to spend CC. Sure people who shelled out cash will be upset that someone has a near identical item but it's a matter of personal opinion of whether that's a rip off or not (keep in mind no where in the purchase does it say a reskin of this item will not be made available). Personally I don't think it would be a rip off since the people who get a reskin in a World Event still don't have the exact same item as the CM thing and you paid to get the CM item, not to have exclusive access to an item that would never under any circumstances have a doppelganger reskin.

And as I said an event can still earn them money because it then makes purchasing the Event Equipment Unlock actually serve a purpose since right now it's just a waste of space since there are no events. So a World Event still has the potential to earn them money even though it would appear to be giving items out for free.


Quote:
You CANNOT "save up" for the Life Day Pack they are "limited time" only, and given that it would take a 6 monthly subsciber 4 months to save up enough coins, unless that "limited time" means until next Christmas it's just impossible.
I comprehend that. My point was that many assumed prices would never be low enough on non-limited time only items to be bought without saving up for months on end. Why should limited time items then be items you don't have to save up for in advance or shell out cash to get? It would completely defy logic having non-limited time items priced so high you have to save up CC for 4 months but a limited-time-super-special-this-day-only item as buyable with 1-2 months worth of CC. I've never heard of limited time items being priced as significantly less than non-limited time items in any sort of market, game or real world.

People should have KNOWN that limited time items would be priced as high or higher than regular CM items because that's how ALL limited time items work even in the real world.

And as I've said if they plan to have a World Event they will in no way advertise this because that would decrease sales as people wait for the World Event to get things for free instead of being impatient and buying now. People are assuming that because the devs aren't talking about a World Event that there won't be one when it could all be part of a careful marketing strategy. Now maybe I'll be proved wrong when the New Year comes and no World Event happened but until then I'm not going to moan about no event when it would clearly be a marketing folly to advertise it as giving access to items for free when you are trying to sell them for cash too.

dscount's Avatar


dscount
12.11.2012 , 01:04 PM | #522
Bioware has STATED in another thread they have no Holiday Event planned. (Today actually)

Doesn't mean more will not follow in the new year, but nothing this season it appears.
Sage/Sorc Gate 2013 Combat DEV LOL Responses:
"...you must play defensively and make them pay for trying to kill you."
"...require a higher skill level than many players are comfortable with."

Gavin_Kelvar's Avatar


Gavin_Kelvar
12.11.2012 , 01:10 PM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
Bioware has STATED in another thread they have no Holiday Event planned. (Today actually)

Doesn't mean more will not follow in the new year, but nothing this season it appears.
I just saw that. The post was written before I became aware. At any rate the rest still stands in terms of pricing.

This is my first MMO but in EA's F2P group run by EASY (Battlefield Heroes, P4F etc.) they always sell Holiday themed items. Thus I'm not at all surprised that they stick to this them of selling the items instead of giving them out for free. In light of that I'd have been far more surprised if they had said "hey guys Happy Life Day, here's a bunch of free stuff that even pure F2P people get!" (as it wouldn't sit well if only subs got holiday themed items leaving Preferred/F2P out and if they're going to sell it on the CM why not make everyone who wants them pay in that case? It'd be rather odd to say "here buy them on the CM or buy a 1 month sub and we'll mail them to you as a bonus")

Lexiath's Avatar


Lexiath
12.11.2012 , 01:13 PM | #524
Not just the Life Day 'Event" (What event...? There is no event at all) but the whole Cartel Market is insulting.

DarthBeefPatty's Avatar


DarthBeefPatty
12.11.2012 , 01:20 PM | #525
Hi!
First of all I see the need to have a F2P option for the game, but what you are doing with the holiday items is an insult for every loyal SWTOR player.
Every triple A mmo has his holiday events, that gives the players the chance to aquire special items with event tokens.
You just put all the holiday stuff on CM to let people pay for it, that's such a insolence for a player with a sub.
Don't you see what bad PR this is, what very bad PR?

I believe no one would have been upset, if you would have offered these items as optional CM items, that lazy players just can buy them and giving every player, well even if it's just the sub players, the chance to aquire the items in an ingame event.

I believe there are many players, that would spend some cash in the CM beside their sub, if the CM has reasonable offers, which have no bad effect for the core game.
If you sell CM Packs with super rare fluff items, which can be bought all the time, I'm all fine with that.
For some people just count raiding and gearing, but there are people who pay their sub, who enjoy ingame events especially the holiday events, because they have become standard in a mmo game.

Well, I like SWTOR, I'm a loyal player who payed my sub since release, but at this point I'm happy that I have a RIFT one year sub, where I can enjoy lots of events for free, so at least I have there my FREE christmas event.
If the CM turns out to charge every player for everything, than the game won't make it.

Not nice to close my thread.

killahcheese's Avatar


killahcheese
12.11.2012 , 01:24 PM | #526
Amen, a low blow.

Also seems to be whole society now where Christmas is about $$$
Jesus is not amused.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 01:29 PM | #527
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
It's not a copout. I simply don't have an opinion one way or the other, because I do not care one way or the other, and so will not attempt to gaze in the crystal ball. It seems it's a moot point now anyway...
Then why does it bother you so much?

I win the bet btw:

Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hey folks!

While we're definitely excited about the new Life Day items in the Cartel Market, I wanted to make sure that you all knew that we do not have an in-game event planned for this. However, this doesn't mean that we don't have any in-game events planned for the future! We'll have more information for you sometime after the holidays.

Thank you!

Quote:
Of course MM isn't good - as a player you always want to see a game continue to kick out content, but unless it be fan made mods, no game has ever done that ad infinitum. Therefore, is the content that is already there enough to keep the core playerbase with the whales around. GW1 has proven that it can for half of it's life already. In terms of SWTOR, it will for me. For anyone else, that's purely up to them. Clearly, SWTOR is not in MM yet and they are apparently still working on the SSSP. If that comes to fruition, I dare say that there will be more than enough to keep the core fanbase engaged for a few more years when MM does hit - same as it did for SWG.

BJ
That is they way I see things going if they try to keep selling things twice.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 01:34 PM | #528
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
These items are no different than any other Cartel shop items. They are not available otherwise and you must pay for these optional items. They add fun and amusement and go above and beyond what you get for subscribing.

That they are "holiday related" only increases their appeal. That means people will be more likely to want them. That means that people will be more likely to buy them.

OMG, what is this company thinking... wanting people to buy stuff so they can make some money?!?


I think they are different, they aren't just cosmetic items, they a Holiday themed items, the sort of thing subscribers would get included in their subscription in most, if not all, SWTOR competitors.


Quote: Originally Posted by Quraswren View Post
Whenever a bug on my food affects my in game play I'll get an answer for you.
Bug on food not so ridiculous. Crying about price on digital items you don't need. Very much ridiculous.
It's precisely as ridiculous or not ridculous depending on your point of view as complaining about anything else you dislike, after all a dead bug on your steak would technically be a freebie and added protien.

Quote:
Depends, are you complaining about price and time limits or an alternate path through an in game event? If it's the later then yea we can agree. If its the former or both, then no not fully cause of what I have been reading you're all over the board on complaints today. EA, BW, time limits, price to high - you get my point I'm sure.
I think there should be an alternative way first and foremost

If there isn't then it is far, far, faaaaaaaaaaaaar too expensive.

So we agree.


Quote:
I can agree with that. Only having it in store is much more a problem than the crying about the cost or time frame. I am shocked there is no way at this time to play the game through a subscription and hit a world event.
There is no world event, and who is to say if there was we wouldn't have to pay extra for that too?
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

dscount's Avatar


dscount
12.11.2012 , 01:35 PM | #529
Look on the bright side. Still time to change X-Mas Wish List for many.

Those individuals asking for Cartel Coin X-MAS gifts can change them to GW2, Rift or WOW market cost items instead.

I'm just saying... I'd rather have a $40 gift card for something that brings me more value. BW is in the same business to make money and that's cool, but customers (Even faithful ones) are going to look for best value.

Right now.. Life in Day costs and Ship Parts costs are just plain crazy. I'll pass on 98% of them and see how the whole "Ninja XP Nerf" that is rumored showing up in PVP pans out.

- BW you are really going downhill in PR lately and this patch just continued to make it worse IMHO.
Sage/Sorc Gate 2013 Combat DEV LOL Responses:
"...you must play defensively and make them pay for trying to kill you."
"...require a higher skill level than many players are comfortable with."

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 01:38 PM | #530
Quote: Originally Posted by Gavin_Kelvar View Post
Hence why I said any event items would be slight recolors. They can still sell the stuff on the CM but satisfy people who don't want to spend CC. Sure people who shelled out cash will be upset that someone has a near identical item but it's a matter of personal opinion of whether that's a rip off or not (keep in mind no where in the purchase does it say a reskin of this item will not be made available). Personally I don't think it would be a rip off since the people who get a reskin in a World Event still don't have the exact same item as the CM thing and you paid to get the CM item, not to have exclusive access to an item that would never under any circumstances have a doppelganger reskin.

And as I said an event can still earn them money because it then makes purchasing the Event Equipment Unlock actually serve a purpose since right now it's just a waste of space since there are no events. So a World Event still has the potential to earn them money even though it would appear to be giving items out for free.
It's fairly moot now anyway there have stated THERE IS NO LIFE DAY EVENT PLANNED.

Quote: Originally Posted by Gavin_Kelvar View Post
I comprehend that. My point was that many assumed prices would never be low enough on non-limited time only items to be bought without saving up for months on end. Why should limited time items then be items you don't have to save up for in advance or shell out cash to get? It would completely defy logic having non-limited time items priced so high you have to save up CC for 4 months but a limited-time-super-special-this-day-only item as buyable with 1-2 months worth of CC. I've never heard of limited time items being priced as significantly less than non-limited time items in any sort of market, game or real world.

People should have KNOWN that limited time items would be priced as high or higher than regular CM items because that's how ALL limited time items work even in the real world.

And as I've said if they plan to have a World Event they will in no way advertise this because that would decrease sales as people wait for the World Event to get things for free instead of being impatient and buying now. People are assuming that because the devs aren't talking about a World Event that there won't be one when it could all be part of a careful marketing strategy. Now maybe I'll be proved wrong when the New Year comes and no World Event happened but until then I'm not going to moan about no event when it would clearly be a marketing folly to advertise it as giving access to items for free when you are trying to sell them for cash too.
Sorry but that is utter nonsense how could anybody have possibly known that there'd:

1. Be time limited items for Life Day.

2. That they'd cost 4 months worth of 6 month rate subscription coins per character.


No one could have possibly have know either, and it is a nonsense and somewhat insulting to suggest that it is somehow the subscribers "fault" for not know that.

In fact given the cost of the pack and the maxium rate of coin gain for a 6 month subsciber it is simply not possible for subscriber to have saved up for more than ONE pack, even if they had know about this from the Live date.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1