Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware: A Message From a Long Time Fan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bioware: A Message From a Long Time Fan

Stanimir
12.16.2012 , 02:36 PM | #51
Cross server queues would do the most for us, i think. Premades would have no excuse to be rolling PUGs if ranked popped. All of these other issues would be better if each game was competitive. I can deal with being stunned if the game is competitive. Being chain stunned in a roflstomp is frustrating, and Bioware has got to know this. Implement cross server, now!

SlimsPicken
12.16.2012 , 02:45 PM | #52
I remember back in beta when i used to take tons of time and write long well thought out posts about these issues.

I remember pretty much none of the suggestions and observations from those posts being taken seriously by the dev team.

Vitriol and disdain are my weapons now.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

Veniras
12.16.2012 , 03:27 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Stanimir View Post
Implement cross server, now!
Cross-server has been confirmed as being on "the back burner". If you see it in 2013 (or ever) I would be very surprised

Whitelightr
12.16.2012 , 03:33 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Aluvi View Post
PvP. PvP in SWTOR gets me fired up like nothing since WoW PvP did in the early days of it. It has also gone through some pretty drastic changes lately, and I disagree with most of these changes. Indeed, I feel that many of these changes were not needed, and have made the PvP balance and level of fun in PvP worse. I am going to cover all of the issues that I feel need addressed here, and I welcome discussion - but no flaming or finger pointing please, rational discussion only, of these topics. I will start with more general topics, and get down to the more class specific balance issues later.

Resolve

I understand how resolve works, but I simply don't like it. It's a lackluster system. In return for being stunned for up to 18 seconds straight, you get a few seconds of cc immunity. During this CC immunity, you will likely be slowed or rooted and unable to act anyway. This can be punishing for ranged classes, but it is especially punishing to melee. Every class has multiple stuns, snares, slows, and roots available to them. In general, you can spend up to 30-40% of your time in a warzone unable to act. Loss of control is one of the biggest complaints that people have in PvP. A much better system would be similar to what WoW has in place, where stuns, snares, and roots all have diminishing returns - the more you get stunned/snared/rooted, the less effect they have on you. Someone has suggested a system like this that would even use resolve. Rather than resolve ticking down to zero once you hit the cap, it diminishes slowly over time, and the higher your resolve currently is, the more resistant to stuns, roots, mezes, and ballistics you are. For example, 80% resolve would give you an 80% reduction in the time you are stunned, amount of time rooted, amount of slow % applied, and % chance to be pulled or pushed. Resolve should also build faster, I think 1.5x the current rate would be fair. Resolve would constantly diminish at a rate of say 50 per second. This is just one of many suggestions, but the current resolve system is simply not adequate. It is not fun. Recent class balance changes have brought to light just how unfun it is
A well thought out and intelligent post. I just wanted to touch on this part, I think (and said at launch) resolve should work this way:

All non-slow Mezzs should be Force/Tech based attacks (Force Stun, Force Leap Immoblize, Choke, Flash Bang)
**All Slows should be 'white' attacks (can miss, we'll ignore dodge/shield/etc mechanics for now)

Then change resolve to a % based resist chance. A 4 second stun adds 40 resolve (40% chance), and begins decreasing 3 seconds AFTER the stun ENDS at a rate of 10/s. A root adds 20 or 25 resolve(?).
IE 0/100 Resolve, any stun will land on you.
50/100 Resolve, 50% you'll get stunned, 50% chance you'll resist it.
100/100 Resolve, immunity for 3 seconds but gradual resist lost for 10 seconds.

This would reward INTELLIGENT use of stuns during large scale PvP and 1v1, instead of the current "stun'em early and often" we deal with.

**Slows could be added in to give resolve, and maybe they should be. But it would have to at a reduced rate. And some kind of mechanic to fix attacks that have built in slows (Force Lightning, Vanguard burn effect if talented, etc).

Who knows, maybe that idea totally blows. But at this point anything is better than what we have. I've always favored games that encourage intelligent use of CC.
Darklightr/Overpoweredtech
PT Tanks
Select Few

Frozenshiva
12.16.2012 , 04:09 PM | #55
Thought out post yes, intelligent quite
Subjective as hell? check check and triple check.

While i respect your opinion on the matter, and posting long topics is generally something i like reading, most of the things you say are just too subjective and do not take into account things like resources/resource management/profit/time investment vs return/etc. it's really a wasted effort.

We all want a perfect game but it just isn't going to happen. What you could do is understand how some of the things i mentioned above impact development of a title, and what changes could go through to actually HIT Live.

As long as money and profit dictate the life expectancy of a title, there will not be game that can make the majority of its player-base happy (by majority in this case i mean something like 90%, since 100% is impossible at any time)

Please continue and bring forth ideas and suggestions; you never really know what may become reality. Just don't think that because you have an idea that might be accepted by your peer it automatically means you are able to design a game of this magnitude.

P.S. Before anyone starts jumping the gun on me, no i do not think Bioware did a marvelous job on this game either. There are plenty of things that could have been, can be and should be done better. The game is neither great nor bad at this point, and honestly, mediocrity in the MMO market can sometimes be more harmful to a game than being outright terrible.

AdmiralParmesan
12.16.2012 , 07:40 PM | #56
Well some of us have been giving suggestions and analysis for quite some time. There was a lot of feedback in the "class feedback" Sorcerer forums quite some time ago but bioware never even posted. The only replies the sorceror class tends to get are in other classes forums or the pvp forums referencing us about the bubble stun problem.

It becomes disheartening after a while. At the very least I would like my sorcerer's melee attacks to benefit from willpower so I can actually pretend I have a light-saber instead of only hitting people for 300 damage or less
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

eavn
12.21.2012 , 11:53 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Wookieenator View Post
If this game fixes rage spec, bubble stuns, mercs, cross server pvp is implemented I will probably upload a video of myself singing my humps.

screenied this

if they fix it me and the rest of resilience will hold you to it

@Aluvian, love the post, pretty much covered every issue i have with pvp right now, espeacially rage/focus, im nowhere near being a "good" player but even i find i do too much damage with it.

regarding bubbles, i agree, the resolve given is too little, i played a novare coast earlier vs a physics premade and they had 3 bubble stuns, stunning and rooting me for over 4 minutes straight, i was unable to do while they freecasted heals, and as soon as i leaped or smashes, bubbles and rooted

Lejune
12.22.2012 , 05:41 AM | #58
Bumped

Nonnolol
12.22.2012 , 06:43 AM | #59
I deeply agree with the OP.

Helig
12.22.2012 , 08:30 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Aluvi View Post
Bioware,

First off, let me say that I have enjoyed your games for a very long time.

<.................>
Good post. I do agree with most of it. Resolve propositions seem fishy, though, and I think it'll break what's left of the current CC balance.

That said, I do agree that Resolve/CC needs major reworks.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie