Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Most Viable Tank Class and Healer Class in Ops

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Most Viable Tank Class and Healer Class in Ops

PersianBJJ
12.10.2012 , 06:47 PM | #1
Hey everyone, I'm currently finishing up leveling my Sentinel which will be my DPS toon and am looking to roll a tank and a healer after this. My goal is endgame, I wish to clear and progress through content in a competitive atmosphere while looking to get server/world firsts. Because of that, I am looking for the best class to reroll for Heals and tanking after this dps.

Since I've already got my DPS class for raiding I want a healer and a tank for hardcore engame progression aswell. I really just can't decide which class to roll for each, since I don't know much about the mechanics of this game yet. I'm looking for the best viable healer and tank in endgame and ops. There are so many options: Tropper (Tank/Heals), Smuggler (Heals), Consular (Tank/Heals). I want to pick the best tank and best healer out of those to roll.

If anyone has any information and opinion for me that would be great. Also any links to help research this would be awesome too. Thanks guys

AnAnonymousGuy
12.10.2012 , 07:00 PM | #2
No such thing. It's about preference. Some prefer scoundrel healing, some prefer sage healing. Both are viable, both have their weaknesses. Same with tanking.

QuiQuaeQuod
12.10.2012 , 07:13 PM | #3
All tanks are viable, they have different potential and play-styles, but all can be used effectively. In general:

Vanguards - have the least defensive cooldowns and tend to be relatively simple to play in terms of maintaining full tanking potential, and are quite strong all round having good passive defence. Very good passive defence, simple and undemanding active requirements; easiest to be consistently good with

Guardians - have more cooldowns than a Vanguard but better passive survivability than Shadows. If properly managed, has slightly more potential than a Vanguard, but has less passive defence and if not managed well is not as good - middle ground of good passive defence and manageable active requirements.

Shadows - have all sorts of cooldowns and relies more heavily on cooldowns and debuffs on enemies for tanking capacity. There's a trade-off; Shadows have possibly the worst passive defence, but if you master their defensive cooldowns, their debuffs (Force Breach, Slow Time etc.) have the potential to be even better than both Vanguards and Guardians. If not played properly, however, are weaker than both based on their passive defence. Less passive defence, but lots of defensive cooldowns and debuffs that require constant management; hardest to be consistently good with, *but* with the potential to be better than both other tanks with if managed correctly. Can also typically put out impressive DPS for a tank, but also requires management of procs and debuffs.

-Alma-
12.10.2012 , 07:14 PM | #4
Speaking from Imp side:

Single target mobs = juggy
Multiple mobs = sin
Group healer = sorc
Single target healer = operative/bh/sorc

IMHO

ps. Im sure a powertech can be tank fine too, just never tried it myself so no comment.

Alhxor
12.11.2012 , 07:37 AM | #5
There's a decent tank comparison on tankingtor.com blog.
Al'xor [assassin] | Kyr'amud [powertech] | Krsh [marauder] | Kersin [operative]
<Sithhiker's Guide to the Galaxy> Jung Ma

RendValor
12.11.2012 , 07:47 AM | #6
You need tanks and healers with different strengths. In my experience and personal opinion, I would preferably run with an Assassin tank and a Vanguard tank, a Mercenary and a Sorcerer healer, and then 4 any combination of Powertechs/Marauders/Snipers as DPS.

Then again, that's about as perfect of a setup as you can get, and you don't need a perfect setup if you know what you're doing, you can beat the hardest NiM Ops with a "suboptimal" team (say, 2 Juggernaut tanks, 2 Operative healers, and 4 Assassins/Operatives DPS) as long as everyone knows how to play their roles correctly and are familiar with the boss mechanics
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

PersianBJJ
12.11.2012 , 04:32 PM | #7
Thanks for the input guys, especially the tanking differences. I understand each role is needed and is viable in its own right, maybe I should of just asked the primary difference and play style between the three different options. I'm pretty informed about the tanks thanks to the above poster, that was a detailed description of all three. Now, how about the healers?

I've heard that Scoundrels are more mobile healers and mostly HoT and single target, like resto druids in WoW. Sages are the typical stand and cast healers that have more AoE, and haven't heard much about Commandos. Whats the play style and difference between the three healers? What are the pros and cons.

Same thing with the three tanks, what are the pros and cons of each?

revansowns
12.11.2012 , 06:28 PM | #8
If you are looking for healing, then without a doubt Sorcerer/Sage is the best class. But that's just my opinion; I just think the range healers aren't PURE healers like the Sorc/Sages are. I am debating whether to make my Commando a healer but the heals just seem not big enough a lot of times. Again this is just my take.

For tanking it's basically if you prefer ranged or melee tanking.
The Darkslayer Legacy
Zhendai - Level 55 Jedi Guardian Valixe - Level 52 Sith Sorcerer Omin'it - Level 52 Sniper Valiantes - Level 50 Commando Thondurr - Level 50 Jedi Shadow Ikorath - Level 50 Sith Marauder Araxxo - Level 13 Powertech Tegldef -Level 36 Scoundrel

Gyronamics
12.12.2012 , 02:14 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by revansowns View Post
If you are looking for healing, then without a doubt Sorcerer/Sage is the best class. But that's just my opinion; I just think the range healers aren't PURE healers like the Sorc/Sages are.
Hell no.

There are fights in hm TFB and in NiM EC where two sages are the worst healing combo.

Maybe in the lower difficulty modes too but there's a lot of overgearing down there imo which covers up certain class deficiencies.

Operatives are crazily versatile healers and mercs can ressurect a dead tank with the power of their single target healing.

Also what is a PURE healer, do you need to wear a dress?
Notwired @ Not Good Enough @ TRE

Tersur
12.12.2012 , 02:28 AM | #10
Healers are pretty simple to break down.
Sorc/sage : Best aoe heals. Best single target dps. Worst mobility. Best utility. Worst survivability.
Scoundrel/op : Best single target heals. Best mobility. Best energy management.
Com/merc : Best burst heals. Best aoe dps. Worst energy management. Worst utility. Best survivability.