Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorcerers or Snipers 4PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Sorcerers or Snipers 4PvP

TrumpetNut
12.09.2012 , 10:12 PM | #1
Hey so based on personal experience which is better? Madness sorc or Marksmanship sniper? Both are good ranged classes I think in PvP and both get targeted alot as well.I know that the sorc has better utility healing capabilities and lastly they have force pull XD! Put your opinion(s) here! Thank you!

johnyangelo
12.09.2012 , 10:59 PM | #2
I'd choose sniper any day over sorc.

MidichIorian
12.09.2012 , 11:19 PM | #3
I'd pick marksman over madness but I'd pick hybrid sorc over any sniper spec. I fnd snipers to be incredibly boring to play and one of the easiest target to take down as a sorc/sage.

TrumpetNut
12.10.2012 , 12:32 AM | #4
Thank you for the answers. So my sniper and sage are both level 14 right now so even level. I find that shooting people with a sniper rifle has more oomph to it then just lightning lightning etc but What is good about each one? I know that sniper HAS to be dps and sorc can do both. and doesnt sorc have lots of area buffs and such? So what is good about BOTH? I want a list of

Sorc

Sniper

Rincewend
12.10.2012 , 02:26 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TrumpetNut View Post
Thank you for the answers. So my sniper and sage are both level 14 right now so even level. I find that shooting people with a sniper rifle has more oomph to it then just lightning lightning etc but What is good about each one? I know that sniper HAS to be dps and sorc can do both. and doesnt sorc have lots of area buffs and such? So what is good about BOTH? I want a list of

Sorc
Until you get bubble stun you are hampton pig hostage. Kite away until you are rooted to death.

Sniper
Cover will keep the lightstick jump monkeys off you, right now you are the class to put them down. Go into cover, shoot away, knockback, root, and kill. (Flash bang and move back if you can not drop him before he gets to you again).

Knockerz
12.10.2012 , 02:44 AM | #6
If your going to play a sorc your pretty much have to play a healer. Personally, I found dps sorc rather useless. You only have a chance if you play a a dot or some hybrid spec that has the least casting involved. Playing lightning or the sage equivalent is worst than commando pvp. Your super squish while you sit there casting ability that screams interrupt me or knock me back, then you can start casting again and again get interrupted or knock back. As a dot or hybrid spec you live longer, but you need to run away from classes and if melee aren't stupid and know what they are doing you won't get far assuming equal gear.

As for sniper it's a good spec against any melee. Most melee will not want to fight you and in some cases they ignore you. This is only what I found in pvp using the random pvp queue. Once you get gear you hit pretty hard if a melee is hitting on a geared healer and you have all your cd you can probably kill the healer. Smart healers will los, but if they get a melee on them plus you they won't last long. As for glow bats will dislike you especially sentinels. I get extra satisfaction each time I kill a gear sentinel.

I say level both and have fun with both classes. I have both, but the gear grind is annoying so I only really play on my sniper cause she has gear and I don't feel like finishing the bm grind on sage plus wh grind. Perhaps with the 1.6 changes I might play my sage again.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess

wwkingms
12.10.2012 , 02:50 AM | #7
some complain but i think snipers ar ein a good place.
there dmg and burst is amazing and what they trade in a lack of mobility they gain in their cover making them immune to charge interrupts and grapples

seeing as poertechs and swith warriors are running rampant this gives snipers a huge advantage

1v1 a sniper is a great counter to these classes

heads up a sniper should blow a sorc out of the water if no LOS is involved

Damage-> sniper
survivability->sniper
mobility->sorc
team pvp helpfullness-> sorc
healing->sorc (snipers have none)

so if u want to just be pure ranged dps a sniper is the way to go... to me the cover system and class itself is boring and clunky but some people like it

ill continue my squishy and weak sorc
NIHIL

THE BASTION

Knockerz
12.10.2012 , 02:57 AM | #8
The gear looks amazing on snipers too. If you get the right sniper rifle and gear looks like how a sniper should look like. I can't say that sage or sorc can match the sniper gear wardrobe. We even get these cool looking shades or that look like shades as our helmet for bm gear.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess

NoTomorrow
12.10.2012 , 03:10 AM | #9
You will want to play them both eventually. Sorc is versatile, highly mobile, it excels in heals and utility. DPS wise, you are pretty much limited to madness and some madness hybrids. Lightning is a pure joke, and currently even worse than Arsenal mercs. So for damage you are a ranged DoT class highly mobile, good constant damage but limited burst.

You will not kill tanks as a sorc. Those few internal damage dots are not enough to bring him down. And you will most probably not be a healer killer. Regardless of any spec you play, force leaping monkeys will always be on the look for you. Get ready to be jumped, rooted, then before you can escape a second monkey jump on you and root you again.

Sniper is the only true Ranged DPS class in SWTOR. Anything else that can shoot at 30m, is not viable for PvP or can be simply killed by a sniper themselves. And what it is great about snipers, is that against them, melee classes are actually melee and they atually have to walk. Don't listen to all those ignorant people saying that cover mechanics sucks. Mercs, Sorcs, would kill to be able to cast uninterrupted, without pushback, without being pulled or leaped to.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Mazikeen
12.10.2012 , 07:18 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by wwkingms View Post
mobility->sorc
Sniper does not always mean MM spec. Lethality and Engineering spec Snipers are incredibly mobile, and Lethality does scary damage. I do so much in WZs that I oftentimes start one and have 4 people jump me 10 seconds in. Sure, I die in WZs but my kill/death ratio is still very nice unless I'm sacrificing myself to stop a node cap or some such thing.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds