Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The speed of combat in pvp now is too fast?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The speed of combat in pvp now is too fast?

adiwantinova's Avatar


adiwantinova
12.09.2012 , 09:06 AM | #1
So, some guildies and I were talking last night & the comment was made that the speed of combat in pvp has become too fast. They asked with consistent gear progression, how BW could manage the speed aspect to pvp, and ensure there are still "epic" battles (their original intent and design with the GCD, etc).

It's an interesting thing to think about.

I am a twitch gamer & started playing console FPS games a long time ago, and I must admit, there are times that this game now feels like a Halo game (two shotgun blasts and you're having to respawn) rather than an MMO.

SWG was way more "epic" than swtor (in terms of time to kill, etc).

So, here's my question:

Would you be upset if BW decreased all healing and damage output in WZ's by 25%, but left it as-is for PVE combat/operations in an attempt to control speed of combat?
ADI-WAN TINOVA
Adi-Wan, Sentinel | Theresee, Sage | Kahlvin, Guardian
The Shadowlands | <RotJ> | <Triumph>

Lejune's Avatar


Lejune
12.09.2012 , 09:20 AM | #2
For starters, 7k smashes/sweeps should not be possible through No combination/mod itemizations. 7k instant aoe is.....well still no words to justify this

Sleprock's Avatar


Sleprock
12.09.2012 , 09:44 AM | #3
I would like to see combat slowed a bit also. The power creep is making battles, harder hitting ordeals and everything should scaled back. I also feel at times the game is moving way too fast, especaially as a melee tank class where my eyes are moving like crazy to spot dpsers, ranged, people to help etc. I get headaches whereas playing ranged I can "relax" more.

Technohic's Avatar


Technohic
12.09.2012 , 10:10 AM | #4
They should just make it turn based. Like Pokemon.

Glower's Avatar


Glower
12.09.2012 , 10:44 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by adiwantinova View Post
and ensure there are still "epic" battles (their original intent and design with the GCD, etc).

Its really epic when half (or all 8 ) of my team dead after 5-7 sec.
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

ELECTRICJUDGMENT's Avatar


ELECTRICJUDGMENT
12.09.2012 , 10:58 AM | #6
Seriously. PvP is not intended to be relaxing.

Those 7k smash hits are by critical chance provided by the player's gear and skills that they have earned in one way or another. They are not consistent damage, and range from 1.5k to whatever their critical chance + critical multiplier + strength + power, etc. will allow. No different than the DPS Sorc instantly taking 8k of my HP on Voidstar last night.

Really, the only people still complaining about force sweep/smash damage are the same people expecting to "relax" and 2-button faceroll in PvP with little to no effort.

dufox's Avatar


dufox
12.09.2012 , 10:58 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Glower View Post
Its really epic when half (or all 8 ) of my team dead after 5-7 sec.
LOL.

For the record in 1.0 8 dps was better than most dps/heal/tank teams because 8 mildly organized dps could wreck everything.

Might be coincidence but its been a while since I've seen that happen.
i dont need a sig, im famous *****

Lexlo's Avatar


Lexlo
12.09.2012 , 11:02 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by adiwantinova View Post
SWG was way more "epic" than swtor (in terms of time to kill, etc).
Not sure which version you played, but 6 seconds was the average lifespan against in an 8 v 8.

Not very epic.
Prophecy of the Five
<WAR>|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:| |:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|<LTW>
Twitch.TV

TheGame's Avatar


TheGame
12.09.2012 , 11:06 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ELECTRICJUDGMENT View Post
Seriously. PvP is not intended to be relaxing.

Those 7k smash hits are by critical chance provided by the player's gear and skills that they have earned in one way or another. They are not consistent damage, and range from 1.5k to whatever their critical chance + critical multiplier + strength + power, etc. will allow. No different than the DPS Sorc instantly taking 8k of my HP on Voidstar last night.

Really, the only people still complaining about force sweep/smash damage are the same people expecting to "relax" and 2-button faceroll in PvP with little to no effort.
Not complainng or anything but you do realize that smash is most of the time going to be an auto-crit right? I think its fine though kinda like a Dire Root, SFP push in galaxies except we wouldnt be stunned every .2 seconds so you could possible get some line of sight or something silly like that to help survive n recover.

adiwantinova's Avatar


adiwantinova
12.09.2012 , 11:07 AM | #10
I was a MENH/MLS/Healer: 4040 in SWG pre-cu, through CU, and into the NGE.

The epic pvp was admittedly before the NGE. I was able to take down 2 combat medics, 1 master defender and a MTK/Fencer hybrid with intentional use of CC, force run, heals, and DPS after about 30 minutes of play.

It was epic in comparison to SWTOR back in that version.

P.S. Let me be clear, this is not a thread talking about derpsmash specs, or stun bubbles.

The question is: Would you be upset if BW brought all healing and damage down by 25% in WZ's in an attempt to make combat slower and more "epic"?
ADI-WAN TINOVA
Adi-Wan, Sentinel | Theresee, Sage | Kahlvin, Guardian
The Shadowlands | <RotJ> | <Triumph>