Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi sage vs melee advice.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Jedi sage vs melee advice.

Zenoes
12.08.2012 , 03:14 PM | #1
Hello there
As it says above i have a huge problem vs melee on my sage.
Im still a lowbie , Currently lvl 30 but i love to pvp so need some advice to kill melees.
Juggernaut, Marauders and Power tecs are the worst.

Vs Juggernauts: i cant seem to get em off me. typical scenario looks like this.
Jugg charges me
I use Force wave and apply Force slow
Jugg pushes me away and charges me again.
I stun jugg.
Jugg removes stun and stun me
I remove stun and use force speed.
Jugg slows me.
I use Force lift to try to get some heals on myself
I get interupted and die.
Some advice on what im doing wrong would be great.

Doing pretty much the same vs Marauders and get almost the same scenario.

VS power tec.. /flap / flap / flap heeeeelp me please . damn this hurts, try to kite still hurts just as much! Dead.
I have no idea what to do against em... Even if i try to kite them, they shoot really hard on me.

Im currently specced 0/5/16 it works really great vs ranged chars but melee just train me down..
Feels like they are a bit OP but probobly just me thats doing something wrong.
So please give me some usefull advice on what to do.

criminalheretic
12.08.2012 , 03:30 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Zenoes View Post
Hello there
Im still a lowbie , Currently lvl 30 but i love to pvp so need some advice to kill melees.
Marauders and power tecs are the worst.

Vs Mauroders: i cant seem to get em off me. typical scenario looks like this.
Mara charges me
Mara pushes me away and charges me again.
I stun mara.
Mara removes stun and stun me
Mara slows me.

VS power tec.. /flap / flap / flap heeeeelp me please . damn this hurts, try to kite still hurts just as much! Dead.
I have no idea what to do against em... Even if i try to kite them, they shoot really hard on me.

Im currently specced 0/5/16 it works really great vs ranged chars but melee just train me down..
You're confusing Maras and Juggs for one.
What we don't understand, we can make mean anything.
Hyperspace Cannon -> Drooga's -> The Harbinger

Zenoes
12.08.2012 , 03:53 PM | #3
There edited the text... thanks for your advice

Asvarduil
12.08.2012 , 03:57 PM | #4
Jugg/Guardian, depending on spec, is the most mobile class in the game. They can either Guardian Leap to an ally (Lv.50), and depending on spec have an oppressive three distance closers (Force Leap, which is AC-neutral, and another which is spec dependent I believe.)

I've not played a Sage/Sorc a lot, first. However, it seems to me that the trick is to get them to voluntarily LOS you, for instance in Huttball, pushing you into the pit, where they have to physically reorient to launch their next attack. On my Scoundrel healer, the dreaded Captain Kruhnch, I've done this to great effect when harrassed by Warriors/Guardians, and especially Sage/Sorcerer.

A key point of PvP is using the terrain to your advantage!
Most epic PvP forum thread ever. | Tales of the Healer - Latest Episode! [08/30/2013]

Captain Kruhnch (Lv.39 Sawbones) - Shadowlands
Cuddlemuffin (Lv.16 Mercenary) - Shadowlands

alexzk
12.08.2012 , 04:03 PM | #5
The trick is to hold them (Jug/Mara) at 10m range about and use ONLY force/tech abilities on them (any melee, for example, can be resisted by their bubble and makes it longer, other way - just lift it for 6 seconds while bubble gone).
Against PT just learn +15% defence against pereodical effects.
You may meet rare whatchmen which uses DoTs and can leap at 0 distance. Well, just cleanse urself
I do 21-0-20 by sorcer, is pretty fun. Only problem is 4 incoming monkeys :/ Just cant move in such case (maybe lag, not sure, bcs i see i run away but die on same place).
There is no ignorance - there is knowledge.

Asunasan
12.08.2012 , 04:11 PM | #6
Maras and Jugs are going to be hard for you period. Explaining how best to handel them would be too complicated because the fight can go too many ways and I don't get the impression that you're really at the place where it would help yet. That said since the range nerf to PTs I'd say the counter table has shifed from them eating sages to sages eating them. Don't let them get close to you, the only rail shot they should get in the whole fight is 1 from auto shot procing their cell. If they can't get in Flame burst range (10m) they can't reset the CD on rail shot. Dot them, Slow them, throw rocks at them, force speed away before they get to 10m, slow them again, knock them back right as they get into your maximum knock back range (its pretty big now) Save your stun for when they grapple you, when they do you should instantly stun and run away, force speed if its up. If you can't kill them before you run out of tools to keep them more than 10m away it might be a gear/lvl issue.

criminalheretic
12.08.2012 , 04:26 PM | #7
To add something constructive...

And to add on to Asuna's comprehensive list, don't just run away, run through people. Don't run into a middle of a smash or AOE, but use a melee's mentality against them. By mentality, I mean the fact that they pretty much always have to be within 4m to be effective. When you are limited in your range like that, any time you spend chasing someone tends to feel like time "wasted". If you run them into a group of your players (preferrably your own melee dps, not your healers) they have a habit of dropping their pursuit of you, to start bashing on someone else. Or at least you then give your more resilient teammates a chance to pick them up.
What we don't understand, we can make mean anything.
Hyperspace Cannon -> Drooga's -> The Harbinger

Ycoga
12.08.2012 , 06:01 PM | #8
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny

Smashbrother
12.08.2012 , 06:19 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Zenoes View Post
Hello there
Juggernaut, Marauders and Power tecs are the worst.

Vs Juggernauts: i cant seem to get em off me. typical scenario looks like this.
Jugg charges me
Jugg pushes me away and charges me again.
I stun jugg.
Jugg removes stun and stun me
Jugg slows me.

Doing pretty much the same vs Marauders and get almost the same scenario.

You're not gonna win against an equally skilled sent/guardian/VG until you get sever force. That skill pretty much makes soloing those classes very doable. Balance is the way to go if you want to 1v1 stuff.

Zenoes
12.09.2012 , 02:41 AM | #10
Thanks for all advice.
Have done some WZ this morning and have started kiting alot more..Maras and power tec isent as dangerous anymore, if i have alot of space to kite them on. still having probs with the jugg since their mobility is crazy.
but it have gotten alot better