Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando Heals Need Small Tweak for Ops

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Commando Heals Need Small Tweak for Ops

ViseValencia
12.09.2012 , 03:56 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by LuciferinDNA View Post
True, that its always depends on what class suits you the best (for example I roll better with my 50 Sage like dps, then with my 50 shadow like dps, even if I know that the shadow is out dmg sage in numbers)

I'm more a pvp player, then pve, and how I see this two playgrounds are eating each other when class balance coming in. Maybe commando's healing seems right when 16 ppl standing on each other for 20 minutes, but in a random fighting situation its lacking. He can't react with emergency.
Any way, every one know experience that commando class lacking, even does players are empathic about the class, who don't play it like a main.
Yeha perhaps you're right. It sounds like PvE its fine, PvP its not. I can't really argue for PvP, I haven't done it in ages, but all I know is I smoke PvE without breaking a sweat, each and every op I go on. I'm just looking at this issue from the OPs question revolving around ops.

SPrime
12.09.2012 , 09:18 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by LuciferinDNA View Post
True, that its always depends on what class suits you the best (for example I roll better with my 50 Sage like dps, then with my 50 shadow like dps, even if I know that the shadow is out dmg sage in numbers)

I'm more a pvp player, then pve, and how I see this two playgrounds are eating each other when class balance coming in. Maybe commando's healing seems right when 16 ppl standing on each other for 20 minutes, but in a random fighting situation its lacking. He can't react with emergency.
Any way, every one know experience that commando class lacking, even does players are empathic about the class, who don't play it like a main.
I totally agree, I would also like to add that different people have different play styles and that you should build your own build and stack the stats that work for you.

I have no problem holding my own in PVP with or without a guard, taunts are nice. But it is more about customization, try building that tree without pulling a cookie cutter build. Build that tree to your play style, I know a lot of players will be like I need a build, someone posts one, and they like nah it no good, because they probably jumped into a wz not know what to do and just get facerolled. Take the time to read the tool tips and understand what the skill can and cannot do.

Also I will add in PvP when you pop the uninteruptable bubble, all because it on a 2 min CD does not mean it not useful. the valuable seconds that you are not dying is for help to come help you. If you reduced the CD of it, I would consider it pretty OP.

SpaniardInfinity
12.09.2012 , 09:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
2. I would support a small buff to the AoE, such as making it heal for a bit more. Actually my preferred change though is for it to become "smart", affecting the 4 people in range that are most in need of healing, in raw HP terms.

Commando's do need some love in terms of energy management also...such as a reduced CD on recharge cells....or allowing hammer shot to actually heal ourselves if we have targeted self.
On the first note, I'm still resistant to making the heal "smart", mainly because I find the flexibility in the design useful as is. There are times where I don't want to necessarily hit the four lowest people in a group -- I want the ones I intentionally aimed at to be hit. This is because I like having the healing received buff up on many targets (not necessarily those low on HP) in anticipation for imminent burst healing. I also find it useful to keep these buffs on healers and tanks at all times, even if they aren't the lowest of the four at that moment.

The second note I can agree with, and it was my biggest annoyance with Update 1.2. I agree that our numbers needed to be toned down -- I don't think the ammo management (arguably the mechanic that makes Combat Medic unfriendly to beginners) needed to be made more difficult. I think the CD on Recharge Cells is appropriate. Instead, I think at least one, potentially two, of the following should be implemented:

- Bacta Infusion returns 1 ammo on use (similar in concept the the Vanguard tank's 31-point skill, Energy Blast)
- Supercharge Cells returns 2 ammo when activated (reverting a change in 1.2 which lowered the ammo return to 1.)
- Field Triage lowers the cost of the next Medical Probe by 2 (also reverting a 1.2 change). Alternatively, allow us to have multiple stacks of Field Triage, say capping at 2 or 3. That way with some additional prepwork and setup, we can have the same effect as pre-1.2.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

Tha_Moe
12.09.2012 , 04:30 PM | #14
Small tweak? Naaaaaaaah man Commando heals need a major tweak! MAJOR!!! PVP, PVE both sides of the game.

<Men do what they want, Boys do what they can>.

Kickimanjaro
12.09.2012 , 10:50 PM | #15
What about having our Field Aid power usable while stunned? Or perhaps giving it a little buff on the heal side.
Kickimanjaro / Erinaceous / Stimfiend / Stüxnet / Áyrenn / Snipertoon
<Galactic Forces> on Jedi Covenant

WooduckAUS
12.10.2012 , 04:28 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaniardInfinity View Post
- Bacta Infusion returns 1 ammo on use (similar in concept the the Vanguard tank's 31-point skill, Energy Blast)
- Supercharge Cells returns 2 ammo when activated (reverting a change in 1.2 which lowered the ammo return to 1.)
- Field Triage lowers the cost of the next Medical Probe by 2 (also reverting a 1.2 change). Alternatively, allow us to have multiple stacks of Field Triage, say capping at 2 or 3. That way with some additional prepwork and setup, we can have the same effect as pre-1.2.
I like these ideas but i think implementing all of these would put us back into the OP category.... 1 out of the 3, would be the small tweak i think the class needs. I like the idea of the first 2. If Bacta returned 1 ammo, that would be a big help in ammo management. Like wise, if SC returned 2 ammo when used, i may actually use it.....

IMO, i like the challenge that healing with my class already has. Anything more then a minor tweak would make it too easy. Anyone who says it needs more then a small tweak may need to learn how to play the class better.

Leave the class alone, learn how to play it.

Kitru
12.10.2012 , 09:51 PM | #17
Personally, I like the idea of KB's heal being made smart mainly because, if you don't want to heal someone so that someone else can get the healing buff, you can simply move the icon to not target them. It doesn't help that the healing received buff is actually pretty mediocre now compared to what it was pre-1.2. I would actually be happy if the devs just made it so that *all* AoE heals are smart and, when presented with a situation where there are more potential targets than affected targets, the heals go to the person with the most damage taken.

Another potential tweak to make it more useful in large groups while still being balanced would be to have Kolto bomb affect an unlimited number of targets but have a maximum amount of pre-crit healing that it can provide (a la Healing Rain in WoW). If the number of targets would make it so that the flat amount of healing is over the maximum amount of healing (which would be equal to 4 * the healing it provides to a single target), the healing effect is diluted such that everyone is healed for proportionately less (so if you had 5 targets healed, everyone would get 80% of the normal heal, 6 people would get 66%, 7 people would get 57%, etc.; it would probably needed to be capped explicitly at 16 to prevent problems with open world non-grouped stuff, but that's not really going to be factored into most people's play) while still providing the relevant buff (because 3% healing received is almost negligible, especially since it generally gets fed into overheal, and 5% DR for an entire stacked raid would provide some decent *specific* utility, even if it can't be constantly maintained). At that point, Kolto bomb, while not being a massive heal in raids, behaves more as a synergistic benefit for other healers during large scale AoE situations.

The major change that I would like to see occur is taking Trauma Probe off of the GCD and potentially also reducing the ammo cost by 1-2. Trauma Probe was *never* particularly overpowered and really just made up for the fact that Commandos don't really have a consistent powerful HoT that they can use for maintenance. Having it exist on the GCD even though it's, honestly, a minute trickle of healing means that it only ever sees much application when you've got spare ammo and you're not busy doing a hard cast chain. It would be nice to see Trauma Probe tweaked such that it's actually intended to be kept up *constantly* not just "whenever you've got nothing better to do and still have ammo to burn".
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

WooduckAUS
12.11.2012 , 05:00 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Another potential tweak to make it more useful in large groups while still being balanced would be to have Kolto bomb affect an unlimited number of targets but have a maximum amount of pre-crit healing that it can provide (a la Healing Rain in WoW).

The major change that I would like to see occur is taking Trauma Probe off of the GCD and potentially also reducing the ammo cost by 1-2. Trauma Probe was *never* particularly overpowered and really just made up for the fact that Commandos don't really have a consistent powerful HoT that they can use for maintenance. Having it exist on the GCD even though it's, honestly, a minute trickle of healing means that it only ever sees much application when you've got spare ammo and you're not busy doing a hard cast chain. It would be nice to see Trauma Probe tweaked such that it's actually intended to be kept up *constantly* not just "whenever you've got nothing better to do and still have ammo to burn".
Love the "Kolto Rain" idea and have already thought about this. New animations too. No more throwing a sack of green goo into a group, instead plant your feet and point that big gun to the sky and rain down a kolto cluster!! Similar to like a mortar volley, except with healing kolto into the group. Make it smart in some way too.

I really enjoy trauma probe, i use it when ever possible (which isn't always easy....). Mine crits for 1k of hp, so 10 charges costing 2 ammo is an incredibly useful heal. Ammo management is tricky at times but that is part of the challenge with CM healing. I don't like reducing the cost but maybe take it of the GCD to make it more user friendly when trying to reapply, would be a nice little tweak.

atschai
12.12.2012 , 06:36 AM | #19
Playing a commando heal myself I can say I have no problems healing with a sage or a scoundrel at my side. Two commandos on the other side - is very tough to do.
Pretty much every combination of healers is viable in Ops, even 2 sages or 2 scoundrels except 2 commando healers. I think that pretty much says it all.

SPrime
12.12.2012 , 10:44 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by atschai View Post
Playing a commando heal myself I can say I have no problems healing with a sage or a scoundrel at my side. Two commandos on the other side - is very tough to do.
Pretty much every combination of healers is viable in Ops, even 2 sages or 2 scoundrels except 2 commando healers. I think that pretty much says it all.
Sounds like you need to step it up and carry your own weight. I do not care what class I am paired up with. As long as they carry their own weight you will clear the content. BW stated this already that all healing classes are viable.