Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we at least get an official response on HK-51 gear scaling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Can we at least get an official response on HK-51 gear scaling?

Cupelixx
12.05.2012 , 12:48 PM | #1
I was thinking about unlocking HK-51 for new alts that have not been leveled. Then I saw a bunch of posts that he only comes with level 50 gear and rumors that it was mentioned by Bioware that his gear is supposed to scale with level. What's the story? PLEASE clarify this!

1) Is HK-51's gear supposed to scale by level from 1-50? Yes or no?
2) If the answer to #1 is yes, is this being fixed yet? If it's not being fixed yet, at least put it in the known issues.
SWTOR's integrated UI is responsible for many players' framerate issues. Support player control and modification of SWTOR's user interface.

corbyone
12.05.2012 , 01:29 PM | #2
+1

I would like to get an official response on this also. I've tried tickets, bug reports, and posts and can;t seem to get an answer from BW/EA.

Khevar
12.05.2012 , 01:29 PM | #3
I believe the scaling was intended to be a "one-shot" scaling. In other words, he will have gear appropriate to the level you unlocked him at, but it would not continue scaling after that, you'd have to buy new gear as you leveled.

After a few levels the starting gear you get would be out-of-date anyway. I'd recommend just treating him like a regular droid companion (Scorpio, T7, etc) and gear him up as usual.

Slurmez
12.05.2012 , 01:35 PM | #4
well the STAP was supposed to be adaptive according to speeder training at launch and it took a year, so from that timeline I would say check back in 12 months for a fix

Cupelixx
12.05.2012 , 04:11 PM | #5
Come on Bioware.
SWTOR's integrated UI is responsible for many players' framerate issues. Support player control and modification of SWTOR's user interface.

Shevyk
12.05.2012 , 04:23 PM | #6
I unlocked HK-51 for an alt yesterday, and it came equipped with all the level 50 gear as he was on my main character. However, it wasn't giving any bonuses to anything. I removed the armors, mods and enhancements from two of the pieces intending to use level appropriate replacements.

The minute I did that, a red symbol appeared above his icon indicating that the remaining gear was no longer useable at that level. So, I simply removed all of it, banked it then replaced what I could with new weapons and parts. I tested him at level eleven with appropriated gear, and he was a monster.

I intend on leveling him with upgrades and then using the original level fifty gear later. However, it would be more convenient if the gear scaled as he progressed. Perhaps they will attend to this at some point.

Khevar
12.05.2012 , 04:32 PM | #7
Why do you want auto-scaling gear anyway? None of the other companions have it.

Part of the leveling process is finding / buying / making improved gear for yourself and your preferred companion.

Cupelixx
12.06.2012 , 10:40 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post

Part of the leveling process is finding / buying / making improved gear for yourself and your preferred companion.
The thing is, you can unlock it at level 1 if you want, but it still comes with level 50 gear which is completely unusable. You don't have to provide any of your other companions with their initial set of gear. Even if the gear is not supposed to be scaling, HK should always come with a set of gear it can actually use. But scaling gear is the easiest way to address the issue of unlocking on an alt. Not everyone is going to get it at level 1, or 5, or 10.

Slurmez
12.06.2012 , 10:54 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post

Droid armour is not common to say the least and unlike other companions HK gear is not available as mission rewards

Khevar
12.06.2012 , 11:28 AM | #10
I've been leveling my sniper with HK-51 from level 10 onwards and had no trouble gearing him.

Now, had I been provided a usable set of gear at the start (i.e. Level 10) that would have been best. Hope they fix that.

But as for gear rewards, the Specialty vendors on every planet have droid gear, usually for cash, sometimes for planetary commendations. It wasn't very long before I had him in full orange moddable gear and upgrading the armorning/mods/enhancements.