Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best DPS build for someone who does both PVE and PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Best DPS build for someone who does both PVE and PVP

Mewmaster
12.04.2012 , 12:57 PM | #1
i am leveling up a sage and was wondering what the best DPS build is for someone who does both PVE and PVP. i do mostly PVE, but i am on a PVP server and also PVP with my friends sometimes. from what i have read the best build is a hybrid between the 2 DPS trees, if this is true does anyone have a good base build i could look at.

and also, are there any tips on playing the sage in pvp in general

thanks for all the help.

paul_preib
12.05.2012 , 12:16 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Mewmaster View Post
i am leveling up a sage and was wondering what the best DPS build is for someone who does both PVE and PVP. i do mostly PVE, but i am on a PVP server and also PVP with my friends sometimes. from what i have read the best build is a hybrid between the 2 DPS trees, if this is true does anyone have a good base build i could look at.

and also, are there any tips on playing the sage in pvp in general

thanks for all the help.
Are you looking at something that'll work with hard mode fp's and sm kp/ev or something that will potentially be useful for near progression or progression content while doing some pvp?

I ask because one way your build can be fairly inclusive to some of the pvp utility items, the other I'd go for near pure dps.

In general however I would steer you towards the balance tree for dual purposing. It can be a bit resource hungry for ops but works much better in an operation then Tele does in a warzone
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

Mewmaster
12.05.2012 , 12:28 PM | #3
thanks, i was actually telekinesis until i decided to switch, i actually found this build while searching the forums should i go this one or go about 31 in balance. this one seems to work for right now, but i am not sure how it is later on.

thanks for the help.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...zRrhZcMcRsMz.2

namesaretough
12.05.2012 , 01:31 PM | #4
Remember, if you're a subscriber you don't have to pay to respec, so it may be easier to get used to using two different builds. I bought field respec and never looked back.
Smugglin

paul_preib
12.05.2012 , 01:52 PM | #5
thanks, i was actually telekinesis until i decided to switch, i actually found this build while searching the forums should i go this one or go about 31 in balance. this one seems to work for right now, but i am not sure how it is later on.

thanks for the help.

This is a solid build for pvp, and is nice having the resource efficiency but....

You are going to be seeing a pretty big dip in total damage dealt pve-wise. When you get the right procs (tele throw--> presence of mind--> disturbance--> Telekinetic Momentum/tidal force---> tele wave) you'll have a nice burst combo.'

But I think at the end of the day you'll have too much time when those aren't popping. You are losing a lot of damage boosters from going deep into either other tree.

Personally while my sage spec-bounces a lot I'd say my general purpose dps (pve leaning) falls to 31 pt. balance

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600hZbc0MZcMfRsMkrfz.2

This would be a bit squishy for pvp but still leaps and bounds ahead of pushing heavy into the telekinetic tree, while at the same time having good pve firepower.
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

Lightning_
12.07.2012 , 05:47 AM | #6

thanks for the help.

You cannot avoid Mental Alacrity if you plan on PvPing at all with this build. Other than that it does well in both PvP and PvE, but has lower damage than full Balance. However, Balance is the most boring build in the game, so go ahead with your build.

SoonerJBD
12.09.2012 , 02:19 PM | #7
Go full balance. It does far better DPS in PvE than the hybrid builds, and it is solid in PvP, unlike TK. Bubble stun is about to get hit with the nerf bat. So take Sever Force and the 2-second root. It is a really nice skill, especially in Huttball.