Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?

Fenshire
12.04.2012 , 05:13 AM | #11
To be honest, SWTOR had its opportunity to be a success in the eyes of the gaming community and it blew it. I doubt anything can be done to fix it now. I don't honestly believe the game will be around in 2015. I hope I'm proven wrong as I used to be a pretty strong defender of the game.
The Trust
The Department of Energy
| Explorer: 67% | Socializer: 67% | Killer: 53% | Achiever: 13% |
Take two kolto packs and call me in the morning!

Pirana
12.04.2012 , 05:35 AM | #12
Assuming TOR is around, yes.

I also wouldn't rule out future mmos with Disney at the wheel. They'll want a slice of the mmo pie just like everyone else.
Beta - April 16, 2014 (Retired)
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

AnAnonymousGuy
12.04.2012 , 05:40 AM | #13
I fail to see how it couldn't add a boost of popularity of TOR, considering that there's likely going to be many millions of people seeing the new movies. By how much will it boost it's popularity? Ah, now that's another question. Not by much, I imagine.

Fornix
12.04.2012 , 05:53 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by limadoc View Post
So what you're saying is that those people are close-minded old nerds who don't appreciate modern films. Nice.
Personally, the reasons I disliked Episodes 1-3 are different than what you are imagining, but go ahead and believe what you will.
What I was saying was that 1-3 and 4-6 in many aspects weren't too different. However, if your interpretation is rather how you read it, be my guest.
Member of <Helix>

Amasuke
12.04.2012 , 05:54 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by RixoFutu View Post
And no, i don't think that movie will bring more players to SWTOR. People who likes movies aren't all players, especially MMO, etc.
Note that SWTOR is not your usual MMORPG. It's more like a cRPG with MMO functions.

It really depends if the movie is going to be good or bad.
Chizu - Sith Sorcerer - The Red Eclipse
"Once we were mighty Jedi of the Republic, brothers in the Force. But the Great Schism between the dark side and the light turned Jedi against Jedi. Our ancestors were defeated, driven off…cast out!" - Marka Ragnos

Grecanis
12.04.2012 , 05:54 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ConradLionhart View Post
I'm pessimistic about this and I think future star wars movies won't live up to the hype.

Will George Lucas have an input? Why didn't HE create new movies of star wars before he sold it to Disney?
I believe he did ..I know he was all set to make a new movie set in a new era following RotJ, but the lore nazi's berated him so he swore he'd never make another.

I'd like to see a new game also set in that "new era"
I plan on living forever ...so far so good!
Squadron 238

Eillack
12.04.2012 , 09:02 AM | #17
I'm pessimistic about this and I think future star wars movies won't live up to the hype.

Will George Lucas have an input? Why didn't HE create new movies of star wars before he sold it to Disney?
All the rage from entitled "fans" telling im to go die all the time because the PT was made. I feel the Disney situation is a mix of George wanted to retire at one point and a "F You" to the ******es who have made the Star Wars fanbase look so bad.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

BogyOne
12.04.2012 , 09:35 AM | #18

Lucas has not directed two best parts of the trilogy and actors had also enough spine to push through their vision of the character play back then.

Then you have Phantom Menace as the next SW movie - full of childish nonsense and acting like sheeps. How can anyone be pessimistic about NOT having Lucas at helm of SW VII? I am at least glad of having a chance of seeing E7-9 now which Lucas declared to not create.

Wolfninjajedi
12.04.2012 , 10:54 AM | #19
Lucas did infact write stories for post ROTJ movies and handed them to Disney..or rather he handed the notes. Also don't worry, this was way back when we he was still working on the original 3...so don't worry your pretty little heads haters, you may not have to rage so hatefully this time.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

burkepeters
12.04.2012 , 11:53 AM | #20
I think fellow Star Wars fans need to be optimistic about the future of Star Wars. For those of you that hated the prequel trilogy I have good news for you, George Lucas will only be a "Creative Consultant" for the new movies. For those of you that like the prequel trilogy I will say that you have nothing to fear as well because it actually matters very little whether or not George Lucas is involved because Star Wars, in my opinion, is being held back by Lucas. Star Wars needs to be bigger than Lucas.

That being said I will say that I believe in Disney. For the Marvel comic fans out there I would like to bring up the successful transfer of ownership that brought the Marvel universe under the Disney name. The Marvel Universe suddenly began to boom under Disney with the release of Marvels: The Avengers (black magic involved? probably). Disney knows how to handle a franchise, possibly better than any other entertainment company out there. Lets hope that Disney chooses the right Director. With Stephen Spielberg having his hand largely in the pockets of both Disney and Lucasarts I would be willing to make a bet that he will at least be producing the movie. I think a good Director for the movie would be Peter Jackson. What? Peter Jackson? Peter Jackson successfully managed to convert one of the most complicated works of science fiction/ fantasy in the world into a film. However, the man is now addicted to Tolkien.