Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

To clueless QQ'ers calling smash/focus spec an easy/boring spec...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
To clueless QQ'ers calling smash/focus spec an easy/boring spec...

JohnAnconia's Avatar


JohnAnconia
12.03.2012 , 08:35 PM | #1
Please stop. You either are a troll and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, or your skill is terrible and you need to L2P.

Here's my perspective. My guardian is my third level 50 alt (I have a level 50 sage and a level 50 sniper). I can confidently say that smash spec requires higher skill level compared to dps sages/snipers. And I've played sage balance, sage hybrid, sniper mm, and sniper lethality. The MINIMUM set of attack abilities that any competent jugg/guardian focus/rage dps need to have are: force leap, zealous leap, guardian leap, combat focus, force crush, force stasis, force push, force sweep, saber throw, blade storm, and dispatch (so a total of 11 abilities not counting defensive CDs and awe/taunt/aoe taunt - any competent jugg/guardians should be using these even if they are dps).

In comparison, my sage only needs 6 attack abilities(mind crush, force in balance, sever force, telekinetic throw, weaken mind, and project). My leth sniper only needs 9 abilities (corrosive dart, corrosive grenade, weakening blast, cull, series of shots, ambush, takedown, orbital strike, and frag grenade). Both of those specs require fewer attack abilities compared to a rage jugg/focus guardian and are much easier to play. The only way someone can end up using just four buttons on a jugg/guardian DPS and still winning WZs is when you end up playing clueless undergeared pugs.

And by the way, I'm just a casual pvp'er, but all three of my alts have a mix of BM/WH gear (just 2-4 pieces of BM mostly). I routinely hit 300K+ damage on any of my three alts and win 60-70% of the matches that I participated as a pug'er and receive on average at least 1 mvp vote per match. The only spec that I've found boring to play so far .. is pt/assault vanguard.

Zunayson's Avatar


Zunayson
12.03.2012 , 08:45 PM | #2
Fewer abilties =/= easier to play. Conversely, More abilities =/= harder to play.

You'd be suprised how hard MM sniper is for most people, even though it only takes FT, TD, Snipe, SoS, Ambush to do a main rotation.

For your sage and sniper you listed main rotational moves that have small CDs. Yet Force Push is main rotational? Stasis? Are you kidding me?

You listed Sweep, Leap, Zealous Leap, (Guardian Leap? LOLWUT?), Dispatch, Combat Focus, Exhaustion, Blade Storm as the only moves I see that are main rotational.

Your ability to taunt and do miscellaneous tank things does not contribute to the skillcap of hulksmashing. We're not saying Guardians are easy to play to full potential. They're simply easy to play to extremely effective potential, something most classes cannot do.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

Azrienov's Avatar


Azrienov
12.03.2012 , 08:53 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnAnconia View Post
Please stop. You either are a troll and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, or your skill is terrible and you need to L2P.
I have one too. I hit "enrage" I leap, I smash, I start smacking the target in the face to lower the smash cooldown after laying on force crush... and I smash again.

What's so difficult about that?

JohnAnconia's Avatar


JohnAnconia
12.03.2012 , 08:54 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
Fewer abilties =/= easier to play. Conversely, More abilities =/= harder to play.

You'd be suprised how hard MM sniper is for most people, even though it only takes FT, TD, Snipe, SoS, Ambush to do a main rotation.

For your sage and sniper you listed main rotational moves that have small CDs. Yet Force Push is main rotational? Stasis? Are you kidding me?
Force push resets the CD on force leap and force leap makes smash/sweep autocrit... Have you ever played a guardian/jugg?

And you want to ignore the shockwave/singularity building ability, force statis?

Quote:
(Guardian Leap? LOLWU, Dispatch, Combat Focus, Exhaustion, Blade Storm as the only moves I see that are main rotational.
Apparently you've never encountered a situation that requires guardian leap + force leap... *roll eyes*

And no, I'm not talking about main rotational abilities. Balance sage/leth sniper usually don't need any abilities other than those that I've listed. Feel free to point out anything that I've missed. (Don't start talking about things like force quake which doesn't belong in balance spec or scatter shot which results in a dps loss in most cases in wzs.)

BTW I didn't even include ms/ravage for jugg/guardian.

Quote:
Your ability to taunt and do miscellaneous tank things does not contribute to the skillcap of hulksmashing. We're not saying Guardians are easy to play to full potential. They're simply easy to play to extremely effective potential, something most classes cannot do.
Which is why I did not include taunts in my counts.

And how are balance sage/leth sniper harder to play? Throwing out dots plus FIB/DF or Cull? Is that hard?

JohnAnconia's Avatar


JohnAnconia
12.03.2012 , 08:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Azrienov View Post
I have one too. I hit "enrage" I leap, I smash, I start smacking the target in the face to lower the smash cooldown after laying on force crush... and I smash again.

What's so difficult about that?
So your rotation only consists of four buttons? I'd like to know which four those are.

On a more serious note, most specs in this game are incredibly easy to play.

Dovahbrah's Avatar


Dovahbrah
12.03.2012 , 08:57 PM | #6
Derpsmash taking skill, that's lulzy.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

JohnAnconia's Avatar


JohnAnconia
12.03.2012 , 08:58 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
Derpsmash taking skill, that's lulzy.
Mind explaining why sniper/sage dps are harder to play well compared to jugg/guardian?

Invictusthetaru's Avatar


Invictusthetaru
12.03.2012 , 08:59 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnAnconia View Post
So your rotation only consists of four buttons? I'd like to know which four those are.

On a more serious note, most specs in this game are incredibly easy to play.
Including smash.

If you including kiting / anti kiting abilities sorcs need to use: knockback, force slow, force stun, force lift, force sprint, cleanse, self heals....lol.

I have 5 50's and I gotta say jugg smash is not hard AT ALL. So many specs need to be that much better of a player to but up those numbers.
Invic- 55 Jugg Tongs-53 Gunslinger
Tongs- 55 Assassin Penné-50 Vanguard
Havesome- 55 Sentinel
iKite- 55 Sorc

Rynis's Avatar


Rynis
12.03.2012 , 09:05 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnAnconia View Post
The MINIMUM set of attack abilities that any competent jugg/guardian focus/rage dps need to have are: force leap, zealous leap, guardian leap, combat focus, force crush, force stasis, force push, force sweep, saber throw, blade storm, and dispatch (so a total of 11
The fact is that's all guardians/juggs need to do to totally blow up the warzone.

A good smasher can pretty much wipe a whole team in 2 rotations, of course they have to be stupid and stack up but I've seen it happen plenty of times.

Honestly, the only problem I have with them is the reduced smash cooldown...if that was changed I think they would not nearly be as OP.
<Poos>

Rynis's Avatar


Rynis
12.03.2012 , 09:07 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnAnconia View Post
Mind explaining why sniper/sage dps are harder to play well compared to jugg/guardian?
Also, a good sage dps is a million times more difficult to play than a smash jugg and they can't compare to the damage output of smashers.
<Poos>