Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taunt Ability Delay between different tanking classes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Taunt Ability Delay between different tanking classes

OlosBC
12.04.2012 , 10:19 AM | #11
Yea I noticed a delay on it as well (PT) doing nmm toth and Zorn. Just started throwing taunt before jet charge and the it takes effect at the right time and no issues. Its noticeable on tfb as well, but I just make sure to throw taunt early in the scream cast and no issues. Only really seems to be very noticeable when at or close to max range.
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

SafeJungleFever
12.04.2012 , 05:55 PM | #12
Wow thank god I read this thread. i thought I was going insane or had a hardware or latency issue that I couldn't track down because of this. Thanks for the logs especially. Knowing I'm dealing with a .2 to .9s taunt reaction delay will be really helpful in changing my taunt timing. More work.

Guess this is one aspect of VG tanking that is not 'easymode' lol.

MelliMelon
12.04.2012 , 06:47 PM | #13
Yep, you can see it in our nightmare Kephess kill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDGBqv9lGpU

Go to about 2:42.

Taiketo
12.04.2012 , 07:01 PM | #14
The delay is really noticeable. It's a big part of the reason why I don't want to play my PT tank. The effect is basically instant on Shadows and Juggernauts.

kanare
12.04.2012 , 09:07 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Moriganno View Post
Hi there guys. Just last night I was having this arguement with my guildies regarding taunt delays between the different tanking classes while raiding, specifically the PT and Assassin tanks.

The PT says that there is a delay to mobs reacting to his taunts due to the travel-time of his "taunt dart"(which I have repeatly explained that it is just an animation) so everyone gotta wait for his taunts to "reach" his target, while for my Assassin's taunts, mobs react instantly to me. The mara who has both PT and Sin alts agree with him, citing that the Assasin's taunts are instant while the PT's taunts have a delay (due to the travel time of the dart?!!) and I should go test by taunting the dummies on my ship and watch the taunt debuff delay differences on them for myself.

Frankly that's a load of bull to me because I've personally have played all 3 tank classes months before to fully understand the differences between them, playing multiple flashpoints with all 3 and have never noticed such differences. The only delay is in certain mobs reaction to my taunts (which is extremely evident when you play an Assassin tank). An perfect example would be the slight delay in reaction time of the Big round droid(who does Overload) during the minesweeper boss in HM EC.

I've just went back to my ship and tested my taunts with both my Assassin and PT on the Operation dummy. Targetting the dummy and watching it's debuffs, upon pressing either my Single-Taunt or AOE-Taunt, I see no differences at all in the time it took for my "Taunt" debuff to show instantly on the dummy on either my PT or Sin. The PT's taunt dart is again imo just an animation based on this test.

Both the PT and mara are good players imo, although the mara is now teething on the Noob boundry to me with his dummy testing statement. The PT I can forgive because the travel time of his "taunt dart" does make it look like the mobs need time to react to him and I suspect he's a closet clicker (which probably adds to the "delay"), he's genuinely great to raid with (and the GM ). Don't think I'm missing anything here, but what's everyone's Tanks take on this?
i know what your firend means there are 2 other reasons for this to happen , first is on toth and zorn they do abilities that they have to finish , as well as littel actions if u look realy closely before they move the taunt it up , how ever some times they dont move instantly beacuse of this reason ,
The second is lag with you and the suver , some times there can be 0.5 deley in using the ability and it taking affect due to lag ........ you cant help it can just happen , acationally its seems like taunts take for ever to go off , its not nesserly the tanks have not used it it could justb be a slight deley .........
the worst thing u can do is get up on each other for things going wrong on toth and zorn , even with perfectly timed taunts your dps push them to sertain points , some times puts you in a potion that they have to complete an action before they move
next time watch carefully and u will see it happen for example they leap to each other the other 1 shifts round creating space for the other and he will not change targets till hes shimmyed all the way round to creat space""

Ms_Sunlight
12.05.2012 , 12:05 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Taiketo View Post
The delay is really noticeable. It's a big part of the reason why I don't want to play my PT tank. The effect is basically instant on Shadows and Juggernauts.
I personally feel it's offset by the PTs utility and by the usefulness of having your AOE at range, not centred around you. You just have to time things differently.
Carilie - Scoundrel // Dastelen - Shadow // Dras'yra - Sniper // Elonie - Sorcerer // Undali - Powertech
Server: The Red Eclipse // Guild: The Onyx Guard / The Orbital Guard

TeRrAsHaDe
12.05.2012 , 04:00 AM | #17
Personally i have adapted to use this to my advantage as i saw in a previous post you can use your aoe taunt on a pack of mobs 30m away and have 2/3 seconds time of not needing to run to them before they start to attack you (if there melee mobs) but generally i try and use my taunt 0.3 seconds before its needed this can sometimes be a challenge but it makes PT tanking more fun the harder something is to do the more rewarding it is when you do it
RogueMarauder Level 55

Capt_Beers
12.05.2012 , 01:15 PM | #18
I could have told you there was a delay for sure without testing it (although thanks for doing it). I use my Shadow and Vanguard for PvP pretty exclusively and I notice the difference. Reminds of the difference the animations caused between Project and Shock. You could activate them at the same time but because the Project debris would kind of hover around for a second the damage was applied at separate times.
<FREE UGLY> - POT5 - <SUPER BADS>
Keith-Stone 55 Medic | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | Keef-Stone 55 Infiltration | | Key'th 55 Advanced Prototype

mxlm
12.05.2012 , 08:42 PM | #19
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the delay appears to increase with distance. Standing at 29.74 meters from dummy I got:

18:34:32.470 Verfolgerin activates Neural Jolt.
18:34:34.157 Verfolgerin's Neural Jolt adds effect Taunt to Combat Training Target.

18:34:34.767 Verfolgerin activates Sonic Round.
18:34:35.413 Verfolgerin's Sonic Round adds effect Taunt to Combat Training Target.

18:35:02.727 Verfolgerin activates Neural Jolt.
18:35:03.963 Verfolgerin's Neural Jolt adds effect Taunt to Combat Training Target.