Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

thatPERSON
01.07.2013 , 01:46 AM | #61
You're honestly letting something some no life says on a game hurt your feelings? very, very, very thin skin....

if there is one thing i find more annoying than general chat, its the people that complain about general chat. let the kids be idiots, while you more mature players form groups and turn gen chat off.

Graydon
01.07.2013 , 06:24 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by buttjammerrump View Post
Looks like alot of the touchy feely players need to grow up and just stop paying attention to general chat. I can get just as nasty as the rest of them on chat but what people seem to dont undertand its in fun and nothing serious. You just dont share the many types of humor thats out there is all.

Personaly i much rather see the crude in chat then boring convos of the mission they just did. And im sure i can speak for alot of players that do enjoy gen chat when i say its like taking a break from doing a mission or pvp. Sit on chat and talk trash. Sure alot of it can get out of hand but it doesnt last very long at all.

So instead of staying quiet and getting pissy about nothing that even concerns you, why not just say hey can we change the subject this is getting old. Or introduce a new subject. Lighten up and remember its a game and you can allways turn off general chat.
You guys are right, and a lot smarter than me.

Could some of you brave anonymous players post a few lines from gen chat here in the forums? Show us all how delicate we are.

Have some courage, man-up, back up your condescending replies, and post some of the best highlights from general chat. Let's see them.

Royons
01.07.2013 , 11:14 AM | #63
I keep my Gen turn off if i don't need it unless i looking for a group. Plus don't forget we do have Ignore option on there to. But yeah there a lot of non mature people trolling on gen i just stay out of it and keep questing. If you people have hard time to turn off your gen or use your ignore button that your issule the gen don't need to be monitored 24/7. Just grow up do your quest it so easy to Ignore troll.

Keiori
01.07.2013 , 01:53 PM | #64
I just turned off general chat. Don't watch it, can't be offended by it... It's like magic!

Damask_Rose
01.07.2013 , 02:22 PM | #65
So your answer to the problem of a hostile general chat is for all of the decent players to turn off chat so general can sink further and further into a cesspool and drive new players away since they can't get questions answered in a civil manner? Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away, it just makes it worse. Racist, misogynistic bullies should not be given control over general chat!

Unity 3d tutorials
Friends referral for free character transfer and unlocks

ExcaliburKnight
01.07.2013 , 03:03 PM | #66
Agree with the OP Gen chat at different times of the day really takes a turn for the worst I know I could turn it off but like to help new players if they wish to learn the game or are having trouble finding a Group. lower lvl planets can be some of the worst with some players trolling the Chat.
some think they have every right to talk about your mothers and what they wish to do to them if you ask a simple question about your class or a ingame topic. Seen this a lot and have reported many in last couple of mnths
Most of the trolls just love to think there special

Do like it when I point out on a few occasions that my mother is hitting her 76th birthday normally no response after that about what they would like to do.
LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS

deljavimlg
01.07.2013 , 03:19 PM | #67
i have 39 people ignored

ScarletBlaze
01.07.2013 , 03:30 PM | #68
As some have stated yes we can turn off general chat or ignore some of the chat on general chat.

But some of the things they are saying should not be said at all period. When someone makes a comment against a particular race, that is Racism. When someone makes a joke of rape, there is a problem. When someone thinks it is acceptable to make comments about hitting or abusing someone, there is a problem

Those are the problems that need to be addressed and dealt with by BW and/or EA and those comments are against the rules.

Some of you tell people to get a thick skin and tell them it's not a big deal. I hope I never get a thick skin where I don't care if those comments are being said. Those are the comments that need to stop.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Beslley
01.07.2013 , 03:36 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
So your answer to the problem of a hostile general chat is for all of the decent players to turn off chat so general can sink further and further into a cesspool and drive new players away since they can't get questions answered in a civil manner? Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away, it just makes it worse. Racist, misogynistic bullies should not be given control over general chat!
I never said you have to "give them general chat". Look at my previous post. Sheesh.
You already have the tools to stop them. Troll thrive on responses, on reactions. If you respond to them, you win. It doesn't matter how well thought out your response is, how rational or logical it is. IF YOU RESPOND, you are egging them on.
You have an ignore and a report function. Use them. Don't respond to the trolls. Make them social pariahs. By refusing to stoop to their level you are already improving the community. If nobody will respond to them and nobody will group with them, they will move on. They will get their kicks elsewhere.

The only way they have "control" over general chat is if you respond to them.

This coming from someone who has, in their day, been a troll. You honestly don't know how hard it was for me to type out this response instead of fanning the flames. Just by the responses in this thread, it would be so easy. You have no idea.

Demanding Bioware use development time to fix general chat is a fool's errand when, again, you already have the tools to improve the community in your hands. Please let Bioware fix things like game-breaking bugs instead of having to babysit chat.
<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT

deljavimlg
01.07.2013 , 03:38 PM | #70
And the block option have the good thing that you cannot make groups with them and they cannot make groups with you.