Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Philelectric
12.04.2012 , 11:57 AM | #21
I know what sarcasm and humor is, So I dont need /ignore.
I also know that its a game with a community going around 12 years old+
And I know that its possible to turn of the chat or only use the guild chat so I dont need to make useless qq thread on the forum.

inb4, is it a troll thread? I mean you are serious when you say that you want Bioware to hold your hand and click on guild chat or turn off the chat for you?

If you want a super mature community go on a discution forum. SWTOR is an Massive Multiplayer Online Role Play Game, this mean that people will play the game the way they want. If they want to have wierd and stupid conversations, They will have those conversation. As long there is no rascist or other things like that involved there is absolutly ZERO problem
Guarding a healer is not only the job the the skill ''guard''. It is also your job to stay around the healer to be a plague for the people attacking the healer.

Journeyer
12.04.2012 , 12:08 PM | #22
If you want a super mature community, you don't pack your bags and go elsewhere. You don't somply ignore people who are below the desired community standard. If you want the world to be a better place, you stop rolling over and taking a spanking from all the trolls in the world, and you make a stand for decency and maturity. You ask for it and promote it in your community instead of throwing your hands up and saying it's too far gone.

You make the world a better place by caring for it.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

Joesixxpack
12.04.2012 , 02:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Druidregalia View Post
are you on Prophesy of the Five? Just asking because I was leveling my smuggler alt that night trying to get her to the jedi temple for the HK part. yeah....I ignored about 10 people that night.
Evening and weekend POT5 fleet and home planet gen chats are cesspits of stupidity, best to tab over or ignore unless you need something.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

Belly
12.04.2012 , 02:08 PM | #24
It's isn't that bad on TOFN...usually. It does suck sometimes, but paying people to monitor it? Who would even take that job? Report em, block em, I really don't think we can ask much more of BW.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

Gidrea
12.04.2012 , 02:13 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
Freedom of speech doesn't give you some innate right to say things that are rude, hateful, and against the agreed upon behaviour rules of whatever platform you're using to communicate, y'know.
This is very true. With freedom comes responsibility. Having said that, I'd like to point out that Freedom of Speech guarantees that the government will not infringe upon your right, not a private party or business. BW and the community are well within their rights to impose and enforce standards of behavior.

I only turn on General Chat when guild recruiting. I usually watch it for 5 or 10 minutes so I know who I don't want to invite.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Mädison / Sweetpeä / Randava / Lexä - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

Gidrea
12.04.2012 , 02:18 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
I'd do it for minimum wage and no benes.
I'd do it for free.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Mädison / Sweetpeä / Randava / Lexä - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

Soapland
12.05.2012 , 12:10 PM | #27
This is an online game, gen chat is for trolling. Have you not been on the internet before? If you need to sell something, use /trade or the gtn, if you need to ask a question i direct you to google. If gen chat doesn't amuse you, simply turn it off.

Malkavier
12.07.2012 , 09:15 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Soapland View Post
This is an online game, gen chat is for trolling. Have you not been on the internet before? If you need to sell something, use /trade or the gtn, if you need to ask a question i direct you to google. If gen chat doesn't amuse you, simply turn it off.
One hundred times this.

Also, General Chat is exactly that, General Chat (and all that the words General and Chat mean).

That being said, I don't whine nor cry about what I read on a General Chat channel. Now if someone was whispering to me and saying foul things just to be a jackanapes, I would then do the proper thing and use my /ignore function and report them.

I do concur that people saying racist things about blacks and Jews, etc, that I have seen, have been reported. People talking about lemonparty? Nope. People know it's a troll and don't get all huffy about it, like they are the infinite superior guardian of all chat or something.
L50 Annhi Marauder L50 Madness Sorc L17 Gunslinger L23 Pyro Tech L35 Medic OP L17 Marks Sniper L50 Lethality Sniper

"Your fear angers me. My anger feeds my hate. My hate gives me strength."

TheBBP
12.07.2012 , 09:34 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Malkavier View Post
One hundred times this.

Also, General Chat is exactly that, General Chat (and all that the words General and Chat mean).

That being said, I don't whine nor cry about what I read on a General Chat channel. Now if someone was whispering to me and saying foul things just to be a jackanapes, I would then do the proper thing and use my /ignore function and report them.

I do concur that people saying racist things about blacks and Jews, etc, that I have seen, have been reported. People talking about lemonparty? Nope. People know it's a troll and don't get all huffy about it, like they are the infinite superior guardian of all chat or something.
There are things called:
  • Tact
  • Respect
  • Courtesy
  • Decency

Being anonymous on the internet does not exempt you from them.
REPUBLIC TROOPERS
Crosswire - Heavy GunnerElíta-one - Combat Medic
Canonball - Pointman

Ebon Hawk

BobaTed
12.07.2012 , 02:43 PM | #30
Maybe the community should be given the tools to police itself. If someone is /ignored by, say, 20 people, that person gets a temporary chat ban anywhere between an hour to 24 hours. Think that'll work?