Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Shwarzchild
01.09.2013 , 01:32 PM | #91
Turn

Gen Chat

Off.

I know a lot of you want to change what's being said in there, but you won't change the person. It's simply not going to happen. It's unrealistic. It's trying to turn a boulder into a cloud. If you want to help people that badly, /say I am willing to help players who need it, send PM if needed. And that's it, you don't hear rape jokes, you don't hear helen keller jokes, or whatever jokes there are that upset you so. Play the game, enjoy the game, and let people who you don't like be off by themselves. This isn't "let's turn in our neighbors". It's a video game. Are they being crude? I have no doubt. Does it actually affect you? Not in the slightest. Just turn the gen chat off. Join a guild, and talk to them, or just visit the forums if you want to help people.

Graydon
01.09.2013 , 02:13 PM | #92
I find it amusing how the very thought of chat channels being moderated scares the jeebers of some of the repliers here.

Forums are moderated, do you fear them too?

Shwarzchild
01.09.2013 , 03:01 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
I find it amusing how the very thought of chat channels being moderated scares the jeebers of some of the repliers here.

Forums are moderated, do you fear them too?
I don't think it's fear of any kind. It's an understanding that there is no real reason to go on any type of crusade about something that can be turned off, and not effect any part of the experience. As well as understanding that not every human being believes the same thing we do. So if they feel the need to spew out what I consider junk, by all means that's their burden to carry.

KnightGreg
01.09.2013 , 03:35 PM | #94
Yeah there's a sweet button called "Report Player". If someone is saying things they shouldn't use that and see what happens. Seriously, BW doesn't NEED to monitor chat 24/7. If people are being morons in General Chat just report them and Ignore them.

ileriaone
01.10.2013 , 06:46 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Drake_Hound View Post

or lets put it a step futher , how come nobody wants to hear doom and gloom story of reality ...
Simple it is a game , I consider it a game , if you are bothered cause it is a game ...
then don't consider it a game , act real life where people dig there heads in the sands ..
you are right.. it is a game, and a game is what people come to enjoy. not the garbage thats in general chat now. seriously, I could care less if the troll want to take it to tells and insult and berate each other to their hearts content, and I will defend their right to do it PRIVATELY. what I dont condone is their urge to turn general chat, which all new players are exposed to, into their own personal cesspool of abuse, insults and stupidity.

as you say, this is a game.. people come here to escape reality for a time. as you say, people are abusive, insulting etc in real life, that is reality. people turn away in reality. well, maybe they would like it different here. better.

as you say.. its a game, not real life so it SHOULD be better. people whine about not getting groups, hard to get groups if you turn off general chat so you are playing a solo game.. but I imagine thats what is preferred.. except then you cant troll anyone can you.

DarthButcher
01.10.2013 , 08:01 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
There are things called:
  • Tact
  • Respect
  • Courtesy
  • Decency

Being anonymous on the internet does not exempt you from them.
Agreed. Courtesy goes a long way.
I didn't know we could report people for tos violations in the general chat. I'll be vigilant in making reports, now that I know.

Giggashadow
01.10.2013 , 08:17 AM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by -Holmes View Post
Though I agree that general is quite crude, the players in question only get banned if you REPORT them.
Simply give the name, server and rough time, and they will check chat logs. Solved.

So we should use 75% of our play time reporting goobs?
Sadly, I just turn gen chat off.

I don't have any suggestions, but using what zone I'm in as a determinate for what chat I see is not working for me.
The theory is nice, in that people doing similar activites can discuss and organize...However that ends up being 5% of the chat that occurs. 90% is garbage and another 5% is feedback on that garbage.
**Universal Disclaimer** -I don't endorse any views or opinions expressed by this post-

LanceCorporalDan
01.10.2013 , 08:56 AM | #98
I wonder what server these problems seem to occur on most? I'm on Jung Ma mainly and rarely run into major problems with general chat... granted sometimes there are those who come out of nowhere with the insults and such (incresingly so with f2p)

That's where I just add them to ignore, works for me since I don't into one every 5 minutes like everyone else seems to be, unfortunately.
Neves - 55 Vanguard
Dahkaras - 55 AssassinKeelaran - 55Juggernaut
Kalkaran - 55 MercenaryKallim - 55 Operative

Damask_Rose
01.10.2013 , 01:42 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by LanceCorporalDan View Post
Did someone just quote the terms of service? That made me literally laugh out loud.
Yes you agree to them, most people just scroll down click the check box, and accept.

But most people have no problems breaking rules and laws that aren't enforced. Here being the terms... I think people should be free to say as they will, aside from real life threats and such. If you don't like it, you are provided with the tools to take care of it on your own.
I quoted the TOS because many people on this thread did not seem to understand that what is being complained about (the racism, gay bashing and other forms of harassment) is against the TOS and therefore can be reported and possibly lead to banning. You might think hate speech is OK and should be tolerated, but it is in direct violation of the code of conduct and can and should lead to a ban if someone reports it.
Visit my strongholds! Cedaric on the Shadowlands

TheBBP
01.10.2013 , 01:49 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by LanceCorporalDan View Post
Did someone just quote the terms of service? That made me literally laugh out loud.
Yes you agree to them, most people just scroll down click the check box, and accept.

But most people have no problems breaking rules and laws that aren't enforced. Here being the terms... I think people should be free to say as they will, aside from real life threats and such. If you don't like it, you are provided with the tools to take care of it on your own.
Nevertheless, you agreed to the ToS. You are expected to abide by it. Chat filters are not a license for you to say as you please.
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk