Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Adaptive Weapons

Kao-Dreden
12.23.2012 , 02:30 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kao-Dreden View Post
I could find Pvp'ers not liking the idea because it'd be difficult to tell which class you're playing until you actually start fighting. You wouldn't be able to prepare as well. But I still think it's an interesting idea.
also, Vanguards using a pistol wouldn't make sense because I'm not sure where a lot of their abilities would come from.

Nichos_Ketra
12.23.2012 , 02:34 AM | #22
I could find Pvp'ers not liking the idea because it'd be difficult to tell which class you're playing until you actually start fighting. You wouldn't be able to prepare as well. But I still think it's an interesting idea.
Well, that's what the advanced class icons they have above players' heads now are for. Glad they added those in. Now they can get away with giving people more customization options with their appearance... ahem, I mean gear, while not breaking their "visual identification" rule.

Goretzu
12.23.2012 , 03:01 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
I can already tell you that they won't do this. It'd involve spending months of mocapping a ton of animations to make them fit the different abilities that these weapons weren't made for.

Well if it's one thing they dual-bladed lightsaber bug shows (the one were the bottom blade bugs and disapears - so it looks like a single bladed lightsaber) is that actually the animations would work ok.

Other than that the animations are all the same and already made anyway.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Goretzu
12.23.2012 , 03:02 AM | #24
With the Cashshop that's no longer really relevent, it's quite possible to disguise your class visually as it is.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

YeIIow
01.01.2013 , 08:26 AM | #25
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
o◙[//////////]ị:◙:ị{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

Primarch_PWnD
01.01.2013 , 11:19 AM | #26
I really like this idea, but I think it'd have to be limited to be implement-able.

For example, if you added an off-hand lightsaber to a Guardian his animations would have to be changed.

But if you created an adaptive blaster rifle, a sniper could use it as a sniper rifle, a commando could use it as a cannon, and a bounty hunter or smuggler could use it as a pistol without much animation issue.

An adaptive pistol or cannon could work the same way.

For the classes that use dual pistols, I suppose they could make it invisible like the smuggler's shotgun or agent's knife; still give the stats and whatnot, but essentially ignore it visually when an adaptive rifle or cannon is equipped, but that may be an animation issue like the guardian.
Profiteers of War and Destruction

Prophecy of the Five

Threesixoe
01.07.2013 , 04:31 PM | #27
its not that hard and not out of reach if everquest a game on a very limited engine can do it why couldn't starwars , I loved that aspect of that game that and mounted combat with the mounts adding to stats depending on which one you chose and even later they implemented skinable mounts so you could ride your class mount and change its appearance, so weapons shouldn't be to far a reach here

Pscyon
01.07.2013 , 05:14 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Nichos_Ketra View Post
Well, that's what the advanced class icons they have above players' heads now are for. Glad they added those in. Now they can get away with giving people more customization options with their appearance... ahem, I mean gear, while not breaking their "visual identification" rule.
Indeed, the initial excuse pre-release for locking weapon types to classes was so the PvPers would know what they're facing. Class icons negated that excuse. The other one was the "iconic"ness rubbish. Now that, for example, Sages can run around looking like Powertechs with cartel armours, that excuse doesn't really work either as there's nothing iconic that.

I'm not sure allowing every weapon to every class would work like a charm, but there's certainly enough available animations to allow melee weapons (assassin's Maul could use a juggernaut's Impale animation if using a 1H lightsaber for instance) for the most part. Blaster rifles/sniper rifles should mostly work with each other I think... as for cannons and pistols I imagine that would require a bit more work.
Sith Sorcerer

Zarkkarn
02.23.2013 , 09:54 AM | #29
I think the weapon restrictions as they are work well to identify classes at a glance, rather than a bh using an autocannon and troopers using pistols i think u should be able to augment the appearance of the weapons we are restricted to to some degree, add silencers, scopes, extended barrels larger, magazine clips, etc. To make our weapons more unique to our character.
Zark Karn of Ahazi
TXF

Bird_of_Thunder
02.24.2013 , 05:47 PM | #30
And if Marauder/Sentinel equips a double-saber, it does the same damage as it would with two sabers.

The problem would be Force-users using blasters/Non-Force users using lightsabers. That would be a bit tricky.

I've always felt commando is more akin to using rifles, but autocannons are cool. This would help me get over the fact that as a commando I have to use autocannons.

Other than that, /sign. This is an epic idea and should be implemented
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>