Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Adaptive Weapons

Goretzu
12.03.2012 , 07:44 AM | #11
Yeah this is an interesting idea.

Certainly lightsaber-wise the current limitations don't seem to make a whole lot of sense.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

lineinfantry
12.16.2012 , 04:38 AM | #12
good idea, why i can't rp as a mandalorian gunner or a sniper trooper? such restrictions kill the rp capabilities of this game.

/signed

spencer_
12.22.2012 , 11:44 AM | #13
I was originally going to post my own thread on this, but on a hunch that someone must have thought of this before me, I did a google search and found this thread. I 100% support this idea. I currently have a healer commando, and I got him the Republic Officer uniform from the collector's edition vendor so he has more of an officer feel to him. He currently looks really stupid with his enormous auto-cannon, and it would be great if I could replace that with a pistol. He'd look really cool as a healer republic officer with a pistol, since pistol is usually the weapon held by the officers in cloth uniforms.

Goretzu
12.22.2012 , 12:09 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by spencer_ View Post
I was originally going to post my own thread on this, but on a hunch that someone must have thought of this before me, I did a google search and found this thread. I 100% support this idea. I currently have a healer commando, and I got him the Republic Officer uniform from the collector's edition vendor so he has more of an officer feel to him. He currently looks really stupid with his enormous auto-cannon, and it would be great if I could replace that with a pistol. He'd look really cool as a healer republic officer with a pistol, since pistol is usually the weapon held by the officers in cloth uniforms.
At this point in the game, it certainly feels like the next logical step.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

TheHunterC
12.22.2012 , 12:27 PM | #15
I am a huge supporter of more weapon choices. At first I was a little disappointed I couldn't put a cannon or techblade on my Powertech, and would love to see something like this put into the game.
BioWare consider the ideas in THIS thread.

proud Collector's Edition owner

Goretzu
12.22.2012 , 01:18 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHunterC View Post
I am a huge supporter of more weapon choices. At first I was a little disappointed I couldn't put a cannon or techblade on my Powertech, and would love to see something like this put into the game.
I'm not sure they could make ranged > melee and vice versa work, but certainly melee > melee and ranged > ranged should be doable.

grombrinda
12.22.2012 , 01:28 PM | #17
Welp I do remember Obi-wan killing Grevious with a blaster (rifle?), and I did see Han Solo wield a light saber, even if just to cut a taun taun open....so adaptive weapons do sound nice.
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

AsheraII
12.22.2012 , 01:41 PM | #18
I can already tell you that they won't do this. It'd involve spending months of mocapping a ton of animations to make them fit the different abilities that these weapons weren't made for. So it's not just a matter of changing the weapon design. Just because some people insist to play Darth Maul as a Marauder instead of an Assassin.

I'd be fine with allowing players to equip all weapons though, but when they equip a weapon not meant for their advanced class, then all they should be able to do was use their basic attack, so no special moves or abilities or even passive effects would work. Perfect for roleplay, useless to play with, and it'd require only minimal changes, since at least the default attack could simply be borrowed from the advanced class that actually does use that weapon. For other animations etc. that is simply not the case.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

Nichos_Ketra
12.22.2012 , 06:34 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
I can already tell you that they won't do this. It'd involve spending months of mocapping a ton of animations to make them fit the different abilities that these weapons weren't made for. So it's not just a matter of changing the weapon design. Just because some people insist to play Darth Maul as a Marauder instead of an Assassin.

I'd be fine with allowing players to equip all weapons though, but when they equip a weapon not meant for their advanced class, then all they should be able to do was use their basic attack, so no special moves or abilities or even passive effects would work. Perfect for roleplay, useless to play with, and it'd require only minimal changes, since at least the default attack could simply be borrowed from the advanced class that actually does use that weapon. For other animations etc. that is simply not the case.
Why not do it in two steps, then? Open up the restrictions on weapons, and then later on deal with the ability restrictions and animation work that may need to be done.

Kao-Dreden
12.23.2012 , 02:25 AM | #20
I could find Pvp'ers not liking the idea because it'd be difficult to tell which class you're playing until you actually start fighting. You wouldn't be able to prepare as well. But I still think it's an interesting idea.