Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Q about Augment Slots

Viridionyx
12.01.2012 , 02:31 PM | #1
My Jedi Sentinel just turned 25, and I'd like to take a break from combat after "completing" Taris (I'm sure I'll be back at some point) and focus my efforts on improving my gear. I just got the schematics for single and double-bladed lightsabers, made a couple and filled 'em with goodies. Then I noticed that one had an augment slot. At first I thought you had to have an armor skill, but then I read that these slots can be achieved through Reverse Engineering. Here are my questions:

Should I keep making hilts with goodies and RE them until I get both with Augment Slots?

Should I reverse engineer the orange robes and pants I wear to try and add augment slots to them?

Should I do the same for Kira's green gear?

Thanks!
"There is no end, no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life." -Federico Fellini

SDTAXantos
12.01.2012 , 02:54 PM | #2
You get Augmentation Slot Components from reverse engineering only crafted items to make Augmentation Kits (Mk-1 through Mk-6).
These Augmentation Kits can be used to add an additional slot, an Augmentation Slot, to your gear that lacks one. You can learn the kit schematics from your crew skill trainer. Each kit requires a Modification Station, located in the Crew Skill area on the fleet (and in various areas in cities on planets), 10x Augment Slot Components and some additional level appropriate materials. This will allow you to add an Augment to your gear in addition to whatever mods you could add before. These are level range specific, so you can't add a level 49 augment to a Augmentation Kit lower than Mk-6. See my link below to help you better understand what this all entails.

In addition, you are also able to get a critical craft on pieces of armor, weapons, implants, and ear pieces that in return adds a level appropriate Augmentation Slot to the piece automatically. You critically crafted some items and thus they have augments automatically! When your companions return from crafting and that message appears on your screen that they were successful, sometimes it will say greatly successful or something along those lines.

In regard to your questions:
Quote: Originally Posted by Viridionyx View Post
Should I keep making hilts with goodies and RE them until I get both with Augment Slots?
Answered above, and thus, only reverse engineer items if you want / need slot components or the materials to craft more items or have the change to learn a higher quality schematic. Add a Augmentation Kit to the item to achieve this if it is your desire to have an augment on that gear. To reiterate, REing items destroys the item you made and has no bearing on the addition of an augment slot, aside from the gained slot component, as the item is destroyed in the process. Also, if you craft an item that has removable mods and you want to reverse engineer, remember to remove them if you need them before you do so!

Should I reverse engineer the orange robes and pants I wear to try and add augment slots to them?
Again, this will destroy the item and if they were a mission reward, you will not get a slot component from them and they will be destroyed as per all items that are reverse engineered. Add a Augmentation Kit to the item to achieve this goal! Through personal experience, I suggest you bank orange gear that you replace. You never know if you will get that cool look again.

Should I do the same for Kira's green gear?
I may be wrong, but I do not think you can add an augmentation kit to a green quality item.

Thanks!

For a better explanation, please read:
http://www.swtor.com/blog/crew-skill...ame-update-1.3

Cheers and happy crafting!

Draloch
12.02.2012 , 02:59 AM | #3
Alot of good information in the above post. I'll add a few things.

You can augment green quality gear or any other type of gear. Just go to a crafting station on the fleet and make sure you have an augment kit and you can augment it.

The most efficient way of getting those augment slots is to make lots of green quality gear of your level and reverse engineer it for the free augmentation kit mat. You get a guaranteed 1 of these items every single time you break down an item and it takes 10 of them to make an augmentation kit. So for every 10 items you break down, you will get enough materials to make 1 augmentation kit.

Unfortunately, artificers can't make augmentation kits. You need to go to the fleet with your mats and find a player with armormech or synthweaving to convert your mats into augmentation kits for you. Alternatively, you may be able to buy the kits directly off the gtn for cash. There are some additional mats required to make an augment kit so you may need to buy those from the gtn, or maybe the crafter you meet has some and can work out a deal with you.

Oggthebase
12.02.2012 , 03:55 AM | #4
I would not bother with augment slots while leveling, as they're just a pain to "maintain" current as you level.
If you happen to crit-craft an item and obtain an augment slot, go ahead and put an augment in there.

But I would not pursue the goal of purposedly getting an augment slot on all pieces, as it's really not so much worth the effort as you'll outlevel it quickly.

If you want to do it you can of course, it's a game after all and you should enjoy it the way you want (as long as it does not involve griefing other people of course).

Draloch
12.02.2012 , 05:36 AM | #5
Technically, I would argue that any time spent addressing gear is time you don't necessarily need to spend. You can keep yourself and your companion geared properly just by accepting the most appropriate quest rewards as you quest and never have to stop. Any gear that you get is going to last a very limited amount of time anyway.

Having said that, I find the game to be more fun to play if I have good stats for the level I'm at. I have 7 level 50's and the past 3 or 4 of them, I've taken weeks of preparatory time out to craft them a set of blue and purple levelling mods for both them and their companions. I also modded all 7 of their customizable armors, plus their weapons with the max level MK-6 augment slots and included level appropriate augments in their levelling "gift pack" mails from my high level characters. I actually even take it a step further and put all the time into preparing their companions the same way. I've spent a couple weeks preparing gear sets for each character before I even create it and start playing it.

Now, obviously, that's taking things to an extreme level, but I've found that having an extremely overgeared character + companion to be a very rewarding way of playing the levelling game. I solo all but the very hardest heroic4 quests on the act 3 planets, and skip ahead all the time if I'm not particularly interested in seeing the open world quests on a particular planet again.

I guess the point I'm making is that some people just want to get out there and do quests and level. There's nothing wrong with that. But, taking a little time off to make sure your gear is as good as it can be can also be a very rewarding way of playing the game. It's fun to feel powerful when you get back in to the questing game with all that new gear on you and your companion.

Oggthebase
12.02.2012 , 07:08 AM | #6
You have a point, and I've been doing it myself, but in my opinion the way to gear a first character is completely different from gearing your 8th when you already have 7 level 50 funneling legacy gear, credits, materials and crafts into the new character.

Doing the farm of materials for augments will keep the player away from the story, which he should enjoy if it's his/her first character. If it's your 8th, it's understandable that min-maxing your stats is more fun than doing the same planetary mission and listening to the same dialogue again.

There are, of course, players who will want to min-max the gear of their first character. I'm perfectly ok with that.
But they should do it understanding that it's going to be a grind.

redfurry
12.03.2012 , 10:50 AM | #7
...but then I read that these [augment] slots can be achieved through Reverse Engineering. Here are my questions:

The above information is very useful and informative. But reading your post, I think you are confused about one point that I'm not sure has been addressed. Just in case:
- Reverse Engineering does not add augment slots to existing gear. It destroys it, in some cases creates materirials to make augment slot kits, and has a chance of teaching you the schematic for a better version of the item.
- What you probably read is that having a critical success while crafting an item will make it with an augment slot. Critical successes are random, but you can improve the chances by using a companion that has a critical bonus to your crafting skill, and using the companion with the highest affection level.

It isn't worth it to go out of your way to keep all your gear augmented while leveling. But since the normal process of REing stuff to make blue items will produce materials to make a couple kits, why not use them?