Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Mad Maul 1.4

Nuzzar
12.01.2012 , 07:25 PM | #11
can you supply some parses with both showing the better dps of Mad Maul vs Madness in equal gear? Or mb a SimCraft?

THX

Ebon-Sith
12.02.2012 , 02:38 AM | #12
Induction says only works while in surging
Stance. Raze only in lightning. Which do you
Use?

PlagaNerezza
12.02.2012 , 02:45 AM | #13
One thing for your guide I think is very important. Your DoT's will break your stealth. Its very important to understand that this build has removed the stealth escapability once you start using DoT's on enemies.

I am not a huge fan of this build. Your running a squishy DoT, line of sight build and then basically putting yourself in harms way. I prefer in a DoT build a lot of slows, roots and CC.

I do not understand obfiscate over insulation. This makes no sense to me since you have no stealth escape abilities if you are cast DoT's constantly. Its only purpose is faster stealth movement.

I would run 3/7/31 personally. Take the 18% more damage with charge master on your dot. Keep avoidance since you going to need to keep range.

Don't get me wrong. I love darkswell. It freaking owns. I run a 24/17/0 build just to have the zomg can I take a royal beating skill. But your not taking it for survival, but instead force management? Probably because of how often you are using maul and shock.

Hey play what you love. Just pointing out some of my concerns if you run this hybrid.
Judust Jax
7 days of free subscription! A free server transfer! + More Goodies!
New & Returning Players. Give a Click and Get a Click!
http://www.swtor.com/r/zTCMYK!

PlagaNerezza
12.02.2012 , 02:46 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ebon-Sith View Post
Use?
the damage increase works without surging charge. The cost reduction to shock does not work unless you have surging charge active. No one cares about the shock cost.
Judust Jax

Xethis
12.02.2012 , 06:05 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ebon-Sith View Post
Use?
I use Lightning Charge for Raze procs and Discharge Dot. The reason I have Induction is for the 30% increased crit damage to Maul. The only thing the Induction talent needs Surging Charge for is to reduce the cost of Shock. But I only Shock to keep up UK so the 45 force cost for how infrequent I use Shock is not so bad.

Xethis
12.02.2012 , 06:40 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by PlagaNerezza View Post
One thing for your guide I think is very important. Your DoT's will break your stealth. Its very important to understand that this build has removed the stealth escapability once you start using DoT's on enemies.

I am not a huge fan of this build. Your running a squishy DoT, line of sight build and then basically putting yourself in harms way. I prefer in a DoT build a lot of slows, roots and CC.

I do not understand obfiscate over insulation. This makes no sense to me since you have no stealth escape abilities if you are cast DoT's constantly. Its only purpose is faster stealth movement.

I would run 3/7/31 personally. Take the 18% more damage with charge master on your dot. Keep avoidance since you going to need to keep range.

Don't get me wrong. I love darkswell. It freaking owns. I run a 24/17/0 build just to have the zomg can I take a royal beating skill. But your not taking it for survival, but instead force management? Probably because of how often you are using maul and shock.

Hey play what you love. Just pointing out some of my concerns if you run this hybrid.
I will be as respectful as I can.

I don't think you read a word I wrote, on top of that we have yet another poster claiming they don't like the spec and they have not even tried it. There are several statements you just said that are summed up for you in the above guide.

First, this is a pve spec. Mad Maul is your greatest sustained dps the Assassin can do. I only added the pvp portion because if you do enjoy how the spec plays, you can have fun in War Zones with it. I stated that there are better pvp specs out there, and I actually stopped running this for pvp even though I had a blast with it.

You are crazy if you think that if you DOT someone and then Force Cloak that it is going to bring you out of stealth. It sometimes keeps you in combat, but it does not hinder your ability to escape.

Obfuscation vrs Insulation, Again in my guide I pointed out pros and cons to both. I even stated that you are not wrong either way you go here. For me personally 4% damage mitigation is not worth losing 2 stealth levels and 10% movement speed. I spend alot of time guarding nodes, which means other Assassins and Operatives are hunting for me. Those 2 extra levels of stealth are priceless.

You do know that Charge Mastery has nothing to do with the DOT from Discharge right? The only thing it buffs is your Lightning Discharge by 18%. It is a nice talent, but sacrifices have to be made so that we can get to the Induction and Darkswell talents in the Deception tree.

If you actually read what I wrote you would have caught that during PvP I use Blackout defensively because of how squishy it is. For PvE I would use Blackout offensively to keep my force pool up so I hardly ever have to Saber Strike.

24-17-0 can be a fun spec to play, but if I were you I would go 23-1-17. Yes you get rid of Induction, Darkswell and Fade, but you already have all the defense you need out of the Darkness tree. The 17 points in the Madness tree give you harder hitting Thrashes via Claws of Decay and more Shock Damage through Chain Lightning. Those two alone will make up for the damage you lose from Induction. On top of that you get Death Field, not only is it the best cap interrupt that Assassins have, but it hits really hard. Another huge advantage to 23-1-17 is Instant cast Whirlwinds which is a very very powerful cc to have in War Zones. On top of all that, since 100% of your Shocks crit via Energize, you get 9% increased crit % to your Thrashes, Mauls and Assassinates. 23-1-17 is just full of "winning" with great defense.

P.S. One more thing in my guide I stated was how Darkness Assassins will always hate on Mad Maul because it is too squishy, and already just on the second page there is a Darkness Assassin complaining that Mad Maul is too squishy lol. I really wish you guys would read through these guides thoroughly before posting your opinions. You might find that what you want to say has already been said, or you might find that something has come to light and changed your view on some things.

Xethis
12.02.2012 , 06:48 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuzzar View Post
can you supply some parses with both showing the better dps of Mad Maul vs Madness in equal gear? Or mb a SimCraft?

THX
I really did try today to get some good info for you but I had quite a bit of server lag today, west coaster playing on an east coast server sucks. When I was on the dummies pretty much all of my abilities where activating after the global cooldown was up lol. I would literally hit DF and it would not land until after I Discharged. Needless to say it would have been impossible to get accurate numbers. I have a pretty hectic work schedule this week I will try to get something concrete for you guys next weekend.

Nuzzar
12.02.2012 , 03:59 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Xethis View Post
I really did try today to get some good info for you but I had quite a bit of server lag today, west coaster playing on an east coast server sucks. When I was on the dummies pretty much all of my abilities where activating after the global cooldown was up lol. I would literally hit DF and it would not land until after I Discharged. Needless to say it would have been impossible to get accurate numbers. I have a pretty hectic work schedule this week I will try to get something concrete for you guys next weekend.
kk thx - btw OP dummy unlock on your ship gets best results usually

PlagaNerezza
12.03.2012 , 01:18 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Xethis View Post
I will be as respectful as I can.

I don't think you read a word I wrote, on top of that we have yet another poster claiming they don't like the spec and they have not even tried it. There are several statements you just said that are summed up for you in the above guide.

First, this is a pve spec. Mad Maul is your greatest sustained dps the Assassin can do. I only added the pvp portion because if you do enjoy how the spec plays, you can have fun in War Zones with it. I stated that there are better pvp specs out there, and I actually stopped running this for pvp even though I had a blast with it.

You are crazy if you think that if you DOT someone and then Force Cloak that it is going to bring you out of stealth. It sometimes keeps you in combat, but it does not hinder your ability to escape.

Obfuscation vrs Insulation, Again in my guide I pointed out pros and cons to both. I even stated that you are not wrong either way you go here. For me personally 4% damage mitigation is not worth losing 2 stealth levels and 10% movement speed. I spend alot of time guarding nodes, which means other Assassins and Operatives are hunting for me. Those 2 extra levels of stealth are priceless.

You do know that Charge Mastery has nothing to do with the DOT from Discharge right? The only thing it buffs is your Lightning Discharge by 18%. It is a nice talent, but sacrifices have to be made so that we can get to the Induction and Darkswell talents in the Deception tree.

If you actually read what I wrote you would have caught that during PvP I use Blackout defensively because of how squishy it is. For PvE I would use Blackout offensively to keep my force pool up so I hardly ever have to Saber Strike.

24-17-0 can be a fun spec to play, but if I were you I would go 23-1-17. Yes you get rid of Induction, Darkswell and Fade, but you already have all the defense you need out of the Darkness tree. The 17 points in the Madness tree give you harder hitting Thrashes via Claws of Decay and more Shock Damage through Chain Lightning. Those two alone will make up for the damage you lose from Induction. On top of that you get Death Field, not only is it the best cap interrupt that Assassins have, but it hits really hard. Another huge advantage to 23-1-17 is Instant cast Whirlwinds which is a very very powerful cc to have in War Zones. On top of all that, since 100% of your Shocks crit via Energize, you get 9% increased crit % to your Thrashes, Mauls and Assassinates. 23-1-17 is just full of "winning" with great defense.

P.S. One more thing in my guide I stated was how Darkness Assassins will always hate on Mad Maul because it is too squishy, and already just on the second page there is a Darkness Assassin complaining that Mad Maul is too squishy lol. I really wish you guys would read through these guides thoroughly before posting your opinions. You might find that what you want to say has already been said, or you might find that something has come to light and changed your view on some things.
Doing damage to an opponent breaks our stealth. From the skill Stealth "Most Hostile Actions prematurely end the effect".

I don't like that you don't take creeping terror and I see no reason you don't take insulation other than stupidity. Not taking insulation in pve might make sense in pve to skip mobs, but has only a complete fool would go into pvp putting a priority of stealth movement speed. You don't get movement speed outside of stealth with that skil. It puts you at about 95% movement speed while stealthed. You might be forced to guard nodes in pvp, but using a build like this wouldn't be a preference. If you are node guarding alot don't you think you should spec into the node guard build?

I dropped 500k in pure madness using procced mauls and DoTs in voidstar last night. Its a great healer pressure spec because you can force the healer to split the healing between himself and his guard.

I did that in the 3/7/31 madness spec. I had no force management issues to need the fade. You get 3% more critical damage (HUGE!) and 18% more damage on your spamable DOT. My creeping terror its hard. I get 2% healing and the additional DoT. I don't mind maul and madness. Its a solid way to play the assassin. Going to 27 points in madness and saying ya creeping terror sucks is insane.

Forget that its a perfect skill to setup your maul strikes with its 2 second root. Forget that you are still running a DoT spec a 2 second freeze so you can keep breaking LoS and/or keep range.

I said I don't like your hybrid, but your guide needs to at least tell readers that using force cloak after doting up someone will almost always result in you exiting stealth on your next DoT tick.
Judust Jax

PlagaNerezza
12.03.2012 , 01:51 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by PlagaNerezza View Post
Doing damage to an opponent breaks our stealth. From the skill Stealth "Most Hostile Actions prematurely end the effect".

I don't like that you don't take creeping terror and I see no reason you don't take insulation other than stupidity. Not taking insulation in pve might make sense in pve to skip mobs, but has only a complete fool would go into pvp putting a priority of stealth movement speed. You don't get movement speed outside of stealth with that skil. It puts you at about 95% movement speed while stealthed. You might be forced to guard nodes in pvp, but using a build like this wouldn't be a preference. If you are node guarding alot don't you think you should spec into the node guard build?

I dropped 500k in pure madness using procced mauls and DoTs in voidstar last night. Its a great healer pressure spec because you can force the healer to split the healing between himself and his guard.

I did that in the 3/7/31 madness spec. I had no force management issues to need the fade. You get 3% more critical damage (HUGE!) and 18% more damage on your spamable DOT. My creeping terror its hard. I get 2% healing and the additional DoT. I don't mind maul and madness. Its a solid way to play the assassin. Going to 27 points in madness and saying ya creeping terror sucks is insane.

Forget that its a perfect skill to setup your maul strikes with its 2 second root. Forget that you are still running a DoT spec a 2 second freeze so you can keep breaking LoS and/or keep range.

I said I don't like your hybrid, but your guide needs to at least tell readers that using force cloak after doting up someone will almost always result in you exiting stealth on your next DoT tick.
24/17/0 is about tanking in warzones. Its not for everyone and I don't tell people its the "best" build. I run a shield and do it for survivability and mitigation of damage. Whirlwinds speed cast has its use mostly its a stealth cappers build. Its not like the skill goes away its just on a cast timer. I use it to bug the enemy back row while guarding my healers. As to death field. You have to decide as a guard/tank. Do you want a stronger hitting maul and more defense or more utility. I will tell you that 24/17/0 is a great huttball carrier. I like deathfields multiple cap interrupt at range. Its good damage. Chain lighting is not as good as induction. If you decide do it on death field. Do you need it and how much tanking/guarding will you do in a warzone. If your stealth capping look at a madness/darkness build.
Judust Jax