Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are free respecs messing with PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Are free respecs messing with PvP?

UberDuberSoldat
11.30.2012 , 12:52 PM | #21
This feature is something that further separates the men from the boys.

Both teams have access to it, and it is obviously intended to be allowed. You could always do this before, it just cost money.

It doesn't break PvP, it enhances it.

Every class except sniper/mara has a dual role now, and every one of those players should be getting both DPS and heal/tank gear. All the good players will. All the bad players won't and they'll cry. With 1.6 changes making gear gap even smaller, you have nothing to cry about except your own incompetence and inability to adapt.
Darth Soldåt - Juggernaut Soldät - Powertech Darth Sôldat - Assassin

UGLYMRJ
11.30.2012 , 01:09 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by UberDuberSoldat View Post

Both teams have access to it, and it is obviously intended to be allowed. You could always do this before, it just cost money.

Every class except sniper/mara has a dual role now, and every one of those players should be getting both DPS and heal/tank gear. All the good players will. All the bad players won't and they'll cry. With 1.6 changes making gear gap even smaller, you have nothing to cry about except your own incompetence and inability to adapt.
Sounds about right... and applies to the many threads about pugs wanting a "solo queue". People complaining about the "disadvantage" in things that are available to ALL players.

UGLYMRJ
11.30.2012 , 01:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SlimsPicken View Post
It elevates gameplay.

no reason to get stuck in a warzone with a build thats not ideal.

A team has no healers, become one.

A team has too many healers, dps.

No tanks guarding healers? itank.

too many tanks, not enough dps, ikill.

More variety, more fun.
And this... this about sums it up.

TheBigBee
11.30.2012 , 01:10 PM | #24
it will cause more problems at higher end pvp because of this

example

sent vs jug

jug can now be and added tank in VS sent is still only dps

it will cause an already group make up game to become even more so to get max resaults

but for non ranked pvp it is fine
PUT YOUR HELMET ON !!!

UGLYMRJ
11.30.2012 , 01:17 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBigBee View Post
it will cause more problems at higher end pvp because of this

example

sent vs jug

jug can now be and added tank in VS sent is still only dps

it will cause an already group make up game to become even more so to get max resaults

but for non ranked pvp it is fine
Marauder specs rage for VS, carnage for CW and HB....
Jug specs tank for VS defense, DPS for offense, tank for huttball...
Yeah... some AC's get screwed but I think over all... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. And it ain't broke.

The list can go on and on... def makes the matches more interesting and adds a new level to the game.

TheBigBee
11.30.2012 , 01:21 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
Marauder specs rage for VS, carnage for CW and HB....
Jug specs tank for VS defense, DPS for offense, tank for huttball...
Yeah... some AC's get screwed but I think over all... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. And it ain't broke.

The list can go on and on... def makes the matches more interesting and adds a new level to the game.
the only map it effects really is VS and it will make group make up more important = less teams qing ranked because they dont have right comp on

all im getting at
PUT YOUR HELMET ON !!!

FeralPug
11.30.2012 , 01:24 PM | #27
I love the ability to respec according to group comp and WZ type. I'm running powertech tank now in HB, and it's a blast.

I'd argue that it's great for snipers and mara's too. Going engineer on defense in VS is very useful, and having carnage for HB and the opener of Alderaan is great.

I also agree that it rewards the best players. Those who can effortlessly switch roles are benefitting the most from this change.

It's certainly kept things fresh as of late.
Jerc Starr Jercules Jercenary Drastic
Social 1. Valor 100.

<Hex> www.tehhex.com

filipesantana
11.30.2012 , 01:27 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by MelliMelon View Post
Just wondering the PvP community's thoughts on this. It is not unheard of to have people respec to tank hybrid/healing specs during the phase switch on voidstar, or if they capture a node in CW or NC, not to mention all the people respeccing for huttball. I feel like this negatively impacts gameplay, but I have done it myself as well, and see the lure of it, especially in a bad pug.

Do you find it to be a problem? In ranked? In normals? Should BW do something about it (like disable respecs after the start of a match? Some other thing?)
and here we go again..swtor community yet again proving how bad it is...

yes lets eliminate any trace of competitive pvp
yes lets not give poeple a chance to have optimal specs depending on the wz making it more competitive...

having a brain to understand advantages is totally op..NERF

funkiestj
11.30.2012 , 01:52 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by UberDuberSoldat View Post

Agreed. As a general principle of game play, every time you add a chance to make a good/bad decision (e.g. whether to respec in WZ and what spec to choose) you add skill to the game.

I've been too lazy to do this yet. My personal preference would be to allow respec before entering the field of play (i.e. in the box but before the match has begun) but not during play (e.g. halftime in voidstar).

There are arguments for both approaches. Not allowing respec after entering the WZ means you must balance the needs of offense and defense within a single spec. If one system (allowing or not allowing after entering WZ) results in more varied specs being used then I think that system would be best. E.g. If allowing respec at Voidstar halftime results in all guardians playing the same tank spec on defense and the same smash on offense while the other system results in more varied specs being used then the other system is better (again, IMO).

All in all, Bioware has far bigger fish to fry than this respec issue. E.g. give us
  • season 1 of rated war zone!!?!?! .
  • cross server queuing and a retarded (rather than brain dead) match making algorithm
  • making more advanced class specs playable in rated WZ PvP (e.g. DPS commandos)

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

TheronFett
11.30.2012 , 02:03 PM | #30
One of the big reasons I recently rolled Commando was because of the free field respecs.

I often switch between DPS and heals, depending on what is needed, and will switch mid-game if I have to, or even multiple times in a single game. You can't switch gear or specs while in combat, so this isn't an "exploit" or taking advantage of the system as some of the detractors have stated. Working as intended.