Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Gear Gap" Fix Proposal

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
"Gear Gap" Fix Proposal

L-RANDLE
12.06.2012 , 02:03 PM | #21
Another shameless plug....

Wondering if Allison will acknowledge? Especially with the epic-ness that is this thread..
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Grethore
12.06.2012 , 02:55 PM | #22
There is definitely a gear gap in PvP. And while I would agree that there should be, and that there should be tiers to reward those that progress diligently, my problem with it is the AMOUNT of the gap.

I just replaced my new 50's recruit gear with BM. Had to, the recruit stuff SUCKS. My 47 level gear had in some cases HIGHER stats on it with exception to the expertise. Anyways...looking at the WH items, some of the stats on the WH items are nearly double that of the recruit item. I can see the stats increasing at about 25% per tier, but NOT 50% per tier. That's just too much!!!

Talking from experience, in other MMO's and this one....I can certainly see a bad situation happening if gear stat allocation is not CLOSELY and vigorously constrained. The problem I see happening is what is called stat bloat. The top level gear is so over loaded with stats that, if any new gear is released, for a higher tier, that new tier needs to be worthwhile as an upgrade, so those stats need to be at a level to make the old stuff obsolete, which in the case of WH vs BM vs Recruit, the increase is about 50% approximately. What happens is, as I have personally seen, that the bottom tier of gear is worthless. This makes recruit geared or "fresh 50's" cannon fodder for WH geared players. What you will end up with is one group of people frustrated by getting steamrolled by the better geared group, and then just giving up on PvP all together. And then you'll have the other group with the best gear saying there's nothing wrong with that. /eyeroll

What I'm saying is, be VERY careful about gear stat allocation. PvP should NOT be about who has the best gear, but rather about who plays the best. The gear should only improve your performance, not define it. And secondly, at the least, make recruit gear equal to actual level 50 gear. It's pretty pathetic when the "starter level 50 pvp set" has lower stats on it than PvE gear 3 levels lower, (with exception to the expertise that is not on the PvE gear.) The addition of the expertise does not make up for the lower stats it has.

L-RANDLE
12.06.2012 , 03:27 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Grethore View Post
There is definitely a gear gap in PvP. And while I would agree that there should be, and that there should be tiers to reward those that progress diligently, my problem with it is the AMOUNT of the gap.

I just replaced my new 50's recruit gear with BM. Had to, the recruit stuff SUCKS. My 47 level gear had in some cases HIGHER stats on it with exception to the expertise. Anyways...looking at the WH items, some of the stats on the WH items are nearly double that of the recruit item. I can see the stats increasing at about 25% per tier, but NOT 50% per tier. That's just too much!!!

Talking from experience, in other MMO's and this one....I can certainly see a bad situation happening if gear stat allocation is not CLOSELY and vigorously constrained. The problem I see happening is what is called stat bloat. The top level gear is so over loaded with stats that, if any new gear is released, for a higher tier, that new tier needs to be worthwhile as an upgrade, so those stats need to be at a level to make the old stuff obsolete, which in the case of WH vs BM vs Recruit, the increase is about 50% approximately. What happens is, as I have personally seen, that the bottom tier of gear is worthless. This makes recruit geared or "fresh 50's" cannon fodder for WH geared players. What you will end up with is one group of people frustrated by getting steamrolled by the better geared group, and then just giving up on PvP all together. And then you'll have the other group with the best gear saying there's nothing wrong with that. /eyeroll

What I'm saying is, be VERY careful about gear stat allocation. PvP should NOT be about who has the best gear, but rather about who plays the best. The gear should only improve your performance, not define it. And secondly, at the least, make recruit gear equal to actual level 50 gear. It's pretty pathetic when the "starter level 50 pvp set" has lower stats on it than PvE gear 3 levels lower, (with exception to the expertise that is not on the PvE gear.) The addition of the expertise does not make up for the lower stats it has.
While I generally agree stat based PvP is LOL.. You need to have it in order to prevent raiders from coming in and smokin fools... PvE is about gear... So there has to be some equalizer on the PvP side.... and its EXP points and the EXP formula. This is why EXP should be regulated in a different way. Instead of adding new PvP sets to "match" new sets being distributed in PvE, use EXP formula as a tool to prevent any wild swings between tiers, and if you don't want to release a new PvP set, add small quantities of EXP points, like 100 over an entire set.

The point of having low main/end stats on the starter PVP set is so you are not giving away a free 50 set for PvE players, but to stop starter players from getting blasted you give them a higher allocation of EXP points (they should move it to like 1700EXP) to compensate. That means the set would be somewhat useless outside of PvP, but not get train wrecked while in PvP.
Currently,
Recruit EXP= 1100
WH+= 1400+

This will be the case for *some starters after 1.6 drops, and even more people will be well-geared. This is no gouda....
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Mackeyla
12.07.2012 , 04:05 PM | #24
PvP gear has never been less expensive to get in my opinion. Compare getting gear now vs how it was at release when we had to buy bags for comms to obtain champ/centurian gear, and relying on random chance when opening bags to get Battlemaster gear. Not to mention the fact that you used to have to grind comms to get your starting set of PvP gear and now they hand a set to you at level 50. It may not be super awesome gear but it does have expertise on it that makes you less squishy. They've also raised the comm caps so that if you have pvped regularly as you level up, you'll have more comms to buy gear with once you hit 50. When 1.6 hits and all of the War Hero gear drops down in price and they remove the BM set, the playing field will be pretty even since the stats on the Elite War Hero isn't much better than the plain War Hero gear. Not sure what else you could ask for other than maybe getting slightly more comms for being on a losing wz team or something like that.
~*~Mackayla~*~Mackaela~*~Mackenzi~*~
In my fist there's a song...
Do you want to sing along?

~*~Ascendancy~*~