Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Heroic Space Missions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Heroic Space Missions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

11.29.2012 , 12:50 AM | #71
TOR has three pieces that are epic failures...

1) We were promised a game (from dev blogs) that was to be a mix of themepark and sandbox with enough sandbox elements where people could "explore" and "live" in the space. We got the purest themepark I have seen for a while. EPIC fail.

2) Endgame is a complete disaster for pvp. Raids are gear treadmills. So boring. Ilum was a disaster, removed, and not fixed. No endgame planets. No open worlds. No minigames in cantinas. No reason to be in a cantina. Nothing to build community. No pazaak, no swoop many missed opportunities to build community. No guild cities/ships. Fail fail fail.

3) And then there is space. Rail space. Single player rail space in an MMO. HUGE disappointment, and was thoroughly impuned by the community as such from the second it was introduced. Yet BW IGNORED the feedback and pushed ahead with total crap. In fact, the F2P kiddie star wars MMO, the clone wars from SOE, has better space. And it has multiplayer swoop racing with different tracks on different planets. It started F2P.

Space in this game, spending another SECOND on railspace is a slap in the face to every long time star wars gamer that loved the xwing/tie fighter series which was successfully added into an MMO in the form of JTL. Now, JTL wasnt perfect, but it is infinitely superior...LIGHT YEARS BEYOND...the crap in this game. How can you punt so bad on space in a STAR WARS game. It is the same poor planning that destroyed this game, and is another example of how BW failure resulted in F2P.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

11.29.2012 , 12:57 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Gordoma View Post
I don't like the combination of high difficulty and high cost of new space components. Even with full tier 6 and all current specials I will need to spend weeks grinding old space missions just to get the gear to do the new ones. What was the point of getting tier 6? It's like starting all over again w/ out any true progression.

I've been enjoying the rail shooter, but I would prefer if the time was spent to A) randomize the flight path B) create non-rail space combat or C) create other minigames, such as Sabaak
One reason why a certain grind is more boring than other forms of grinding, is because the space grind has no meaning.

My spaceship feels detached from the rest of the game. Why am I doing space missions? How does it further the story? How does it help the Republic? How does it benefit ME personally?

Right now space missions feel like xp bags or credit bags. They don't affect the world in any way.

I prefer if you could use your spaceship to mine some rare minerals which can then be used to make gear.

Or there be a sandbox space area where republic players and empire players compete for territory.
The more space missions republic players do, the more "space territory" they take, and the higher the bonuses they get on planets. The bonuses can be called "space buffs", and can increase your personal stats. Or give reduced vendor prices.

Just make space missions meaningful.
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System

11.29.2012 , 01:24 AM | #73
I do space missions every now and then. Just like I do a PvP WZ every now and them. For me both of them are mini-games that I touch upon a few times in between the things I usually do. PvE solo or with guildies.

Nice with a upgrade to them, been a while since I last took my ship out to play. Personally I would love to choose myself which companions that comes my character is flying. Never really came to like Kira that much and would love to be able to get someone else to speak during space missions.

11.29.2012 , 01:59 AM | #74
I hardly post, but... MORE RAIL???? OMG.

Very disappointing. Really. This game had big potential, but... RAILS, REALLY?? That was low...

11.29.2012 , 02:07 AM | #75
These missions will be repeatable (boring), incredibly challenging (still on rails but more baddies to shoot, boring), and reward players who enjoy the current Space Missions (no-one?). Our goal is to make these missions worthy of the most skilled players, and completing them, along with their Bonus Objectives, should test the greatest pilots (pilots fly, this is to test the best turret gunners). To help in this endeavor, players will also be able to get new upgrades for their ship, attainable through various means like trade skills and specialty vendors. The rewards for these missions will also be increased, and hopefully provide new motivations for players who want to improve their gear for use in Flashpoints and Operations (what does space have to do with these?).

As we’ve stated in the past, quality of life is always one of our focuses for dedicated players in Star Wars: The Old Republic (really? prove it), so there will also be a number of improvements players can look forward to. For instance, a number of our missions will perform better on lower-end machines. We’ll also be adding one of our favorite changes: a missile and torpedo counter that literally reflects how much ammunition you have remaining (wow, this is your facourite change? oh dear god). Oh, and did we mention it might be necessary to fire more than one proton torpedo in some of these missions? (oh noes...)

We look forward to getting all of your feedback and reactions to the new missions (really? you havent listened since BETA), and we hope you enjoy them as much as we do (no i wont even try them cos they are still on the rails for crying out loud).

11.29.2012 , 02:26 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by iSoldat View Post
Take off the training wheels, allow for open space missions, and open space pvp. The space missions on rails is just boring.
I dont think you know what you are asking.. Its a completely different thing from the current themepark ride system to have open flight. I suspect Bioware couldnt develop AI for the enemy fighters in open space even if they wanted. Best we can propably get is two ships in there at the same time, on two separate railroad tracks.

Its not training wheels, its how the system is designed.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

11.29.2012 , 02:41 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthvidar View Post
^That! and make some FP-space missions. it gets so boring alone.
You voice my thoughts

11.29.2012 , 02:51 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Prokaryote View Post
I think you guys are forgetting the fact that the original KOTOR games both had space combat as a teeny-tiny minigame, and still, those turned out to be great, story-driven games. You shouldn't have been expecting anything more, this was supposed to be a KOTOR 3, except with other people playing. I agree, however, that they advertise space combat as something more than it really was, and perhaps that led people to become angry when it turned out that it wasn't actually a huge component in the overall game. Still, I am content with the, er, content of this little minigame, and little improvements are appreciated. Sure, they could be improving the main game, but it's not like these are extremely time-consuming changes. I'd be more upset if they were trying to add more features than what they are adding now, with the current problems that exist in the main game, but this is harmless.
I agree with most of your post but..
The bolded part, when did they advertise it as more than a rail shooter? As I still remember exactly when this mini game was announced and as far as my memory tells me, it was never announced as anything more than a 'cinematic, on rails space shooter'. Which is exactly what we have.

PS. Not to the person I quoted but: Really guys? Being angry over something being added that you don't play? Are you really such an entitled little brat that you want to complain about this? There are people who enjoy the space combat of TOR for what it is: Do you think those people are not entitled to at least an update on one of their enjoyed activites ONCE A YEAR? Because really.. not everyone plays only PVP or PVE endgame in this game.
But no, you guys prefer to be entitled little brats and just complain about something that you yourself don't even play.

You guys are like PVEers coming to the PVP forum and complaining about how PVP is bad, or vice versa. And I'm sure you dislike those people as well.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

11.29.2012 , 02:53 AM | #79
I´m sure BW put some work into this, but they should really start calling this a MINIGAME and tell us something about "real" space ASAP.

The space missions are fun every now and then, but that´s it. I hope the graphics assets are re-used for the bigger project, otherwise it almost seems like a waste of resources, since long term replayability is not too good...

Also.. what´s with the desperate catering for the damn "low end systems", is that really necessary?
Nothing about the SW IP was about "Low end" better start pushing the boundaries like Chris Roberts does with Star Citizen.

11.29.2012 , 02:58 AM | #80
We've been asking for more minigames and diversions as an alternative to Ops/FPs/PVP. This is great, and offers an alternative way to gear up and progress. I'm very excited about this and is another example of the type of content that brought me back to the game.

Kudos! I can't wait to try it and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next. I think the game is headed in a positive direction.

That said, I also believe this is something to tide us over while bigger things are in the works, but it's a start.

I'm trying to stay positive, constructive, and supportive here. No doubt Bioware is very aware we want cantina games, pod racing, full free roaming space combat, and sandbox elements. I have full confidence that if these things are at all possible, they are on the way. I'm applauding one small step in that direction. Here's something mini-game related, and it's a start.