Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Deserter debuff.

KorbinArmand
11.28.2012 , 01:34 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
100% agree!
============================
A main point I think should be considered is the fact that people are DC'n a lot more since 1.4 / 1.5...great source of uneeded punishment from that.

I would like to share another, though more tragic reason/example why this is a horrid idea:

Last week I was helping people with FP's and at one point one of the members told us he got a phone call and one of their parents had passed away and obviously had to log off, that person would be punished because of the debuff that the OP proposes.
so you take a 10-15min debuff? if they are harassing you, open ticket about them and in afew days they'll be hit with 1 day - forever game debuff. Justice will be your's you just need patience Grasshopper.

The Debuff is there for specific reason, to discourage those that would pay tank/heal to que with them to jump them in line in the Que and have tank/heal just leave after, its also there to discourage wasting of everyones time period. Taking a group then leaving right away wastes time of all people, thus game then ensures it wastes more of your time then groups.

Personally i think debuff should be more punishing, compounding over times you jump group. Now this would have daily/weekly limit and be reduced with each successful group you do. But true punishment to run up to account wide, so you can so "Hate this group" drop then switch to another char, rinse repeat.
May the Fourth Be With You

monkgryphon
11.28.2012 , 01:36 PM | #12
I didn't know about this 15 minute wait... I've never left a FP. I wouldn't call having to wait 15 minutes a debuff. When I heard the term debuff, I was thinking it was something that would penalize you, not just make you wait.

DarthTHC
11.28.2012 , 01:37 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
100% agree!
============================
A main point I think should be considered is the fact that people are DC'n a lot more since 1.4 / 1.5...great source of uneeded punishment from that.

I would like to share another, though more tragic reason/example why this is a horrid idea:

Last week I was helping people with FP's and at one point one of the members told us he got a phone call and one of their parents had passed away and obviously had to log off, that person would be punished because of the debuff that the OP proposes.

The debuff is for 15 minutes after you leave the instance, whether or not you're logged in. I can't imagine any human would get the news of losing a parent and then play the game again within 15 minutes.

Just sayin'
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

MillionsKNives
11.28.2012 , 01:38 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
The debuff is for 15 minutes after you leave the instance, whether or not you're logged in. I can't imagine any human would get the news of losing a parent and then play the game again within 15 minutes.

Just sayin'
I was thinking the same thing.

paul_preib
11.28.2012 , 01:46 PM | #15
As stated it can serve as a two way street. I tend to heal a lot, one of my characters is a permanent healer and two of my other three 50's spend at least 50% of the time healspecced, and while I don't mind soldiering through a run that is going to be a little slower than normal, certain times that "it's a game don't put yourself through this" instinct kicks in.

1.Don't mind giving it a go with undergeared, we had a 13k dps guardian and a gunslinger with a level 46 barrel, not thrilled with the HM draw for those dps but c'est la: 13k dps guardian in kaon stands next to a bloated plaguebearer when he explodes leaving him low enough that an infected hunter 1-shots him, starts chewing me out for "No heals", -- dropped got into a nice average (i.e. columi not full BH) group that had a smooth friendly false emperor run. So much more pleasant then 'sticking it out' for the sake of doing so.

2.Got into a battle of ilum run and I see three members of the same guild, first instinct is to think "good this usually bodes well". Tank then asks if we can do all content since the other two need the gear. Would rather not personally (would have at least liked to skip bonus quest) but since he was up front about it agreed and we proceeded. No coordination, occasionally two people would trigger bunkers at once, despite the shadow tank actually being well-geared he had no sense of controlling threat so my sawbones was constantly running for his life, every time something went wrong he'd berate the least geared/experienced player (despite being a fellow guildie) for screwing something up even when it wasn't his fault. Mix in three different times where we had to stop for someone's 5 minuteish afks. A wipe right after blowing those three consoles and he again starts laying into the dps (who was not at fault). Despite being near the end by that point it just wasn't worth it.

These situations tend to be rather few, most of my experiences with flashpoints have been quite good, be it just friendly camaraderie or a group so well geared/versed that its like clockwork. Of the remaining runs most are still workable enough to make one's way through it and finish.

But there still are those runs where in all fairness one feels compelled to leave and it is nice having the capacity to do so.
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

Bigbearbear
11.28.2012 , 02:25 PM | #16
15mins debuff is very generous I think, in WoW you'll get a 30min debuff instead. I'm leveling a Gunslinger and I love this system, 15min is so short it doesn't matter if you decide to drop group.

Sometimes I'll get a group with a fail tank/healer with aggro flying all over the place, or the tank not knowing where to go etc. I can simply put them on ignore, drop group, run my class quest line and be back in FP again fairly quickly.

Andryah
11.28.2012 , 02:34 PM | #17
Personally, I support a deserter debuff only for PvP play. I think for PvP it is integral to the spirit of PvP play. If you desert you group mates on the field of battle to be slaughtered by the other faction..... you deserve to be punished, and punished hard. At the same time... the game must account for DCs and not autoboot and punish for DCs (and yeah, I know that a player can pull their internet cable and fake a DC... but you probably have larger issues with this sort of player and will kick them anyway.

As for PvE.... NO. Yeah, you can get all manner of bad behaviors in any random group... but you know what... you random group... you take your chances. And frankly DPS can be just a bad behaved as tanks and healers... so there is no exclusivity in bad behaviors in MMOs. The best way to mitigate this is to group with people in your guild or people you know and regularly play with.

/2-cents.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.