Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scoundrel Healing 101

offbeatpaladin
12.20.2011 , 03:43 PM | #11
It may be worth noting that you are primarily pvp minded, as I also think that you are dismissing Diagnostic Scan a bit too quickly. It's just meant to be a filler ability to use when you need to regen energy. Is it useless in PvP? Absolutely, most anything that roots you on a medium armor class in a PvP setting is useful, but Diagnostic Scan would be great in a raid setting where you aren't the only healer, etc.

For instance, every healer has that 'free' heal. During periods of steady damage where most things are stable, I could see stacking those 'free heals' on a tank for pooling energy when the time comes for a boss AoE, etc. You know like, you and the Trooper spamming green beam (Hammer shot, I think?) and Diagnostic Scan to just keep him stable while the sage is regaining his force something along those lines. Healing is a fine oiled machine with things working together to make it all come together.

I do agree it's useless in PvP, but from a Raider perspective, eh it's still not great but if you had to choose between doing nothing and doing diagnostic scan, I think diagnostic scan wins. Especially over things like Scar Tissue.
HOW YOU LIKE YO EGGS?!?

FRIED OR FERTILIZED?

bshenkd
12.20.2011 , 04:21 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelousWang View Post
With upper hand is that party wide or self only.

Aka, does casting Underworld Medicine on another party member give me the 6% boost? or do I have to cast it on myself to get the boost?
It's party wide! You can cast it on anyone and get the bonus.

Quote: Originally Posted by offbeatpaladin View Post
It may be worth noting that you are primarily pvp minded, as I also think that you are dismissing Diagnostic Scan a bit too quickly. It's just meant to be a filler ability to use when you need to regen energy. Is it useless in PvP? Absolutely, most anything that roots you on a medium armor class in a PvP setting is useful, but Diagnostic Scan would be great in a raid setting where you aren't the only healer, etc.

For instance, every healer has that 'free' heal. During periods of steady damage where most things are stable, I could see stacking those 'free heals' on a tank for pooling energy when the time comes for a boss AoE, etc. You know like, you and the Trooper spamming green beam (Hammer shot, I think?) and Diagnostic Scan to just keep him stable while the sage is regaining his force something along those lines. Healing is a fine oiled machine with things working together to make it all come together.

I do agree it's useless in PvP, but from a Raider perspective, eh it's still not great but if you had to choose between doing nothing and doing diagnostic scan, I think diagnostic scan wins. Especially over things like Scar Tissue.
I was thinking about the energy regen potential of it throughout today. Right now I have around 25% crit. Add another 25% crit from the talent and then another 9% from Survivor's Scars and each tick is almost a guaranteed crit. And if 2 energy is regained from each crit, it could potentially pop out 6 energy per 3 seconds which is pretty decent. For right now my healing is more than enough and I have no problems with energy regen, but if I ever feel like my energy regen is lacking, I'll definitely try out that spec that utilizes Diagnostic Scan.
Aiori on Prophecy of the Five - <Hostile Takeover>
Sawbones Scoundrel Healer
Read my guide on Sawbones healing
here!

Luceil
12.21.2011 , 08:55 PM | #13
You are all forgetting that Diagnostic Scan can be used as an interupt decoy.

PaintOnASign
12.22.2011 , 12:38 AM | #14
For being a guide, you really shouldn't dismiss DS as a "useless" heal. It has its purpose, and it does it well. It helps keep your Energy high while healing (even if its small), which should be your goal as a Scoundrel. You're aim should be to share facts, not personal choices for the way you heal. I think your preferred playstyle is noteworthy though.

Otherwise, pretty nifty guide.

EDIT: Your stat priority may be incorrect. (Read: http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread...d=6562#pid6562) Surge/Crit are currently (they affect each other, so they go hand-in-hand) the best stats to go for, as they scale incredibly well. Take note that the post in question is 10 days old, and before Early Access, but most numbers haven't actually changed much, if at all.

Judexis
12.23.2011 , 03:47 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by PaintOnASign View Post
For being a guide, you really shouldn't dismiss DS as a "useless" heal..
I agree, this is giving new players the wrong idea about how healing in PVE as a sawbones works. Not using DS as a PVE healer and not grabbing the talents that help it regen energy is very ignorant.

DS is for regenning energy, its healing is irrelevant. In other games, you would just cast nothing when you would overheal (~94-99%) in this game you use DS to help you fill in those gaps, as well as jump back over the 60 energy no-return line. DS is one of the best abilities a sawbones has, and scales well with crit and alacrity.

DS is not so useful in PvP however, low end healing with energy regen made for sustained or spike-burst sustained damage in PVE, is generally awful for PVP where burst and AOE healing is king.
CE VIP

JAPridemore
12.23.2011 , 10:46 AM | #16
Good Tips OP. thanks for the write up.
Elsidel Legacy - Prophecy of the Five
Jainor 55 Gunslinger; Kai'vek 55 Guardian; Kaiden'sor 55 Sage; Zecthern 55 Vanguard; Torvass 55 Scoundrel; Duo'enses 32 Sentinel
Djaenor 55 Sniper; Ebolus 55 Marauder; Ra'id 22 Mercenary

bshenkd
12.23.2011 , 02:10 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by PaintOnASign View Post
For being a guide, you really shouldn't dismiss DS as a "useless" heal. It has its purpose, and it does it well. It helps keep your Energy high while healing (even if its small), which should be your goal as a Scoundrel. You're aim should be to share facts, not personal choices for the way you heal. I think your preferred playstyle is noteworthy though.

Otherwise, pretty nifty guide.

EDIT: Your stat priority may be incorrect. (Read: http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread...d=6562#pid6562) Surge/Crit are currently (they affect each other, so they go hand-in-hand) the best stats to go for, as they scale incredibly well. Take note that the post in question is 10 days old, and before Early Access, but most numbers haven't actually changed much, if at all.
You're right, I shouldn't have thrown out Diagnostic Scan right from the get-go. Although I'm still strong on my reasoning why I don't use it, I'm still going to add into the guide about the benefits of it and its uses. I, personally, don't have any problems with energy and don't feel like I absolutely need to have Diagnostic Scan talented just. I'll have to see how everything goes at end-game though.

As far as the stat priority goes, I also have been wondering whether power affects healing or not yet. I've never been good at theorycrafting and I'm not exactly sure how I'd go by testing to see if power has any effect on healing. But from what I can tell, crit/surge is a great combination. I have crit/surge on one of my relics and my healing goes up dramatically when I use it.
here!

bshenkd
12.23.2011 , 10:02 PM | #18
Currently streaming @ http://twitch.tv/aioriBFZ.

EDIT: Nevermind, computer can't handle it. >.<
here!

Arcasiel
12.25.2011 , 04:55 PM | #19
Question about the stats, you don't recommend getting Power at all? Not Tech Power just Power.

Morlaak
12.25.2011 , 11:34 PM | #20
This is very, very useful. I also noticed how it's better to use underworld medicine before the battle, it ends up saving a bit more energy from the beggining