Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanks and/or shield generators are dysfunctional and underpowered at level 40+

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Tanks and/or shield generators are dysfunctional and underpowered at level 40+

CannotDeny
11.28.2012 , 01:07 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
You need to provide more specific data.
Just, because your not getting the results you think you shoud doesn't mean there's something wrong with the game.
Guardians and Warriors, compared to other classes, are fairly underpowered. Both PvP and PvE wise.
For PvP, they don't have a good hybrid option. Speccing hybrid tank DPS doesn't net you any actual survivability, while being pure tank nets you absolutely nothing in most matches aside from being slightly annoying. You still die as fast in the end.

In PvE, they have aggro holding issues. And no, I'm not undergeared, nor am I new to tanking. No need for any personal ratings in this, just general consensus. People who say "Juggernauts and Guardians OP" have probably been killed in PvP by the rage spec. And even then compared to Marauders, not as good.

ShadowWolf_Kell
11.28.2012 , 02:09 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Larce_Apollo View Post
NO THEY ARE!!! I WAS ONLY ABLE TO TANK 15 MOBS AT A TIME TODAY!

/caps makes it true

Yes yes, but that was on Dantooine in a beast group! Though I remember you rounding up a lot at invasions too just for grins.

- Voxxi
Iowynn Kell
Havoc Squadron 11-11-11 Jedi Knight Guardian - Honor. Duty. Sacrifice.
"I'm Commander Shephard and 9-29-11 is my favorite news feed on the Citadel."

Storm-Cutter
11.28.2012 , 02:38 AM | #13
I'm assuming the OP has a top-of the range Generator (purple or Orange with purple mods throughout.) - Also look to getting more Datacrons, Adding Augment slots and Augments to your gear. - And (Not being funny) group up with more support characters - A healer in the mix can make or break some heroic quests at Lev. 40 or so. - Or you could always let someone else Tank, while you add DPS, CC, or minor heals depending on your skill-set.

At Lev. 40 or so, the mobs often need a bit more thought befoer you wade in and blast everything. - Also use your buffs and interrupts coz they're crucial for surviving at higher levels!
-Storm Cutter.

oakamp
11.28.2012 , 03:12 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by CannotDeny View Post
Guardians and Warriors, compared to other classes, are fairly underpowered. Both PvP and PvE wise.
For PvP, they don't have a good hybrid option. Speccing hybrid tank DPS doesn't net you any actual survivability, while being pure tank nets you absolutely nothing in most matches aside from being slightly annoying. You still die as fast in the end.

In PvE, they have aggro holding issues. And no, I'm not undergeared, nor am I new to tanking. No need for any personal ratings in this, just general consensus. People who say "Juggernauts and Guardians OP" have probably been killed in PvP by the rage spec. And even then compared to Marauders, not as good.
BH compared to other classes is underpowered, yet BW nerf BH again and again,
in pvp, they r **** tank/dps,
in pve they r no match to judgement ,
they need to buff BH/trooper.
English is not my first language, still working on it.

MillionsKNives
11.28.2012 , 09:25 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
Are you in tank stance?
How much shield rating or % do you have?
How much Absorb rating or % do you have?
How much defense rating or % do you have?
Are you using items with the correct main stat?
When was the last time you visited a trainer?
Have you upgraded your hilt, barrel, armoring, mods, enhancements?
Are you using implants and earpieces?
Are you managing your resources correctly or as best as possible?
I'll add to this:

Are you specced into the correct tree?

Vandicus
11.28.2012 , 09:30 AM | #16

You're entirely correct that their aggro mechanics are not as effective as either classes(though fortunately this doesn't exactly make them dysfunctional, its perfectly possible to hold aggro for ops, mechanics as always are more likely an issue than simple aggro holding, especially if the rest of the team knows to use their aggro drops).

Many classes don't have good hybrid options in this game. While I agree straight tank can be boring in WZs, they do have a crucial role when it comes to protecting the healer and ball carrying in HB.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

CannotDeny
11.28.2012 , 06:29 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by oakamp View Post
BH compared to other classes is underpowered, yet BW nerf BH again and again,
in pvp, they r **** tank/dps,
in pve they r no match to judgement ,
they need to buff BH/trooper.
And yet, somehow, there's still that one Trooper/Bounty hunter that is able to:
Tracer/Grav round spam and get 350k+ damage in Warzones
Pop that nice little 20 second immunity to any interrupts and damage reduction as a healer, making them pretty much unkillable as they stand still and spam the same heal
I don't know, I find this really dysfunctional in the grand scheme of things.

Rafaman
11.28.2012 , 06:36 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
Are you in tank stance?
How much shield rating or % do you have?
How much Absorb rating or % do you have?
How much defense rating or % do you have?
Are you using items with the correct main stat?
When was the last time you visited a trainer?
Have you upgraded your hilt, barrel, armoring, mods, enhancements?
Are you using implants and earpieces?
Are you managing your resources correctly or as best as possible?
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
I'll add to this:

Are you specced into the correct tree?
And I'll add:

Are you playing your class? Using mitigation, avoidance, and CDs as appropriate?

Slurmez
11.28.2012 , 07:00 PM | #19
shields and to a slightly lesser extent, armour, are junk as they only mitigate weapon damage (white numbers) and not any other damage type like force and tech. Its a horrible system

Lord_of_Mu
11.28.2012 , 07:02 PM | #20

That's mostly because Guardians / Warriors are a little more clunky. We require more defensive stats than Vanguards and we're less effective on aoe trash packs.

The flip side is, we have better cooldowns and more mobility. It would be nice if we could get a talent in the defense tree that allows a portion of our primary stat to add accuracy.