Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Graphics Card

Tekell
11.27.2012 , 06:42 PM | #1
I am getting a new computer and it has a Radeon X1900 GT video card. I know nothing about this kind of stuff and I wanted to know if it would be able to play SWTOR well and on what settings? Also if it would be able to play Skyrim in HD?

monkgryphon
11.27.2012 , 06:44 PM | #2
Skyrim, heck no.

This game, BIG MAYBE with the lowest of settings. Everything Low, or Off.

That card is so old, and is discontinued from most retailers. It also doesn't support anything beyond Direct X 9

Tekell
11.27.2012 , 06:47 PM | #3
Then is there a card the could replace it that would be better?

monkgryphon
11.27.2012 , 06:50 PM | #4
If that is the card in your new setup, then I sincerely doubt a better graphics card will do much.

You most likely have a motherboard that has PCi-express 1.0, a 32bit, low end processor, just enough RAM for Windows, and a small power supply.

A better card in a PCi-express 1.0 slot will just get bottlenecked.

itsmymillertime
11.27.2012 , 06:50 PM | #5
this card came out in 2006 and is at the minimum spec for playing the game. In order to provide an upgrade option, we need to know the processor and RAM of this "new" computer". Also what power supply is installed as it may also require an upgrade.

Tekell
11.27.2012 , 07:20 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by itsmymillertime View Post
this card came out in 2006 and is at the minimum spec for playing the game. In order to provide an upgrade option, we need to know the processor and RAM of this "new" computer". Also what power supply is installed as it may also require an upgrade.
It is a computer that a family member is letting me have so I don't know all the specs but it was a custom built Asrock motherboard, 4 gigs of memory, dual core 5200 or close to it, 400 watt power i think, and a Radeon x1900 GT graphics card.

MilesTeg_cy
11.28.2012 , 03:03 AM | #7
That family member is giving his old stuff to you I guess. Is that going to be a gift from him? If so, gently thank him and buy yourself a decent machine if possible.

A more detailed info on the pieces would give us a better room for commenting. At least your mobo model. Definitely a better graphics card is needed.
All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. - Frank Herbert

itsmymillertime
11.28.2012 , 11:06 AM | #8
Install the game, set everything on low and hope it works. Based on the system specs, any upgrade you put into it will be worthless as the other components will bottleneck the new part you put in.

monkgryphon
11.28.2012 , 11:08 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by itsmymillertime View Post
Install the game, set everything on low and hope it works. Based on the system specs, any upgrade you put into it will be worthless as the other components will bottleneck the new part you put in.
That's what I am getting from that. Probably still uses Ribbon cables

Ujest
11.28.2012 , 11:32 AM | #10
Here are the tech specs on the video card http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...fications.aspx

That video card is really old tech, should do as recommended above and thank the gift giver, but no thanks. You can get a decent system with current tech for around 400 to 500 US Dollars at Target, BestBuy, Wallmart, Dell, or if you do serious research and comparison shopping then try NewEgg.com, (Recommended).

You also would not want to run the SW:TOR or other games off of an integrated video chip (built in to the mother board). Uses system ram as video memory and therefore normally slow and not the best graphics. Integrated audio is ok. As for a monitor LED is better than LCD which is better than CRT, but all three can be used and would provide acceptable video quality.

Recommended video card, nothing less than a AMD 6000 series. Recommend at least an AMD HD6870 or equivalent Nvidea card. Lessor cards will handle all current games, but a HD6870 or later is more current tech and will equal or exceed minimum spec for almost all games to come, for the next 2 or 3 years.

You would want at least 4 giga bytes (GB) of ram at least. However, 8 GB is better and recommend, especially if you are going to use an integrated video chip. You can squeeze by with 6 GB but 8 GB is better.
Ujest
Chis, Bounty Hunter,
The Lighter Side of the Dark Side
The Ebon Hawk (formerly Sanctum of the Exalted)