Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Best MMO?

paul_preib
11.27.2012 , 02:00 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgonKara View Post
I actually think LOTRO is the best MMO made, or at least it would be if the combat gameplay was better. I know WOW is the most popular but it has too many bad pop culture references and it's too cartoon-y to be taken seriously as a RPG. LOTRO does almost everything better except the combat, which unfortunately is a major setback. People gripe about responsiveness or whatever but SWTOR has the best combat of any MMO I've seen.
As the MMO I played for a year prior to SWTOR I do think rather fondly of Lotro, but I think post Mirkwood they really started losing themselves in terms of the best elements as Isengarde just lacked soul to me and the emphasis on the Turbine store that I felt was well handled initially finally reached breaking point.
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

MorgonKara
11.27.2012 , 02:10 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by paul_preib View Post
As the MMO I played for a year prior to SWTOR I do think rather fondly of Lotro, but I think post Mirkwood they really started losing themselves in terms of the best elements as Isengarde just lacked soul to me and the emphasis on the Turbine store that I felt was well handled initially finally reached breaking point.
It's true, but you could say the same about TOR and it isn't even a year old yet. The cartel store is sucking the soul out of TOR imho.

It's like Turbine held on to their principals for a long time and really believe in their product whereas Bioware caved before SWTOR even launched, basically.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

Jumajin
11.27.2012 , 02:10 PM | #23
As everyone has said, the answer is purely subjective. I'd actually like to thank all the responders so far (honestly). I really expected a major flame-fest to have started by now.

That said, the games that hold my current interest are:

World of Warcraft
Star Wars: The Old Republic
DC Universe Online

Why? Well, there's really no benefit to answering that. WoW offers a free trial to level 20 as a taste, you obviously play SWTOR, and DCUO has a F2P model as well. Take any of them for a test run. See what strikes you and what doesn't.

Nemhauser
11.27.2012 , 02:15 PM | #24
I've tried GW2 and played it for a week, but I got pretty bored with it. Mainly because the story was not interesting and I didn't feel anything for my character. It was just an empty shell which I used to kill stuff. SWTOR's characters have personality, I like that.

skiibyrd
11.27.2012 , 03:50 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgonKara View Post
It's true, but you could say the same about TOR and it isn't even a year old yet. The cartel store is sucking the soul out of TOR imho.

It's like Turbine held on to their principals for a long time and really believe in their product whereas Bioware caved before SWTOR even launched, basically.
I personally feel the opposite about the Cartel market, since its been added, I look forward to aquiring the exciting new cosmetic content they have released, and plan to release in the future. The only complaint I have at this time would be that all content in the cartel market should be items subscribers can aquire in-game, without buying off the marketplace or people WTS... like everything else was up to that point, and the items that can be crafted, especially color crystals, should have schamtics for crafting (this would of added a nice benefit for artifice on my main finally).

Apocalypsezero
11.27.2012 , 04:23 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by skiibyrd View Post
SWTOR was my first MMO (other than City of Villians that i played for a couple days when i was younger), and I found that MMO's are my personal genre of choice (With RPG's closely behind). I've been playing it since launch, and haven't really played any other game since I began (I consider myself a HC gamer, and usually stuck to MMO's and console gaming other than the occasion SC2 venture). I have purchased wow, with all expansions (Minus the new MOP expanion) and have it installed, and have the Rift demo, Runes of Magic, and Guild Wars 2 purchased/Installed, and have heard of, but never pursued others such as D&D, LOTRO, STO, EVE, and World of Tanks, City of Heros/Villians, Conan Online, runescape, and Champions online... but havent played any of them yet because I play SWTOR still. I have created toons on all these games, but havent acutally played them at all, but at any time I could jump on and begin.

Basically what I'm looking for is either, what makes this game stand out above all its other peers, or, if there are better MMO's than SWTOR, what makes specifically makes great in your opinion that SWTOR would benefit from.. I think SWTOR is an amazing game, and have heard its current #2 number of subscribers, but since I'm new to this genre I don't have any other MMO's to compare it to.
How good an MMO is really just based on your own personal opinion. For me I switch between several. Swtor, WoW, EVE, and The Secret World. And when I'm feeling real nostalgic Ill fire up a MUD client and play Medievia. All have their good points and their bad points but it comes down to how you feel about the game.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
MMO General Forums, Proof of the Need for Eugenics.

Gomla
11.27.2012 , 06:05 PM | #27
It's all down to personal preference.

I enjoy sw:tor but not enough to stick around full time. I play for a month or two and then go do other things for a few months and look back to see if anythings changed.

The last game I poured myself into properly was DAoC and, so far, nothing has come remotely close to giving me the enjoyment I had in that game.

TSW is a decent game, GW2 is okay in small doses, this is okay in small doses and Rift is okay in small doses.

To be fair though, I think it's more down to me being burnt out from MMO's.

As for being the "best" MMO. That, as I said, is down to personal preference. Some absolutely love this game, others hate it and the rest of us are indifferent. We're the ones that think the game is okay but could be better.

It's not a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination but nor is it perfect. It still needs a lot of work but MMO's never stop growing and, in time, it will right itself.

Do "I" think it's the "best".... I have no opinion on that. I've played better MMO's over the years but they were better for different reasons. I love PvP so DAoC was like a home away from home. The PvP in sw:tor is average at best.

It has a lot going for it but you are better served making your own mind up than listening to the forums.

paul_preib
11.28.2012 , 03:21 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by skiibyrd View Post
I personally feel the opposite about the Cartel market, since its been added, I look forward to aquiring the exciting new cosmetic content they have released, and plan to release in the future. The only complaint I have at this time would be that all content in the cartel market should be items subscribers can aquire in-game, without buying off the marketplace or people WTS... like everything else was up to that point, and the items that can be crafted, especially color crystals, should have schamtics for crafting (this would of added a nice benefit for artifice on my main finally).
I have to agree, right now I feel no intrusion as a subscriber- no items that I must acquire to benefit.my experience in the way stat tomes, LI item removal, etc. Feel almost mandatory.

I don't mind shelling out extra coin for some cosmetic that catches my eye, it's the things that impact how your character performs that really turn me off
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

Ungodlyomen
11.28.2012 , 03:23 AM | #29
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOL

Omg I spit up some coffee. No Not even close to the best.

Good joke though.
http://www.swtor.com/r/DBHWc9 <--- CLICK HERE FOR FREE STUFF
Friends package (bag space,crew slot,unify colors,titles,and 7 free days!)
Don't Miss out on the Free Transfer (AMAZING 18 Dollar Value)
Was Able to go 1 - 50 in under 7 days - 11 hrs and 5 mins. With 12x Story EXP!

Vis-Tecum
11.28.2012 , 04:54 AM | #30
for me yes it is hands down the best mmo ever

but I hate most other mmos and grouping with random people and love story driven games and cutscenes that was why I was so excited for a bioware mmo, unlike all the sheep that jumped on the hype train but didnt want anything that bioware was known for in a mmo and now constantly complain about single player story and voice acting in their mmo

the idea for swtor is perfect for me, the execution I admit leaves alot to be desired.

next up give me a lucas arts style adverture game mmo with no combat, i would play hours upon hours and love every minute while the mmo masses flame messagebords that it is ruining the genre... lol
Just go riding right by me on the crest of the new wave