Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Best MMO?

skiibyrd
11.27.2012 , 10:48 AM | #1
SWTOR was my first MMO (other than City of Villians that i played for a couple days when i was younger), and I found that MMO's are my personal genre of choice (With RPG's closely behind). I've been playing it since launch, and haven't really played any other game since I began (I consider myself a HC gamer, and usually stuck to MMO's and console gaming other than the occasion SC2 venture). I have purchased wow, with all expansions (Minus the new MOP expanion) and have it installed, and have the Rift demo, Runes of Magic, and Guild Wars 2 purchased/Installed, and have heard of, but never pursued others such as D&D, LOTRO, STO, EVE, and World of Tanks, City of Heros/Villians, Conan Online, runescape, and Champions online... but havent played any of them yet because I play SWTOR still. I have created toons on all these games, but havent acutally played them at all, but at any time I could jump on and begin.

Basically what I'm looking for is either, what makes this game stand out above all its other peers, or, if there are better MMO's than SWTOR, what makes specifically makes great in your opinion that SWTOR would benefit from.. I think SWTOR is an amazing game, and have heard its current #2 number of subscribers, but since I'm new to this genre I don't have any other MMO's to compare it to.

DarthWoad
11.27.2012 , 10:50 AM | #2
I dont think we're allowed to talk about other MMOs in this forum :/ Youll get a note saying "please keep discussions related to the old republic" or something

skiibyrd
11.27.2012 , 11:31 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWoad View Post
I dont think we're allowed to talk about other MMOs in this forum :/ Youll get a note saying "please keep discussions related to the old republic" or something
Well I haven't gotten one yet, and this thread is specifically about SWTOR Vs. is peers.

Galbatorrix
11.27.2012 , 11:33 AM | #4
Some MMOs do certain things better, but SWTOR has most of the basics covered and it's solo questing is way better than it's competition.

skiibyrd
11.27.2012 , 11:56 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
Some MMOs do certain things better, but SWTOR has most of the basics covered and it's solo questing is way better than it's competition.
Thats one of the things that I've heard though, SWTOR has the BASICS covered, I mean, you level, you fight, and you gear, MAYBE do the occasional space mission, but nothing else. From what I've gathered other MMO's are offering quite a bit to do, for example, you can fish in rift... in GW2 you can play mini games like a soccar type game in the towns against other players, something that I feel SWTOR would greatly benefit from.

Eillack
11.27.2012 , 12:15 PM | #6
Some of the best, and ligit stories I've seen in years in TOR. Imperial Agent and Trooper...just amazing.

I played SWG for 3+ years and still to this day I try to understand what story there was supposed to be ohter than "Imperials bad, Rebels good! Shoot them! Oh my some random thing is happening, shoot them!"

For Star Trek Online, I've been there since Beta/Headstart - Preorder...they had a good story until JJ made his money and the story had to be scrapped and the cheap cut and paste and glitter was added instead. STO is just insanely boring after 3 years.

WoW...only played on a family member's account for a few days...couldn't even deal with the stupidity of that game to even look for waht the story was there haha.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

monkgryphon
11.27.2012 , 12:22 PM | #7
I think it's all perception and subjective to each person. Some people define Best as being the one with the most subscribers/players. Some will say small ones are the best, because they offer unique experiences.

TheNahash
11.27.2012 , 12:28 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by skiibyrd View Post
in GW2 you can play mini games like a soccar type game in the towns against other players, something that I feel SWTOR would greatly benefit from.
I know you're probably referring to mini-games in general, but it's funny you mentioned soccer, since Swtor actually does have it's own version of sports game/soccer (or, more specifically, handball), Huttball

Urael
11.27.2012 , 12:34 PM | #9
SWTOR is an good "training" MMORPG. You can learn the basics here. Once you have them down, it's prolly best to move on to another more challenging MMORPG and just play SWTOR when you want to relax.

RichT
11.27.2012 , 12:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by skiibyrd View Post
Thats one of the things that I've heard though, SWTOR has the BASICS covered, I mean, you level, you fight, and you gear, MAYBE do the occasional space mission, but nothing else. From what I've gathered other MMO's are offering quite a bit to do, for example, you can fish in rift... in GW2 you can play mini games like a soccar type game in the towns against other players, something that I feel SWTOR would greatly benefit from.

Thats a valid criticism IMO.

in kotor you had swoop racing and pazaak, I honestly cannot understand why these werent included as minigames. Personally I'd find it fun to have a reason to sit in a cantina and play cards. Swoop races would be really fun as well.These could have been implemented as like an ingame Nascar type thing with players competing against each other for rankings and fame.

Definitely a couple missed opportunities, which absolutely boggle me that they could have been forgotten about.

I sure hope they dont decide to offer us fishing and leave these off the table. I had years upon years to fish till Im blue in the face with Everquest and WoW, I dont want that.