Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

MMORPG column on SWTOR F2P

Paskem
11.27.2012 , 10:24 AM | #1
Devils advocate view of F2P option in SWTOR.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...f-Freedom.html

As a paying customer I have with what has been said.
I will not play as F2P. When time soon comes, I will simply stop paying and thank EA on good time so far.

Having some restrictions and some "bling bling" stuff is all well in my book.
But when you hinder my UI, customer support, ability to use items ( orange / purple ), thats when you have taken one step too far .

I am trully sad. Because I see many people on any planet I go to these last few days.
But as F2P get fed up - Im afraid we will see numbers fall once again.

mefit
11.27.2012 , 10:35 AM | #2
Another F2P thread...................
Look play it or don't
1million plus in subs will not be hurting if all the F2P suddenly jumped up and left .
UI is unlockable Via Cashshop , if that is not a reason to invest in it , seriously nothing will be.

If all the F2P left and some subs or even a large amount EA will likely Merge the Servers down again , which will be like you and the F2P players were never here and people will go on like so.

But seeing how the forums are full of "THIS IS UNFAIR" "Need this , Want that" "F2P this , F2P that" , it is likely those same people will stay and just complain to the bitter end contributing nothing Money wise to the game like they intended from the getgo !
5Dollars takes away UI most restrictions..............can't afford that or refuse ............well maybe you should not be on the internet !
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Scourn
11.27.2012 , 10:38 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
Another F2P thread...................
Look play it or don't
1million plus in subs will not be hurting if all the F2P suddenly jumped up and left .
UI is unlockable Via Cashshop , if that is not a reason to invest in it , seriously nothing will be.

If all the F2P left and some subs or even a large amount EA will likely Merge the Servers down again , which will be like you and the F2P players were never here and people will go on like so.

But seeing how the forums are full of "THIS IS UNFAIR" "Need this , Want that" "F2P this , F2P that" , it is likely those same people will stay and just complain to the bitter end contributing nothing Money wise to the game like they intended from the getgo !
5Dollars takes away UI most restrictions..............can't afford that or refuse ............well maybe you should not be on the internet !
lmfao 1 mil plus in subs ? show us where you get this info and please do not use mmorpg.com because they are clueless and wouldnt know either . I havent seen a 1.2 mil sub fake post from Failware here in well over 6 months. If you seriously think this game has 1.2 million subs you need your head checked. Companies dont go free to play with a revenue of 15 mil a month sorry......

mefit
11.27.2012 , 10:45 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Scourn View Post
lmfao 1 mil plus in subs ? show us where you get this info and please do not use mmorpg.com because they are clueless and wouldnt know either . I havent seen a 1.2 mil sub fake post from Failware here in well over 6 months. If you seriously think this game has 1.2 million subs you need your head checked. Companies dont go free to play with a revenue of 15 mil a month sorry......
What are you talking about ?
If you owned a Buisness you are never set on a standard of numbers, you look into ways of getting people to look further into your game hence .................Trial and F2P.

Let me let you into something you seem not to understand,.
There is right now over hundreds of MMOs out right now live and going.
Each MMO other than WoW is hurting in Subs but are able to maintain service .
But the market is just too small for the Amount of MMOs out , so most of them are going F2P model to get you to join up and invest into their game . None of these games are hoping you will come in and buy nothing.

So keep living in fantasy land , reality is not your thing. Companies like EA , Blizzard , PerfectWorld , NcSoft.........etc are all FOR PROFIT Companies . PERIOD .

EDIT: There are games like Champions Online with the same Whining and Crying as this game right now and still able to pay its dues off the smaller number of Sub payers and F2P player WHO INVEST in the game . But Has a crap load of Players who pay nothing at all who cry day in and out on how ITS ALL REALLY UNFAIR this and that......................
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Scourn
11.27.2012 , 10:59 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
What are you talking about ?
If you owned a Buisness you are never set on a standard of numbers, you look into ways of getting people to look further into your game hence .................Trial and F2P.

Let me let you into something you seem not to understand,.
There is right now over hundreds of MMOs out right now live and going.
Each MMO other than WoW is hurting in Subs but are able to maintain service .
But the market is just too small for the Amount of MMOs out , so most of them are going F2P model to get you to join up and invest into their game . None of these games are hoping you will come in and buy nothing.

So keep living in fantasy land , reality is not your thing. Companies like EA , Blizzard , PerfectWorld , NcSoft.........etc are all FOR PROFIT Companies . PERIOD .

EDIT: There are games like Champions Online with the same Whining and Crying as this game right now and still able to pay its dues off the smaller number of Sub payers and F2P player WHO INVEST in the game . But Has a crap load of Players who pay nothing at all who cry day in and out on how ITS ALL REALLY UNFAIR this and that......................
You can go into your business 1-0-1 lesson all you want i asked you to produce the 1.2 mil subs that you are throwing around there. You cant....period.... I agree with you on restrictions for free loader players but this game went free to play because its a flop of a game and that isnt going to change unless they add about 2 more years worth of content and stop breaking things every single patch. You got poor guys for multi patch cycles with crashes to desktop and its still not fixed or barely addressed . Customer service is worse than india based CS for someone like Dell or HP and you have a lead designer who is so damn out of touch with reality of mmo players its not even funny. Like I said show me this game has 1.2 mil subs right now because there is no way in hell it does and probably never did the way these servers crashed and burned for the first 6 months of this games life. This sinking ship is taking the place of AOC and Warhammer Online for worst flop in history regardless of what the VERY VOCAL minority like yourself think

Temad
11.27.2012 , 11:14 AM | #6
Quote:
Do you work for Bioware because you are so delusional as only someone from Bioware could be....

1 million subs? If you think there are anymore than 150K or so you are smoking the good stuff.

F2P should not, under any circumstance be used to try and get people to sub to a game that BIOWARE THEMSELVES said "Most customers do not feel 15 bucks a month is worth it."

It should be a robust full play experiece that encourages F2Pers to want to spend cash to replace subscribers.

Bioware/EA's business model for F2P is an unmitigated disaster about to happen.

This game is in serious, serious trouble and you don't have to look past the last EA Quarterly Report to see it.

Wow, I am stunned that people continue to ignore the reality of what has happened to SWTOR in under a year.
This is my signature.

islander
11.27.2012 , 11:16 AM | #7
The article I find to be really accurate.
I honestly feel the F2P model is a bit too restrictive to keep F2Pers around long.
This isn't going to help the long term population prospects of the game, F2P or sub.

Although I like the idea of preferred status being an option for those who just sub for a month. That's pretty creative.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Paskem
11.27.2012 , 11:28 AM | #8
Right now its - be a sub or just give up.

F2P playerbase are NOT freeloaders, like some of you "elitist" think.

Hell I spent more money on F2P titles like LOL then most MMOS ( WOW not included ofc ).

Yes some restrictions should be made, like 5 dunegons and 5 BGs a week. Thats just fine. But everything else is pure Bulls*it. From XP to dreded hotbars and chars slots - etc.

Play it or dont mentality is fine for WOW or EVE or games that are generally on good player base. SWTOR needs F2P players, even if they sub after a 3 month period or just buy one axe from cash shop. Its all revenue.

Right now its stock full of returning players that shelled out for "gratis" Cartel coins and wanted to go F2P, pay some extra $ to get some fluff and from that moment on pay when something cool comes into cash shop.

Like new cool looking modable chest. That you cant use as F2P player unless you buy unlock as well.

Im afraid we will see massive pop drop once subs from returning players go down. Because the game as F2P as barely playable right now. They had their chance of resurrecting an already dead game. Im afraid they blew it unless something changes ASAP.

islander
11.27.2012 , 11:30 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Paskem View Post
Right now its - be a sub or just give up.

Im afraid we will see massive pop drop once subs from returning players go down. Because the game as F2P as barely playable right now. They had their chance of resurrecting an already dead game. Im afraid they blew it unless something changes ASAP.
I concur, unfortunately.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Lord_Karsk
11.27.2012 , 11:39 AM | #10
He is correct on all things but this one is so plain braindead and dumb it's hard to belive BW/EA could
do this to the F2P players.They just dont get it,when they are to greedy they will lose customers.

Quote:
In a decent free-to-play game, you do not lock the rewards for quests behind a subscription requirement. While this is debatable with dungeon and raid rewards, if someone worked their butt off to earn a bloody quest reward, he should have access to it. If you lock a player out of a reward, then hide it behind a US$15 paywall, you have failed consumers.
Quote:
In a decent free-to-play game, you do not hinder the base mechanic that allows a person to play. You can make him look fugly by not giving him the option to remove his headgear. You can make fast travel a pain in the rear. You can even hinder his ability to craft behind the pay-wall. You can do all that, and someone will grudgingly pay you for the chance to lift those restrictions. If you, by some stroke of demonic discord, decide to lock a player's ability to place his skills on a skill bar by limiting the number of skill bars he can use behind a pay-wall, you have... actually, it's obvious that you're greedier than a Ferengi on Deep Space Nine... and that's not even a gods-be-damned Star Wars reference.