Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BioWare: Change the final fight please (major spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
BioWare: Change the final fight please (major spoilers)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

01.09.2012 , 03:06 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisSchmidt View Post
Hey folks!

If you are unable to solo this fight, please give us a bit more information as requested below:

Thanks for your help!
Did I read this right that this is meant to be calibrated WITHOUT LOS tricks?

I'm a combat sentinel. There's no way in the Galaxy I could solo this quest. Nowhere else in the game did I feel like a terrible sentinel; my results in flashpoints and soloing are quire good.

Ok, interrupts. I have two versus above-normal mobs:

1. Force Kick
2. Force Stasis

The latter has a 1-minute cooldown and can only be used once per fight. (A minute versus the emperor and I am dead.)

With good playing versus other bosses, I get three interrupts before waiting for Force Kick's full CD.

1. Force Kick
2. Force Stasis
3. Force Kick again

Now it's the entire duration of Force Kick's CD that I take damage. I cannot survive that long against the emperor, even dodging his AOE with the floor icon. His normal lightning bolt 3-shots me.

To add to this, I cannot keep the emperor targetted for interrupts during the clones phase. There are now 5 emperors.

If Force Sweep worked, that is my usual AOE interrupt if many trash are casting spells. Since it does not work on the clones, there goes that idea.

The only other thing I can think of is that aoe which causes mobs to hold their heads and their eyes to glow; can't recall the name offline. While it prevents attacks, I have never seen it INTERRUPT any, and in any case, at a 1-minute CD, it would only be good for one batch of clones.

So what is the proposed method to interrupt all of the emperor's casts AND 5 clones at the same time? I can take the clones out as fast as the GCD will allow, and that means they get a minimum of one spell off. Usually the last clone and the emperor both hit me.

In the end, I took a group of three. The fight was horrifically anticlimactic, because while the emperor's damage 3-shots me, apparently his HP are calibrated to a single-player fight. (I had gotten him to 50% before.) Easy mode with a group.

The trash, though? The trash took us FOREVER. Granted, we had a group of 3, so we got enemy "reinforcements" without a full four.

But here's the thing; even single player, the trash took FOREVER. And I had geared T7 because I read about this in advance and I knew I could take nobody else. T7 is in all blue gear. He died every second-to-third pull. Do I just suck? (I don't suck with Doc or a geared Kira or even Rusk...but hey, what do I know. Maybe I do suck.)

So there's this chest of gear that's supposed to gear T7 for help with the fight. Awesome.

Except you have to fight TONS of trash just to reach it.

My group helped me solve the puzzle...they're troopers (not the class) and they were curious. So we did it. Heard the music, saw the alter move or whatever it does. The chest had clickable sides but could not be looted.

Wouldn't you think this would be one of the most important game areas to get RIGHT?

None of that, the chest bug, the emperor's calibration, etc. NONE of it makes up for trying to fight waves of trash with T7.

If "interrupts" are the way to beat this fight, I have given you all of my interrupt options and the relative damage I take for the abilities I can't interrupt. It is not possible without LOS play. Nobody has yet posted a non-LOS strategy except for "burn the boss", which may be possible in Guardian armor and health. It wasn't for me.

Darth Angral took me four tries. That was way more fun.

I didn't see this half at first:

Yes I did. What different did it make? Were we supposed to be able to use that one instead of T7? I got no such option. Nor did anyone else.

As an additional bug (if there weren't enough)...

All in all, that's not bad considering the rest of this. As someone who beat it, had fun taking a group to do so and didn't even spend much on repair bills, I have to add to the crowd:

Nothing about the fight was fun or "challenging" in the traditional sense of overcoming beatable odds. "Impossible" and "broken" are the only words I can use, and I'm a pretty fair-minded near-fanboy not just of SWTOR but even of my class/spec.

My 2 credits. Enjoy.

TLDR? Emperor fight sucks, took a group to beat it, I love everything else about the game (including my class/spec).
"There arises from a bad and unapt formation of words a wonderful obstruction of the mind." --Sir Francis Bacon
"y do u care how i rite or spell?" --Average gamer.
"F****** grammer nazi's!" --Actual player, 1/12/12

01.09.2012 , 03:27 PM | #222
I killd him solo today as focus specced.

Dont ask me how, It was messy, but interupt his abilitys is the way to beat him i think.
Jedi Knight
Yamiira / Zolo
"My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."

01.09.2012 , 04:28 PM | #223
I haven't reached this part yet, still a lowly lvl 46 sentinel, but iirc, force jump works as an interupt as well. I've noticed when fighting some bosses that force jumping on the (I'm watchman specced with the skill that allows force jump at 0 meters) interupts moves. Not sure if it works on the emperor but it would be interesting to know since it would give you another interupt. Also, theres a skill on the watchman tree that reduces the CD on force kick and force stasis by 2 secs and 15 sec respectively once that skill is maxed on the tree. Might be an option for the watchman specced sentinels.

01.09.2012 , 04:39 PM | #224
Lomerell --

Force leap is an interupt as well, and easy to use on abilities with long cast times.

01.09.2012 , 04:55 PM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakks View Post
Lomerell --

Force leap is an interupt as well, and easy to use on abilities with long cast times.
Not as easy when you're a Sentinel and don't have force push, since you have to run 11m away from the mob, then leap back.

01.09.2012 , 05:37 PM | #226
Just want to provide some counter feedback. I avoided this thread until I hit the final fight, and after my first go around ended with only having done maybe 15% hp worth of damage, I looked around briefly online.

Number one tip that helped me: Ignore the clones. I believe the time I won (three tries) I used call on the force mid fight. Not so much for saberward as for the healing on T7. Could be wrong and I burnt it on the previous try.

Anyways, I walked up to the emperor's throne, hit him with a zealous strike. He jumped to the middle of the room and spawned clones, I leaped to him. After that, I just poured on DPS until he died. T7 actually survived the entire fight that round, which surprised me since he evaporated the first go around.

Class: Focus Sentinel, 2 pieces of Champion gear, rest around 50 modded or blue/purple
T7 Gear: about 2/3s of the companion rewards from Corellia, some lower level parts (motors, one core, maybe around L20).

Oh, and I saved my companion.

I was very fortunate to group with a 50 knight on Corellia who warned me T7 was my only companion option on the final fight, so I intentionally chose his gear rewards on Corellia.

01.09.2012 , 05:41 PM | #227
Matter of a fact is that you can't do it as defence spec its impossible, I had a sentinel come with me and he just nuked the boss down by the 2nd load of adds while I just tanked him its a joke, you cannot solo as defence I don't care if someone comes in and say you done it as any other spec except defence you dont pull enough damage on the boss I got him to 10khp before I died taking stims, health potion and my cds. The fact is you need a healer to do this and T7 is no healer just a beeping noise who annoys you.

Unless ofc you outgear the damn thing and the boss hits you for 200hp.

Also I'am no noob I soloed all bosses np except for the one on belsavis as he is tanked by adds :P

01.09.2012 , 06:00 PM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by _Ilucide_ View Post
Not as easy when you're a Sentinel and don't have force push, since you have to run 11m away from the mob, then leap back.
There's a skill in the watchman tree that reduces the jump range to 0m...

01.09.2012 , 06:07 PM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by AnthonyLeo View Post
There's a skill in the watchman tree that reduces the jump range to 0m...
Yes there is, though it's not necessarily a good balance point to require a 2 point talent that's 15 points deep in a specific tree for a fight.

01.09.2012 , 06:17 PM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by Hegbork View Post
Ok. That's the first wave of adds. What about the next two-three waves? Awe has a too long cooldown to be usable more than once. I guess I could kite the emperor around a pillar until awe comes off cooldown, but is avoiding the fight for a few minutes really the intended mechanic? This is all assuming that they spawn close enough to each other, which they don't.

I can't interrupt the boss often enough even with three different interrupts because only one of them is on a short cooldown and the boss chain casts spells that take down 20-40% of my health every 5 seconds. Even if I managed to interrupt everything his channeled spell (don't remember the name, but it's the channeled lightning that snares) takes 5-10% of my health on the first tick before I can interrupt. This means that if all the adds decide to start casting that spell at the same time they eat half of my health within a second from spawning before I could even use awe (never seen all of them do it, but I've seen 3 at the same time).

Cyclone strike does nothing to the adds. I've wiped 3 times to test this, they are immune to cyclone strike.

Using LoS behind pillars kind of works when the adds spawn just right, when they don't I can LoS three of them while the other two just snare and nuke me to death.

I will keep trying today because I have a few more strategies to try, but anyone saying that he can be taken down with normal interrupts or cyclone strike or line of sight exploits is obviously talking about a different fight than I see.
Set 1 Awe
Set 2 AoE taunt/Saber Ward T7 AoE attack (This will kill 3-4 of the adds) knock down the leftovers go back to the boss.
Set 3 Awe