Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[Artifice] And now Artifice has been reduced to...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Artifice] And now Artifice has been reduced to...

Malkavier's Avatar


Malkavier
11.26.2012 , 08:55 AM | #1
Nothing but a source of Enhancements and Saber Hilts, with extremely few people willing to actually purchase top-tier enhancements or hilts, when they can just get them for free from unwanted raid gear.

With the release of the Cartel Shop, EAWare have now essentially killed and buried the Artifice profession by putting in crystals with the best stats, able to be used at level 10.

Even the more previously rare crystals like Cyan and Magenta have rapidly dropped in price to the point where their schematics seem to cost as much as or more than the actual crystal. In fact, the materials needed to make those particular crystals, now cost more than you are able to sell them for.

Moddable Offhands? Tons of them now available everywhere BUT on Artifice. Making the Artifice ones worthless with their non-fixable inferior stats.

So now we have two mostly useless in-game professions: Artifice and Armstech. At least Synthweaving has a point now with being able to craft high-end augments.
L50 Annhi Marauder L50 Madness Sorc L17 Gunslinger L23 Pyro Tech L35 Medic OP L17 Marks Sniper L50 Lethality Sniper

"Your fear angers me. My anger feeds my hate. My hate gives me strength."

Alec_Fortescue's Avatar


Alec_Fortescue
11.26.2012 , 11:30 AM | #2
Dude, stop with the poppycock. Extremely low number of people willing to purchase end-game equipment? I made 40+ million in the past month on one Resolve Hilt 27. I am also making tons of credits on enhancements. My advice? Don't use a profession you have no clue how to profit from. I got c-tech alt with lots of mods and armorings but artifice is still my main profession.

You said they killed artifice by releasing cartel crystals in the recent patch? Are you serious? Crystal trade was dead and not profitable since 1.2. They killed off-hand crafting by making shields/foci moddable? Like if they brought any profits. Hah.

Those CC crystals with the best stats cost lots in real money.
Atris' robes are great. But how about letting players wear the robes that are already in the game but not accessible to them?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

MonkeyCannon's Avatar


MonkeyCannon
11.26.2012 , 02:02 PM | #3
Agree with Alex and my first toon ever is an artificer.

If you can't learn to overcome your struggles, then drop artifice for a gathering skill and sell the mats and make money that way.

Alec_Fortescue's Avatar


Alec_Fortescue
11.27.2012 , 03:22 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeyCannon View Post
Agree with Alex and my first toon ever is an artificer.

If you can't learn to overcome your struggles, then drop artifice for a gathering skill and sell the mats and make money that way.
But it's still gonna be nothing compared to what Artifice can get you!
Atris' robes are great. But how about letting players wear the robes that are already in the game but not accessible to them?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

JediKalel's Avatar


JediKalel
11.27.2012 , 03:30 AM | #5
Artifice is definitely not dead... plenty of money to be made off enhancements / hilts as was mentioned above... however synthweaving is pretty much junk except for making augments which really dont make much money anyway compared to the millions you can rake in from artifice or cybertech.

lklinga's Avatar


lklinga
11.27.2012 , 06:21 AM | #6
My level 25 Synthweaver is making a 200k every gaming session I log on him for about 5 minutes of active effort.
I am making one low level item that sells like crazy I know it is not millions but almost no effort.
It is always about finding market niche.

Cleet_Xia's Avatar


Cleet_Xia
11.27.2012 , 01:28 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by lklinga View Post
My level 25 Synthweaver is making a 200k every gaming session I log on him for about 5 minutes of active effort.
I am making one low level item that sells like crazy I know it is not millions but almost no effort.
It is always about finding market niche.
I'm doing exactly the same with my artificer, I've ended up buying extra GTN slots. If you're not making money ~ it's because you're trying to sell gear that outlevels the throng of F2P people right now. I'm selling everthing for more credits than it used to bring.

As for those color crystals on the cartel market -- you realize that they cost 9 bucks if you bought just enough coin to get 1 and $6.54 if you bought the biggest pack of coins. ~ and they only come in 1 color. They've got the same stat as any other engame rock ~ and none of those ever sell for what they cost in mats to make, except for the magenta crystals.

The white & pink/purple rocks don't drop with enough frequency to have any impact on the artifice market.

Modable offhands probqably had a bigger impact on artifice - but those still include 2 mods that artifice makes.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

finelinebob's Avatar


finelinebob
11.27.2012 , 03:43 PM | #8
Well, hopefully BioWare will stay away from Pay2Win items in the store, but putting stuff in the store that screws the typical crafter? You kidding me? On one hand, they have player's interests; on the other, they have profits for nerfing skills that were crippled to begin with. Which do you think they will choose?

This sort of thing is precisely why we won't see any sort of revamp of Crew Skills or crafting. Other than end-game gear, leveling gear has always been an issue of vanity because what we could craft was never essential to leveling. We did not see any improvements to the state of crafting prior to F2P and now that BW/EA realizes they can make more money off of selling "leveling" gear than allowing us to craft it ourselves, there's even less of a chance than crafting anything other than end-game gear will ever really be put to rights.
Jedi Guardian JonBonJovi'wan
"Wanted: Dead or Alive"
Defenders of Monkeys - Prophecy of the Five
DatacronHunter's Video Guides to Datacrons | Datacron Spreadsheet

MonkeyCannon's Avatar


MonkeyCannon
11.27.2012 , 05:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by finelinebob View Post
Well, hopefully BioWare will stay away from Pay2Win items in the store, but putting stuff in the store that screws the typical crafter? You kidding me? On one hand, they have player's interests; on the other, they have profits for nerfing skills that were crippled to begin with. Which do you think they will choose?

This sort of thing is precisely why we won't see any sort of revamp of Crew Skills or crafting. Other than end-game gear, leveling gear has always been an issue of vanity because what we could craft was never essential to leveling. We did not see any improvements to the state of crafting prior to F2P and now that BW/EA realizes they can make more money off of selling "leveling" gear than allowing us to craft it ourselves, there's even less of a chance than crafting anything other than end-game gear will ever really be put to rights.
I have toons with all the crafting professions and I do not notice any of my toons getting poor. It's true that leveling gear has been a flaky choice to make money off of, but there are still some niches like belts, bracers, and headgear with the appropriate stat combos that ppl are still willing to buy at levels under 20. BW is not forcing anyone to buy the leveling gear. And the leveling gear costs real money as opposed to our crafted gear. Also, cartel gear is only good for levels 15-20, 31-34, and 43-46 so there is a lot of gear outside those levels that can be crafted and sold. The real dent is in levels 31-34 where there are 5 piece armor sets to buy. In the other levels, a person must buy around 5 of the same piece of gear and pull the mods out of it and into their moddable gear if they have some. Some people will only do this once but not again after seeing how expensive it is. If they're stupid enough to continue doing that, then good for us bc the game will keep going. But no one gets that armor for free so you can still sell your stuff.

As far as revamps go, I'm not too sure it's necessary. I almost always prefer crafted gear over loot on my toons while leveling because crafted gear has better control about what stat appears on gear. I like seeing Overkill __ and Vehemence __.

Keep in mind, if anyone is not a completely f2p player, then they are a p2w player. But nothing outside of subscriber gets much p2w stuff.

finelinebob's Avatar


finelinebob
11.27.2012 , 05:48 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeyCannon View Post
I have toons with all the crafting professions and I do not notice any of my toons getting poor. It's true that leveling gear has been a flaky choice to make money off of, but there are still some niches like ....
Exactly. Crafting fills niches, not needs.

Sorry, but I've been spoiled by a game I played for more than seven years where crafting, for most of that time, filled player needs. Am I wrong to expect the same from a supposedly AAA MMO like SWTOR?
Jedi Guardian JonBonJovi'wan
"Wanted: Dead or Alive"
Defenders of Monkeys - Prophecy of the Five
DatacronHunter's Video Guides to Datacrons | Datacron Spreadsheet