Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Eurogamer re-reviews SWTOR


Cold-Fusion's Avatar


Cold-Fusion
11.26.2012 , 07:11 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ProsaicProse View Post
Was that supposed to be a review? It read more like a biased rant from an angry player who likes to troll.
Quote: Originally Posted by shammancz View Post
it is actually a review from a player who was here on launch and came back after a year to see no difference at all
First off hes not an irked player or a troll he's actually a professional games journalist....

http://www.richardcobbett.com/

Although its a fairly damning review there is certainly truth in what he says and I have to agree on many of his points.

If Bioware and EA what to make this Free to Play model sucessful then they need to rethink some of the restrictions, instead of allowing people play the game, enjoy the game and pay for what they want. It feels like walking down a High Street full of Charity Reps stopping you every two feet and asking you to buy a subscription to help Polar Bears in Africa otherwise they won't let you back to the office for lunch.

Rather than focus on encouraging players to buy things in the store, they are focusing on encouraging players to buy subscriptions, which is part of the reason they are in the difficulties they are in now. SWTOR won't die as Richard puts it but its development and eventually potential could be limited even further by the way this whole thing pans out.

Although I appreciate subscribers vocal support of thier game I think the sheer swell of ill feeling towards the F2P model should not be idly dismissed as they seem to be. I firmly believe how Bioware reacts to these feelings could have a dramatic effect on the game in comming years.

Varium's Avatar


Varium
11.26.2012 , 07:12 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by shammancz View Post
Iam on RP server as ive missclicked while transfering chars from old and canceled Lord Calypo (thats my fault indeed) and trust me ... you dont need anyone to finish the game. Yea i said finish, since on level 50 you are done, finito, ende, fin, game over, unless you are hadcore carebear and find a pleasure in everydays grinding - so honestly called Blackhole or Section X, the Operations are indeed fine ... once or twice, not all the time and as for PVP ... well, here ill stop since expresssing my thoughts about PVP system needs a lot of mean words.
You can do that with any modern MMO. With WoW and Gw2 also.
50 V Legacy

shammancz's Avatar


shammancz
11.26.2012 , 07:13 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Varium View Post
You can do that with any modern MMO. With WoW and Gw2 also.
yea, thats why i play EVE, there you cant

Devlonir's Avatar


Devlonir
11.26.2012 , 07:16 AM | #24
I actually felt the review made some good and valid points. For example, though the fact that WoW's MOP and GW2 handled story better is very debatable, I do understand where he comes from. Even if I personally do not agree. Also F2P annoyances are a very valid point that he raises well enough.

But when his conclusion was posted:
Quote:
As a top-tier MMO though, The Old Republic is done. Many games are said to have their day. The Old Republic's initial blaze of glory took that rather more literally than most, and this year's big releases have left it in the dust. Consider it on life support - and not the cool Darth Vader kind. The NHS kind. Surrounded by nurses who won't shut up about BUPA.
And I had to wonder if Eurogamer did not just attempt to jump on the TOR hating train and was looking for something cool to add to that. The fact of the matter is still very simple: TOR is still the 2nd biggest subscription MMO and a number of reports say the game is actually being actively played by more players than GW2 since about a month after that was launched (again, facts that cannot be checked). And especially TSW, which is admittedly a good game, does not come close to it's actual numbers of active and concurrent players.
Furthermore, the rise in activity on all servers since F2P has held on so far. It is not as huge a peek as it was in the initial weekend, but it is clearly there. Torstatus.net prooves this.
Furthermore, he mentions F2P annoyances as his main minus point but, in no way, chooses to compare it to other F2P MMO's and their systems. Except focusing on things like having no renames yet.
These are all things not mentioned in the review at all, and therefore I am a bit wondering on the credibility of this review.

Any objective review would not say the game is "done" untill it actually is. And right now, it is not. Because than every MMO except WoW would be done as a Top-tier MMO.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

Lord_Ravenhurst's Avatar


Lord_Ravenhurst
11.26.2012 , 07:16 AM | #25
Well, time for revamping the game.

A Final Fantasy XIV type relaunch

Pompeia's Avatar


Pompeia
11.26.2012 , 07:17 AM | #26
Eurogamer as long lost any credibility. That website is a joke even among their competition (literaly).

It tends to give high scores to games that every other website bashes, and low grades to games every other gaming website praises.

3 examples:

The first tomb raider for PS2. Every other website said lacked inovation and was dull, they gave it a nice high score

PES Vs FIFA, PS2 generation. They praised FIFA while everyone else said PES was way way better.

inFamous - most acurate websites gave it 8 or 9, they gave it a 7. On the other hand, every other website gave average score to prototype, they gave it max score. It was inFamous vs Prototype and they prefered the later.

This is not beeing very demanding, its just beeing plain incompetents. When every respected gaming website sais one thing and they say the oposite...

Maybe they should fire the journalists and hire gamers instead.

If you want decent reviews you best check gamespot or ign.

Xatasha's Avatar


Xatasha
11.26.2012 , 07:17 AM | #27
I give Eurogamer a 2/10 as a review of the review.

The review sounded like a angry rant from a wowtard

VanderII's Avatar


VanderII
11.26.2012 , 07:22 AM | #28
Yeha
Star Wars: The Old Republic - vote 4/10
Guild Wars 2 - 9/10
- Neithan Legacy -
- A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities. - J.R.R.T

Xenith's Avatar


Xenith
11.26.2012 , 07:24 AM | #29
The one thing that is going to kill TOR is all of the restrictions they put on F2P members. The sooner they realize that, the better. Restrictions on gear? XP? Cooldowns longer? Come on Bioware. That's just ridiculous.
XenithFounder of Jen'jidai
Peace is a lie... and so is your Order.
CE_VIP

Vlacke's Avatar


Vlacke
11.26.2012 , 07:32 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandMike View Post
1. No it isnt, even closely, not even in the west

2. SWTOR went F2P, so it isnt even a subscription game any more
1. Yes it is.
2. You are wrong.
Telcontar Legacy