Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Eurogamer re-reviews SWTOR

Ekas
11.26.2012 , 06:11 AM | #1

Tatile
11.26.2012 , 06:20 AM | #2
In saturated market "adequate" game-play is a zombie-sentence. This game does have "adequate" mechanics for Operations, but given that that feels about two-steps away from mediocre half the time, I can't say I'm finding the Ops that enjoyable (I get more fun from fudging up the content with my guildies than actually engaging with the game, though that might be due to the fact I'm a healer and we're not allowed to have fun).

Edit:

(I'm reading this through and commenting because I don't have a red pen.)

SWTOR as a single player would have worked, but still with a multiplayer aspect, maybe? Something similar to ME3, but with a more expanded end-game/side-game player interaction.

Fornix
11.26.2012 , 06:20 AM | #3
And with that, any shred of credibility Eurogamer had left, is thrown out of the window. Something you prior rated an 8, which in essence remained the same with several endgame additions and an extended trial for those who do not wish to subscribe, doesn't suddenly become a 4 unless you're completely incompetent as a reviewer. Eurogamer already strongly leaned towards incompetence, and now they've begun making it more obvious apparently.
Member of <Helix>

shammancz
11.26.2012 , 06:20 AM | #4
well deserved imho

ProsaicProse
11.26.2012 , 06:25 AM | #5
Was that supposed to be a review? It read more like a biased rant from an angry player who likes to troll.

GrandMike
11.26.2012 , 06:26 AM | #6
EA cut down bribe money too, so truthful reviews come out now

shammancz
11.26.2012 , 06:30 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ProsaicProse View Post
Was that supposed to be a review? It read more like a biased rant from an angry player who likes to troll.
it is actually a review from a player who was here on launch and came back after a year to see no difference at all

GoldenHornet
11.26.2012 , 06:41 AM | #8
I thought most of his review was spot on to be honest.

I like this game, I enjoy playing in the Star Wars universe, but it's not a modern, well designed game by any stretch of the imagination. It's a shiny SW skin on a 10 year old game.

I also think he's right about the F2P conversion and restrictions. I'm a subscriber and there's no way in hell I'd play this game as a "preferred" player.

Quote:
The Old Republic's biggest failing as a free-to-play game, though, is its attitude. It doesn't simply push you to subscribe. It levies so many petty restrictions that it ends up feeling like the goal wasn't to attract newcomers so much as spite any who dared show up.
is pretty much exactly what I thought of this F2P model, along with this

Quote:
The Old Republic has no time for this, preferring to treat non-subscribers as third-class citizens - even the ones willing to spend money on individual purchases. These unworthies earn no rested XP, with even regular XP being acquired at a lower rate. Quick Travel is now on a two-hour cooldown instead of half an hour. Even opening a shop window (not including the real money one) means getting a snippy "Vendor prices are increased for Free-to-Play Players".

This is not how subscribers are won. This is how 20GB of disk space is recovered.
Maybe Bioware will learn eventually, but with EA calling the shots from over their heads I doubt it. The accountants/marketing people are in charge now, those devs with the vision for the game and the drive to make it better are long gone.

Master-Nala
11.26.2012 , 06:42 AM | #9
Forget the review, I really wonder at those who are ridiculously stupid enough to subscribe to the game if they agree with that article. The reviewer is entitled to his/her opinion.

Soluss
11.26.2012 , 06:43 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
And with that, any shred of credibility Eurogamer had left, is thrown out of the window. Something you prior rated an 8, which in essence remained the same with several endgame additions and an extended trial for those who do not wish to subscribe, doesn't suddenly become a 4 unless you're completely incompetent as a reviewer. Eurogamer already strongly leaned towards incompetence, and now they've begun making it more obvious apparently.
The game was an 8 for about the first month. During the first month it was new and fresh design. It played like a single player game. Then you realize, this is an MMO and not a single player game. The freshness wears off. The illusion evaporates and the game does become a 4.

It doesnt matter that they added operations and a couple flashpoints and a warzone. This game lacks in MMO. Ops and flashpoints and warzones dont necessarily make in an MMO.

Now your single player game is being ruined as well..... story content is quickly becomming... pick up quest at terminal.

The article is spot on in my opinion.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."