Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Suggested Mercenary/Commando Changes for 1.6

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Bounty Hunter > Mercenary
Suggested Mercenary/Commando Changes for 1.6

physicXx
12.02.2012 , 11:59 AM | #41
I fully support the implementation of run and gun through rocket punch, but for all talent trees. I don't see how this is over powered at all seeing that we are a ranged class, from afar all of our abilities would need channeling still. Once the battle is up close we would finally have a tool at our disposal to give us some help. Ranged distance = nothing really changes with run and gun, melee distance means we have some tools to help us out close up.
Great Idea, sadly I doubt there will be any changes made to this class.
Party with $luts
W$GT$ always and forever
[PVP] The Bastion

Phrase
12.02.2012 , 05:16 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by physicXx View Post
...sadly I doubt there will be any changes made to this class.
I know right. We've got some really good guides in this forum and we can't even get those stickied.

Sixgun
The Bastion

mandoforlife
12.02.2012 , 10:18 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
i have suggested that Energy Shield for Pyrotechs be able to not only remove current root/slows, but provide immunity to those effects for the full duration of Energy Shield. that should be enough of an escape mechanism without adding in a whole new ability.
Ah, I missed that one. Sorry 'bout that. What do you think about the nerf to the cgc proc? I think it was a very bad move by BW that gimmped our kiting ability even more. Plus the fact that it's rng... its just not that great anymore.
Vamark Skirata 55 Mercenary <Meet Killface>
Sirsuitntie Sorcerer - Jatne Operative - Zaavar Assassin - Alsaire Marauder
The Bastion

cashogy
12.03.2012 , 12:21 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by mandoforlife View Post
Ah, I missed that one. Sorry 'bout that. What do you think about the nerf to the cgc proc? I think it was a very bad move by BW that gimmped our kiting ability even more. Plus the fact that it's rng... its just not that great anymore.
it should go back to a 50% slow, absolutely

TyrellJonez
12.03.2012 , 11:50 AM | #45
Just 2 charges of Run and Gun and you have my vote good sir.

Run and Gun should be a Tier 3 talent.

Why? It drastically changes the play style of whatever build it goes into. It should require a hybrid build if used outside of the Arsenal tree.

Can u imagine Thermal detonator+explosive Dart and then Railshot with back to back instant powershots? Cuz that was my first thought. forget the heat management, i just killed a healer in like 5 seconds. Or rapid scan with 2 fast healing scans? Near immortality.

Tier 3 please or we'll be eyed for nerf bats soon.
If they don't wanna see the hood in me, be satisfied when you see the good in me

physicXx
12.03.2012 , 01:05 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrellJonez View Post

Why? It drastically changes the play style of whatever build it goes into. It should require a hybrid build if used outside of the Arsenal tree.

Can u imagine Thermal detonator+explosive Dart and then Railshot with back to back instant powershots? Cuz that was my first thought. forget the heat management, i just killed a healer in like 5 seconds. Or rapid scan with 2 fast healing scans? Near immortality.

Can you imagine thermal detonator + explosive dart and then rail shot with back to back flame bursts that guarantee tech damage and a refresh on cgc? Shouldn't be very hard at all considering a class already has that in game.... with instant powershot we still don't get a 100% application chance to cgc. Also powershart is white damage which is easily mitigated and once again your run and gun proc wouldn't really come into effect at ranged distances unless you rocket punched someone and jet boosted them or rocket punched someone and ran 30m away to kite. (waste of time) So I don't think a nerf would be in order.....

Run and Gun should be applicable to all merc classes. Some classes need more charges than others hence the talent trees. Healing would be fine with one or two run and gun procs only applicable to heals (three is just over kill/OP imo for heals in pvp situations), Arsenal and Pyro would fair better with two charges only applicable to damage skills.

This is the best idea I have heard yet. Also a reduced CD on power overrides with a chance to reduce CD through crit chance wouldn't be a bad idea either...
Party with $luts
W$GT$ always and forever
[PVP] The Bastion

cashogy
12.03.2012 , 04:41 PM | #47

i think 3 charges are fine. it gives us the freedom of having the chance to use 3 casted abilities instantly, which when under pressure would be a massive improvement.

tier 3? no. this is a change that needs to benefit ALL Merc DPS. Pyrotech is as much reliant on casting as Arsenal is.

um, i can ALREADY perform the combo that you describe. and in no way whatsoever is the damage that results from it overpowered. at most, youre going to be looking at 10-14k damage over 5 GCDs.

yeah, you could use the 3 charges on Rapid Scan, but you just maxed out your heat and are useless for the next ~10s while it comes down.

as far as drastically changing the play-style, say what? you would get a Run and Gun proc from Rocket Punch, and only Rocket Punch. how many successful Mercs do you see purposefully closing to melee range to do their damage? the answer to that question is NONE. this proc would be the ideal way for Mercs to have a reliable mechanism for combating melee opponents who get into our faces. if there is no melee player near you, you will be casting from range just like always. the only change is that Merc actually would stand a chance against melee opponents.

and people will absolutely cry for Merc to be nerfed if these changes go through. that is because they are use to Mercs literally being a free kill. suddenly we would be as effective as any other DPS class, and our enemies would not like that.

TyrellJonez
12.03.2012 , 05:11 PM | #48
Whoa whoa whoa, i been rolling a merc since beta don't jump down my throat assuming i don't know what i'm talking about. Its a VERY good idea/mechanic that i fully support.

I just see it as a tradeoff. HSM/Thermal Detenator/Emergency Scan for the ability to hybrid effectively. Arsenal spec won't care because of course they are gunna take it, but the other 2 specs will hafta sacrifice something for it. a 1pt talent that can drastically change how you play.

Imagine a pyro merc shooting off instant big heals? A Bodyguard merc spamming instant tracer missle? People wouldn't be able to say "hes wearing combat support cylinder, hes a healer" they hafta watch how you PLAY and see what your doing.

I see room for abuse, i just want this idea to get off the ground and hopefully implemented before the developers (hah, like they even notice) decide its just a stupid fanboy wish and write us all off. Can't argue with that
If they don't wanna see the hood in me, be satisfied when you see the good in me

TyrellJonez
12.03.2012 , 05:16 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
- change Deguass, a tier 3 box, to the following: Energy Shield has a [50 / 100]% chance to remove all movement-impairing effects when activated and a [50 / 100]% chance to be immune to all movement-impairing effects for the duration of Energy Shield

Yup, that was my idea a while back =)

cashogy
12.03.2012 , 08:33 PM | #50
Whoa whoa whoa, i been rolling a merc since beta don't jump down my throat assuming i don't know what i'm talking about. Its a VERY good idea/mechanic that i fully support.

I just see it as a tradeoff. HSM/Thermal Detenator/Emergency Scan for the ability to hybrid effectively. Arsenal spec won't care because of course they are gunna take it, but the other 2 specs will hafta sacrifice something for it. a 1pt talent that can drastically change how you play.

Imagine a pyro merc shooting off instant big heals? A Bodyguard merc spamming instant tracer missle? People wouldn't be able to say "hes wearing combat support cylinder, hes a healer" they hafta watch how you PLAY and see what your doing.

I see room for abuse, i just want this idea to get off the ground and hopefully implemented before the developers (hah, like they even notice) decide its just a stupid fanboy wish and write us all off. Can't argue with that
except you WOULD NOT be able to hybrid effectively. you could get Rail Shot resets, and basically thats it. and you absolutely WOULD NOT be able to gain enough damage output from "run and gun" to make up for using a absolutely ridiculous Merc DPS hybrid build. Merc DPS hyrid WILL NOT WORK.

do you not understand that what i am proposing WOULD NOT be available all the time? only IMMEDIATELY AFTER USING ROCKET PUNCH. so "a pyro merc shooting off instant big heals" would not happen UNLESS THEY WERE BEING ATTACKED BY MELEE.

oh, and btw an Arsenal Merc can *already* get 2 instant heals back-to-back. there are literally ZERO people complaining about that.

healers spamming tracer missile? 1) 3 casted instants =/= SPAMMING, 2) why on earth would a healer take Tracer Missile? its a tier 3 ability, and you would have to give up Bodyguards ONLY instant single target heal. that makes no sense.

this would absolutely NOT be able to be abused. if, as a Merc RANGED DPS, you are closing to melee distance constantly, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! Rocket Punch is used WHEN WE ARE IN MELEE RANGE, which is most often WHEN WE ARE BEING ATTACKED BY MELEE OPPONENTS.

i really do not see how you think this will be abused? purposefully closing to melee distance as a Merc is a GREAT way to get yourself killed. "Run and Gun" would be designed to allow you 3 casted instants, only after using Rocket Punch on an enemy in melee range. which likely already means you have been slowed/rooted, unless your opponent is terrible.

this is not rocket science......