Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Padme, innocent as they protray her?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Padme, innocent as they protray her?

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 12:47 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I kinda already explained this through several threads..though can't find my posts, will cover it in my Analysis thread for Anakin. But I don't think innocent is the right word for Padme here, I mean she has fought in battle many times, she does care about her people and the Republic that is for sure. Really though, they spent a lot of time together alone while the movies don't really show this you pretty much have to take into account of what happens off screen of what you don't see(just like any other movie).

This more then likely was refreshing to Padme, as she got to actually KNOW someone rather then being hit on by snobbish senators or princes or whoever, never those wanting to get to actually know her.

As for her being manipulated...not entirely sure where that comes from, she was plotting with others(Bail Organa and Mon Mothma notably) against Palpatine.

To the Sand People thing, they are monsters. They aren't human in the sense that they actually care for anyone who they attack, I mean they train their youths to be killers, having them go out and torture beasts or humans(example Shmi). So them all being killed by Anakin, doesn't really make him a killer...he wasn't kill defenseless people he was killing monsters who go out, raid farms and carvans, kill/capture/torture the people and take their things.
She was manipulated in EP I, Palpatine used her to vote against Valorum. If we add the EU her election as queen was nothing but Palpatine's scheme, of course he underestimated her a bit.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
11.25.2012 , 12:58 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
She was manipulated in EP I, Palpatine used her to vote against Valorum. If we add the EU her election as queen was nothing but Palpatine's scheme, of course he underestimated her a bit.
Ok yes she was tricked on that part , but Valorum was an incompetent moron who didn't know what the hell was going on. As for her rise to queen...ehhh yes and no I wanna say on that, she was already popular and opposed Veruna's policies though I won't say that Palpatine didn't give her an extra leg up.

Am speaking more of the manipulation thing during EP 3, not so much the first two.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Nataph's Avatar


Nataph
11.25.2012 , 01:26 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post

As for her being manipulated...not entirely sure where that comes from, she was plotting with others(Bail Organa and Mon Mothma notably) against Palpatine.
To the Sand People thing, they are monsters. They aren't human in the sense that they actually care for anyone who they attack, I mean they train their youths to be killers, having them go out and torture beasts or humans(example Shmi). So them all being killed by Anakin, doesn't really make him a killer...he wasn't kill defenseless people he was killing monsters who go out, raid farms and carvans, kill/capture/torture the people and take their things.


She was easily manipulated in Darth Plageuis.

Sand people are monsters to certain people but tell that to the Sand People and their children. The Children can be seen as innocent at the moment but in time would be killers only through circumstance.. but that is an assumption. Tahira Veila was once a sand person but became a Jedi. Anakin despite avenging his mother, did avenger her with hatred, meaning he was no different. I understand why he did it but it doesnt make it right. Padme knowing this, and at the time, still werent 'dating' means someone can tell you at their first few dates they killed ferets because they were angry. Would you still be with them or think them a little weird?
The Bastion

55's Ixzaran Aar'siah Hâdassah Hada'ssah Nashata Nataph Sashasa

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 01:44 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataph View Post
She was easily manipulated in Darth Plageuis.

Sand people are monsters to certain people but tell that to the Sand People and their children. The Children can be seen as innocent at the moment but in time would be killers only through circumstance.. but that is an assumption. Tahira Veila was once a sand person but became a Jedi. Anakin despite avenging his mother, did avenger her with hatred, meaning he was no different. I understand why he did it but it doesnt make it right. Padme knowing this, and at the time, still werent 'dating' means someone can tell you at their first few dates they killed ferets because they were angry. Would you still be with them or think them a little weird?
Well that's wrong, but that does not make a person evil. Just like Satele Shan.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
11.25.2012 , 01:48 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataph View Post
She was easily manipulated in Darth Plageuis.

Sand people are monsters to certain people but tell that to the Sand People and their children. The Children can be seen as innocent at the moment but in time would be killers only through circumstance.. but that is an assumption. Tahira Veila was once a sand person but became a Jedi. Anakin despite avenging his mother, did avenger her with hatred, meaning he was no different. I understand why he did it but it doesnt make it right. Padme knowing this, and at the time, still werent 'dating' means someone can tell you at their first few dates they killed ferets because they were angry. Would you still be with them or think them a little weird?
You mean Palpatine, though I don't recall other then the Valorum thing to be really manipulating but even then with Valorum he wasn't entirely liked by anyone.

As for Tahiri being a Sand Person, she wasn't actually a Sand Person she was a human and even as a Sand Person didn't seem to be really taught anything seeing as she was brought before the jedi at 9 years old, and the fact she had strong animosity towards the cultural aspects of the Sand People.

I would see them as a little weird sure, but its not like Anakin killed a defenseless human being. He killed those who killed others, and raised their children to be savages. Even then though Anakin knew it was wrong for him to do so, being a jedi he shouldn't have given into his anger. So it was wrong being that he was a jedi and he should know better, but it wasn't wrong in the sense that it was a bad thing being that given the history of the Sand People and them killing his mother.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

shadowedwolf's Avatar


shadowedwolf
11.25.2012 , 02:07 PM | #16
Ah Padme... My good friend and I have had several convos about her... Our conclusion usually comes down to her being dense and a tease. Mostly the second thing.
She knows how little orphan Ani feels about her, yet one she dances the line between 'no we shouldn't' to playful flirting. I suppose that happens alot in real life, but she outta know the Jedi code and have asked Yoda or Mace for another bodyguard to avoid all the trouble to begin with.
As for the Sand People slaughter... I could go either way with that. She looks shocked by it but she also understands how upset little orphan Ani was. Since in Star Wars the Sand People are views as 'savage beasts', I suppose the folks on Tatooine probably would have hailed Ani as a hero. Of coarse, they are sentient beings despite thier warrior society so its still murder.
Actually, the whole thing with "the jedi betrayed the republic" is where I facepalmed. Of coarse, why Obi didn't bring proof that little orphan Ani killed all those people when confronting Padme is beyond me. Still, she's concerned about the fate of the republic with her 'sepertist talk' but then believes the jedi turned on the republic by trying to kill Palpy.
Eh... I don't know. Maybe thier 'love' wasn't bad writing... And just the SW version of Misery with less kidnapping and broken bones. All that time with little orphan Ani on Naboo caused Padme to develop Stockholm Syndrome. It's the only way I can choke down the 'devoted love.'
But innocent... Probably. I think she loves the ideals of the republic, whether manipulated or not behind the scenes. However, I think her 'love' for Ani made her to dense to see how insane he was becoming.
"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." ~ Dark Helmet

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 02:08 PM | #17
Revan's actions was 1000 times worse than Anakin but the Jedi were still aiding him.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
11.25.2012 , 02:15 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataph View Post
As I watch the Clone Wars Series, Padme is the same as always. She cares so much and wishes peace for everyone. She loves everyone and is willing to do everything to create peace for the war, however is she that innocent?

I mean the woman knew Anakin killed Tusken raiders and their children and she kept quiet. Not only that but she falls in love with the killer and marries him. Marries him when she knew Jedi were supposed to not get married going against an Jedi Order's rule. She lies about their marriage the whole time and never tells anyone about their marriage. She didn't even answer Obi when he questioned her that the baby was Anakin's.
But yet, the Clone Wars series leads us to believe she is the perpetual tree hugger and lover of all mankind.... other than the tuskan raiders because of course they were bad savage animals along with the children.
Padme was also easily manipulated by Palpatine and is associated with the Fall of the Republic and the Reign of the Sith.



Innocent? Despite the lies and the knowledge of a killer.
or
The Righteous peace lover who was just so in love she was willing to forego her lover's obvious flaws?
  • Lets see....Anakin had his mother tortured for a month and probably *****, he got angry and killed them all. A bad thign yes...but it's not like he got bored and decided to kill a camp of Tuskens...
  • Padme friend-zoned Anakin for most of Ep II until she was about to die, after that moment Anakin persuaded her into marriage.
  • Why wouldn't Padme lie about being with Anakin? He'd get thrown out of Order and just complicate things for herself as well.
  • Super obvous body-language told Obi-wan that the child was Anakin's in Ep III and Obi-wan had a feeling that Anakin was the father anyway if you watched Ep III closer.

And you are acting like the Tuskins were good people...

Yup, she is some form of racism ever thogh her uncle was Rodian... \

I hated her "oh lets try to be peaceful" characteristics, but your description is a tad flawed and limited.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 02:52 PM | #19
I don't understand why some people love to judge characters black and white.

Sure Anakin's action is over the top while he had a reason, Padme was wrong to not point it out, but that does not make her a bad person.

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.25.2012 , 02:59 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Revan's actions was 1000 times worse than Anakin but the Jedi were still aiding him.
Your point is debatable to say the least. But to say "1000 times" is a bit of an exaduration.

Remember: Anakin is no saint.