Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sarting a new trooper

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sarting a new trooper

Tigalo
11.25.2012 , 05:12 AM | #1
Just about to finish the story on my sage, and my next project will be a trooper. I have previously played a vanguard to 18, then rerolled him to a commando which made it to 17 and then rerolled vanguard again which made it to 28 before I deleted him to free up a slot for another imp char. the reason I rerolled him the first time was because I wanted an assault cannon, the second time it felt a waste to roll a commando when I already had a merc (and we were restricted to 8 slots). I like the look and feel of both ACs, both as a male type 3 and female type 2.

In that regard I have a few questions:

1) Just how aweful is a commando for pvp in the 10-49 bracket? My merc is now aweful in the 50 bracket, to the point where he is retired. If I want to pvp while I level, is vanguard the only real option?

2) Light vs Dark: What side of the story is better and which side of the story do your companions prefer? I really hate seeing -100 affection in conversations

3) For solo pve, considering I will have 400 presence from legacy (currently sitting on 701 presence on my 49 sage) which will be stronger and faster, the commando or the vanguard?

When we get the option to buy more char slots this problem will be moot, as I will make a char of the other AC with the opposite alignment as my 13th char.

TLDR version: For a pet project trooper: Vanguard or Commando, Lightside or Darkside
Nite Legacy (legacy level 50) on The Progenitor: Kir - 55 merc, Tigalo - 55 jugg, Kirana - 51 sorc, Jax 50 marauder, Rev - 50 operative, Nish - 50 gunslinger, Kenix - 55 sage, Manji - 50 assassin, Tigelo - 50 Commando and more

DariusCalera
11.25.2012 , 02:29 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Tigalo View Post
Just about to finish the story on my sage, and my next project will be a trooper. I have previously played a vanguard to 18, then rerolled him to a commando which made it to 17 and then rerolled vanguard again which made it to 28 before I deleted him to free up a slot for another imp char. the reason I rerolled him the first time was because I wanted an assault cannon, the second time it felt a waste to roll a commando when I already had a merc (and we were restricted to 8 slots). I like the look and feel of both ACs, both as a male type 3 and female type 2.

In that regard I have a few questions:

1) Just how aweful is a commando for pvp in the 10-49 bracket? My merc is now aweful in the 50 bracket, to the point where he is retired. If I want to pvp while I level, is vanguard the only real option?

2) Light vs Dark: What side of the story is better and which side of the story do your companions prefer? I really hate seeing -100 affection in conversations

3) For solo pve, considering I will have 400 presence from legacy (currently sitting on 701 presence on my 49 sage) which will be stronger and faster, the commando or the vanguard?

When we get the option to buy more char slots this problem will be moot, as I will make a char of the other AC with the opposite alignment as my 13th char.

TLDR version: For a pet project trooper: Vanguard or Commando, Lightside or Darkside
1: It's not terrible in the lowbie bracket and since you are going in with more PvP experience you should be fine.

2: Most of your companions prefer the light sided options. Vik goes for the DS ones.

3: IMHO the commando is the the easier one to level in PvE. You have more range, more AoE, a long range CC, and more heals than the Vanguard does.

Tigalo
11.25.2012 , 03:34 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DariusCalera View Post
1: It's not terrible in the lowbie bracket and since you are going in with more PvP experience you should be fine.

2: Most of your companions prefer the light sided options. Vik goes for the DS ones.

3: IMHO the commando is the the easier one to level in PvE. You have more range, more AoE, a long range CC, and more heals than the Vanguard does.
Thanks..

So, seems a lightsided commando would be the right choice then. Although, I bet he would look ****** with the DS facials features as I already use the sith warrior cybernetics on him.
Nite Legacy (legacy level 50) on The Progenitor: Kir - 55 merc, Tigalo - 55 jugg, Kirana - 51 sorc, Jax 50 marauder, Rev - 50 operative, Nish - 50 gunslinger, Kenix - 55 sage, Manji - 50 assassin, Tigelo - 50 Commando and more