Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alacrity

Talyndor
11.24.2012 , 04:17 PM | #1
Posts on alacrity are difficult to decipher, and not always encouraging about stacking alacrity.

For a healing Op....what do i want to shoot for in terms of alacrity?

50 Gunslinger-50 Sage-50 Sentinel-50 Operative

CaptainApop
11.24.2012 , 04:46 PM | #2
If you already have 250ish surge, get alacrity.

It is that simple.
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Vacarius
11.24.2012 , 08:44 PM | #3
Not as simple as that actually. From memory, alacrity is better for burst above 250 surge and better for sustained at around the 300 mark (it's on mmomechanics, can't remember the exact ammounts). So for pve, anywhere between 250-300 surge and then stacked alacrity is fine.

PvP however is entirely different. Aginst top players, you'll find yourself interupted constantly (You can try fakecasting, but not reliable and takes up time). You therefore want less alacrity and more surge as you'll never have the chance to cast KI anyway.I find in a top match I'll get about 10% of my heals from KI and the rest from instant casts, meaning that surge is better as alacrity will only affect 10% of my healing.

The reason people don't like alacrity is that fasting healing gives energy less time to regenerate, meaning you drop into lower regen rates. This isn't too muc of a problem, as faster casting opens up a GCD where you can use DS to regenerate it.
Seikier - Operative Healer
Officer of Nightmare Council

BlackSpin
11.25.2012 , 04:37 PM | #4
I've been a healing operative since launch... Alacrity is good if you've maxed out every other stat your gear will allow.

In concealment, you get accuracy to not go over surge soft cap.... In healing, you get alacrity to not go over surge soft cap. Simple. Usually end up with about 150-200 or 3-4 enhancements you can swap out.

Quote: Originally Posted by Talyndor View Post
Posts on alacrity are difficult to decipher, and not always encouraging about stacking alacrity.

Zhothon
11.27.2012 , 12:15 PM | #5

For healing, do not try for alacrity. Most of our heals are instant cast, so you do not benefit from it greatly (only channeled/cast heals is Diagnostic Scan and Kolto Injection (ya....I ignored infusion)). KI probably makes up about 25% of total healing and DS is more about getting energy back (and is already fast channel).

On top of that, alacrity takes a big number to truly make a difference. IMHO, go for surge (even with the sharp roll-off). I am min/maxing my healing OP and have surge rating in the 400s. I think I have a tad over 100 alacrity in my PvP set (but that was due to the WH implants).

TL/DR: Don't target alacrity. If you have some, it doesn't hurt (it helps a little), but you are better off getting a higher surge. If you still want alacrity, I recommend going for a surge rating of at least 300 first.
EBON HAWK - Guerrilla
Silentstorm <Op>

Azaranth
11.27.2012 , 12:38 PM | #6

Hope this is helpful: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=553249

Vacarius
11.27.2012 , 07:16 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhothon View Post
For healing, do not try for alacrity. Most of our heals are instant cast, so you do not benefit from it greatly (only channeled/cast heals is Diagnostic Scan and Kolto Injection (ya....I ignored infusion)). KI probably makes up about 25% of total healing and DS is more about getting energy back (and is already fast channel).

On top of that, alacrity takes a big number to truly make a difference. IMHO, go for surge (even with the sharp roll-off). I am min/maxing my healing OP and have surge rating in the 400s. I think I have a tad over 100 alacrity in my PvP set (but that was due to the WH implants).

TL/DR: Don't target alacrity. If you have some, it doesn't hurt (it helps a little), but you are better off getting a higher surge. If you still want alacrity, I recommend going for a surge rating of at least 300 first.
Sorry, but this post is incorrect. 400 surge is 100 surge too much, by aiming for that you're reducing your hps. As stated by most posters, anywhere from between 250-300 surge then stacked alacrity is what you should aim for (I prefer closer to 300 as I find burst healing easy anyway). That said, this relies on near perfect management of energy. More surge is thus prefered if energy management is problematic (as alacrity will make this worse if you're not on top of it).

Quote: Originally Posted by Azaranth View Post
Hmm, haven't had time to go through this properly yet but looks very good. Have you had a look at the discussions on mmomechanics about alacrity (operative forum)? It's been a while since then so I'm always looking for others to do the maths for my inept mind

EDIT: Found it (http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-775.html), basically go to the end of the first post.
Seikier - Operative Healer
Officer of Nightmare Council

Talyndor
11.28.2012 , 12:08 PM | #8
I want to thank everyone for their helpful comments.

Sadly, although I have read (not skimmed) all of them , and followed the links to other posts and graphs (some of which befuddle me, btw), I am left just as confused as before. (Not helped, btw, by a fellow operative guildie I respect who says don't worry about alacrity at all).

It seems there is a real split between the value of alacrity versus other stats. I am seeing suggestions of a soft cap for surge at 250-300 (after which i should go for alacrity) , a soft cap for crit at about 350 (after which I go for power). But then I see posts suggesting I should get my crit rating to 40% for better heals.

Sigh.....I don't mean to sound exasperated. i just cannot reconcile the differing views, and maybe its best to just digest what people have said and try to optimize my healer as best I can.

I am grateful for those of you who took the time to respond to my original post.

50 Gunslinger-50 Sage-50 Sentinel-50 Operative

Infalliable
11.28.2012 , 12:28 PM | #9
It seems there is a real split between the value of alacrity versus other stats. I am seeing suggestions of a soft cap for surge at 250-300 (after which i should go for alacrity) , a soft cap for crit at about 350 (after which I go for power). But then I see posts suggesting I should get my crit rating to 40% for better heals.
These really aren't opposing views. B/c of how stats are distributed, you really only end up trading surge for alacrity. Surge tends to soft cap around the 250-300 where you hit diminishing returns. After that point, alacrity is okay and is more helpful for builds that have a lot of channeled skills (e.g., operatives don't have too many, corruption sorcs are pretty much all channeled heals).

You can also trade critical rating for power. The critical rating stat does hit dimishing returns around 350. However, your overall chance to have a critical hit is also dependent on your mainstat. This main stat dependence is on a different formula from the critical rating stat and has no (significant?) dimishing returns to worry about. With the best gear in game, you tend to have about a 38-40% critical chance by nature of your huge cunning pool and combined critical rating.

You also have the fact that alacrity's effect is harder to quantify for healers. DPS, for example, are always trying to pump out as much as possible and maximize DPS. "Optimal" rotations are really important as a result. Healers are reactionary, so max output is not as critical or clear a factor. Depending on how people prioritize "max output" vs. "reactionary ability" you get many of these sorts of arguments.

Zhothon
11.28.2012 , 12:38 PM | #10
I want to thank everyone for their helpful comments.

Sadly, although I have read (not skimmed) all of them , and followed the links to other posts and graphs (some of which befuddle me, btw), I am left just as confused as before. (Not helped, btw, by a fellow operative guildie I respect who says don't worry about alacrity at all).

Sigh.....I don't mean to sound exasperated. i just cannot reconcile the differing views, and maybe its best to just digest what people have said and try to optimize my healer as best I can.

I am grateful for those of you who took the time to respond to my original post.
There are plenty of different views. Most disagreeing comes with the little stuff, we all tend to agree on the big numbers.

Ignore everyone else and listen to me. I have tons of healing experience (PvP and PvE). I have parsed plenty and solver equations for maximized healing.

Core things to consider:
This advice is for level 50 player (most will hold true for sub-50 tho):

Cunning: Get as much as you can. When it comes to augments, get cunning...no others.

With skills and buffs 1 cunning gives about the same healing output as 1 power, but cunning also gives you extra crit% (power does not).

Crit: Get around 36% to 40% buffed

We have some heals that give a surge boost (30% extra surge when crit happens). That makes crit very important (Injection and RN). The reality is, you will be trading between crit and power in your gear. I suggest getting crit up to these numbers then going for power. If you are slightly above or below this range, it probably wont make a huge difference in your overall healing (hps).

Power: After you are at your ideal crit range, go for as much as you can (except when you have a choice between power and cunning)

Surge: 300 minimum
Surge has the quickest slope on the curve. You are a fool if you dont get at least 180. 300 should land you somewhere near 75% surge. Hard cap is 80%. I have a surge rating above 400 (probably around 78%). I value surge more than alacrity.

Alacrity: After surge is 300, you may consider putting rest into alacrity.
Alacrity is really only useful on your Kolto Injection. It does not help KP, SP, or RN. Some value having an extra 0.1-0.2 sec shaved off the 2 second cast time (you are probably starting at 1.9 sec if you skilled 2pts in tree). Since emergency heals are typically SP spam, I dont think the extra time savings necessary. Putting your points into surge will give stronger heals on everything (even if you are experiencing major diminishing returns).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
EBON HAWK - Guerrilla
Silentstorm <Op>