Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to play a good dps shadow?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How to play a good dps shadow?

melodylane
11.24.2012 , 12:53 PM | #1
I am thinking of starting a new dps shadow. But the kicker is Ive never played a dps charcter before I mostly roll healers. Being a healer is clear and cut... keep the group alive spend the least amount of energy possible doing it. Dps I gather is a little harder to be succesful at. So my question is what do you guys look for in a good dps group member? Do they kill all the add ons first then concentrate on boss? Whats the rotation I should use? Any helpful suggestions are really appreciated.

"For some people this world ain't never gonna be right.... Maybe your Mattie's one of those people" ~ Doc Holiday -Tombstone-

LostInReverie
11.24.2012 , 01:15 PM | #2
Rotation depends on what spec you choose to do. But yes a rule of thumb, kill adds and low level mobs first before tackling the stronger ones. Be careful not to break CC with your AOE abilities. Wait for the tank to pull mobs so you don't pull all the aggro right away. It's not too difficult really. I usually play DPS, and I think it's a ton of fun. Killing things is entertaining.
THE CALLISTO LEGACY (JC)
THE SOLARIS LEGACY (EH)

melodylane
11.24.2012 , 01:23 PM | #3
Well I was thinking of a infiltration spec. So I suppose I will need to find the rotation for that online somewhere. Ill just google it.

"For some people this world ain't never gonna be right.... Maybe your Mattie's one of those people" ~ Doc Holiday -Tombstone-

venomlash
11.24.2012 , 01:55 PM | #4
If you play from 1 to 50, you'll figure out your rotation along the way, I've found.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

Smashbrother
11.24.2012 , 01:57 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by melodylane View Post
I am thinking of starting a new dps shadow. But the kicker is Ive never played a dps charcter before I mostly roll healers. Being a healer is clear and cut... keep the group alive spend the least amount of energy possible doing it. Dps I gather is a little harder to be succesful at. So my question is what do you guys look for in a good dps group member? Do they kill all the add ons first then concentrate on boss? Whats the rotation I should use? Any helpful suggestions are really appreciated.
Playing as dps is easier than tanking or healing, in pretty much every game. Kill order should be easiest to kill to hardest to kill.

althene
11.24.2012 , 02:07 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
Playing as dps is easier than tanking or healing, in pretty much every game. Kill order should be easiest to kill to hardest to kill.
This.

But play it smart. If the tank is holding threat in 2 or 3 elites, when you finish killing the trash, attack the elite with the lowest health. Chances are good that's the one the tank is focused on. So many times have I seen things go batsh*t crazy when the dps starts on a fairly clean elite that the tank is only holding maintenance threat on.

Also, if the tank is holding an elite, and you see another elite start smacking the crap out of the healer, don't try to tank the elite. That just gives the healer 3 targets to heal instead of 2. The healer is most likely busy spamming heals like mad at this point, so if you're going to help, maybe try to CC it or mention to the tank that his lifeline is about to be cut, or both. But don't put more strain in the healer.

melodylane
11.24.2012 , 03:16 PM | #7
Thank you all for your helpfull feedback I'm going to try implement all of these tips into my game play. I dont want to be that crap dps that I keep reading about in the forums

CosmicKat
11.24.2012 , 04:16 PM | #8
Rules for grouping as DPS that I've learned in too many MMO's than I care to remember....

1) You are the most expendable member of the group.
2) Follow the tank's lead.
3) Keep the healer alive. If mob's get on the healer, get their attention.
4) If the mob's have a healer, kill it fast.
5) If a wanderer agro's, get it's attention till the tank can deal with it.
6) Depending on the skill of the tank, it is sometimes a good plan to unload and get agro first, then let the tank draw it. With a less skilled tank, hold back and finish strong once they get agro under control.
7) Never, ever run around when you have too much agro or are hurt. You will screw up the healer and cause a wipe.
8) Never, ever AoE unless the fight's almost done, or if being an agro machine might save the rest of the group.
9) Follow whatever plan the group comes up with!

P.S. In TOR, the only time any of this matters is in fights with mutiple "golds" or bosses. The rest of the time it's so simple, no planning, strategy, tactics, or group coordination is required.

BlackSpin
11.24.2012 , 07:01 PM | #9
If you're interested in PvP at all... Wakalord, from my server, just made a couple assassin dueling guides - very good IMO. Check them out: http://www.twitch.tv/wifileague

It might help you with PvE as well (as far as what abilities to use), idk... but it makes me want to play my assassin more.

Quote: Originally Posted by melodylane View Post

Gerandar
11.24.2012 , 07:52 PM | #10
you don't your class has a tanking tree you should be using it. if you wanted to dps you should have rolled sentinal