Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Michael Arndt (Hunger Games, Toy Story 3) will be one of the EP7 screenwriters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Michael Arndt (Hunger Games, Toy Story 3) will be one of the EP7 screenwriters

sstanks
11.27.2012 , 12:53 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
More realistic? LOL SERIOUSLY? Lotzo is a toy bear that talks!

ROTFLOL
... yeah I don't unerstand how that is hard for your to understand. Obviously none of them are real but it's about writing. Which is written as a better character.

Look at this way. Wall-E was a robot who only said one word. But even then if I asked you to describe his character you could. You could probably do it easier then trying to describe Padmes character.

Aurbere
11.27.2012 , 12:56 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
i know i did that was the point. They have the same backstory but Lots o is a much more intidmidating villian as he is more human.
Given that he's a toy, calling him more human is a stretch. In terms of emotion, I would agree that Lotso has more emotion than the Emperor, but Palpatine is so much more than the bear.

Remember that the Emperor was in complete control of the entire galaxy. Lotso was in control of a bunch of toys that had no real bearing on the outside world. They were both in control of their own worlds, but Palpatine's actions had a much greater effect. Plus he could fry Lotso at will.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

sstanks
11.27.2012 , 01:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Given that he's a toy, calling him more human is a stretch. In terms of emotion, I would agree that Lotso has more emotion than the Emperor, but Palpatine is so much more than the bear.

Remember that the Emperor was in complete control of the entire galaxy. Lotso was in control of a bunch of toys that had no real bearing on the outside world. They were both in control of their own worlds, but Palpatine's actions had a much greater effect. Plus he could fry Lotso at will.
and Vader has less power but he was a better villian then the Emperor so it doesn't mater what they are in control of. Or look at Ingorious Bastr.ds in that the main villian the Je Hunter is even more evil and more intimidating then the Emperor. Yet he doesn't even have 1 millionth the power that the Emperor has.

Creating a realisitc or good villian has absolutely nothing to do with how much that person controls or what magic they can do.

Aurbere
11.27.2012 , 01:04 PM | #24
and Vader has less power but he was a better villian then the Emperor so it doesn't mater what they are in control of. Or look at Ingorious Bastr.ds in that the main villian the Je Hunter is even more evil and more intimidating then the Emperor. Yet he doesn't even have 1 millionth the power that the Emperor has.

Creating a realisitc or good villian has absolutely nothing to do with how much that person controls or what magic they can do.
I suppose you're right, but I wouldn't call Lotso more intimidating than the Emperor. A good villain? Yes. They were both good villains. You like one more than the other, I like one more than the other.

For me, personally, I can't take the bear seriously.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

bionamaster
11.27.2012 , 02:31 PM | #25
1. Note how utterly derailed this thread has become. Discussion of screenwriters transformed into an argument about whether a corrupt Sith politician is a better villain then an insane pink teddy bear.

2. They were both well written villains. Toy Story 3 was an enjoyable, family-oriented, animated film. Star Wars is an enjoyable, epic space saga filled with Lightsaber-wielding warriors and politicians with Force Lightning*. Comparing the two is like comparing an apple and an orange. It isn't which is better, it's which you enjoy more.

On a side note, it is ironic: Pretty sure that neither Disney/Pixar OR Lucasfilms planned on a second film**.

*: Referring to SW as the Films, not the Films+EU. Toy Story doesn't have any backgrounds like the EU that Star Wars does. Quite frankly, I know of a lot of people who would gladly forfeit the EU of Star Wars and have the Force be as mysterious as the reason for why the Toys are alive. These are not my personal views, however.

**: Technically, Lucas DID have a backup plan: If the first Star Wars movie failed (ROFL) he had a sequel written to try and revive it. The sequel evolved into a book whose name escapes me.
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

MasterMe
11.27.2012 , 02:33 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by bionamaster View Post
1. Note how utterly derailed this thread has become. Discussion of screenwriters transformed into an argument about whether a corrupt Sith politician is a better villain then an insane pink teddy bear.

2. They were both well written villains. Toy Story 3 was an enjoyable, family-oriented, animated film. Star Wars is an enjoyable, epic space saga filled with Lightsaber-wielding warriors and politicians with Force Lightning*. Comparing the two is like comparing an apple and an orange. It isn't which is better, it's which you enjoy more.

On a side note, it is ironic: Pretty sure that neither Disney/Pixar OR Lucasfilms planned on a second film**.

*: Referring to SW as the Films, not the Films+EU. Toy Story doesn't have any backgrounds like the EU that Star Wars does. Quite frankly, I know of a lot of people who would gladly forfeit the EU of Star Wars and have the Force be as mysterious as the reason for why the Toys are alive. These are not my personal views, however.

**: Technically, Lucas DID have a backup plan: If the first Star Wars movie failed (ROFL) he had a sequel written to try and revive it. The sequel evolved into a book whose name escapes me.
Good point. They really are apples and oranges.

sstanks
11.27.2012 , 03:16 PM | #27

actually Star Wars and Toy Story are closer then you think. First off they are BOTH family fun adventure films. Remember 5 of the Star Wars movies are rated PG. (one of them even has poop jokes) The Prequels are animated films at these point with entire battle scenes completely done in a computer. The entire gungan vs the Battle droids battle is completely CG same with the Clones vs the Droids on Mustifar.

The special editions are getting close to be considered full animated films at this point with the crap ton of crappy cg animated stuff added.

Look at the main characters

Woody is esential Luke. Instead of the force Woody believes in Andy and working for Andy.
Buzz is Han.
Pig is R2D2
T-rex is C-3PO.

really Toy Story 3 IS a star wars movie. Just keep the plot the same and replace the places with alien worlds and there you go.'

edit: you are thinking of Splinter of the Minds Eye, the book sequel that Lucas had written.

bionamaster
11.27.2012 , 06:40 PM | #28
actually Star Wars and Toy Story are closer then you think. First off they are BOTH family fun adventure films. Remember 5 of the Star Wars movies are rated PG. (one of them even has poop jokes) The Prequels are animated films at these point with entire battle scenes completely done in a computer. The entire gungan vs the Battle droids battle is completely CG same with the Clones vs the Droids on Mustifar.

The special editions are getting close to be considered full animated films at this point with the crap ton of crappy cg animated stuff added.

Look at the main characters

Woody is esential Luke. Instead of the force Woody believes in Andy and working for Andy.
Buzz is Han.
Pig is R2D2
T-rex is C-3PO.

really Toy Story 3 IS a star wars movie. Just keep the plot the same and replace the places with alien worlds and there you go.'

edit: you are thinking of Splinter of the Minds Eye, the book sequel that Lucas had written.
First of all, I don't see much character connection with the examples you listed. Luke, for one, is a reluctant hero, joining the Alliance basically because the other option killed his family (remember, he wanted to head off to the Imperial Academy originally). Woody gladly takes a position of leadership among the toys, and is even threatened when Buzz comes along. Aside from being spacefaring, nothing strikes me as similar between Han and Buzz. What is the same between the droids and Ham and Rex, anyway?

The plot is also different. TS is essentially a friendship story that deals with overcoming negative emotions such as jealousy. SW is more of a heroics kind of a deal, with valiant, sword-wielding knights overcoming a black-clad villain.

Additionally, thanks for the help on remembering SotME.
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

sstanks
11.28.2012 , 08:13 AM | #29
First of all, I don't see much character connection with the examples you listed. Luke, for one, is a reluctant hero, joining the Alliance basically because the other option killed his family (remember, he wanted to head off to the Imperial Academy originally). Woody gladly takes a position of leadership among the toys, and is even threatened when Buzz comes along. Aside from being spacefaring, nothing strikes me as similar between Han and Buzz. What is the same between the droids and Ham and Rex, anyway?

The plot is also different. TS is essentially a friendship story that deals with overcoming negative emotions such as jealousy. SW is more of a heroics kind of a deal, with valiant, sword-wielding knights overcoming a black-clad villain.

Additionally, thanks for the help on remembering SotME.
Obviously Woody wasn't a farmer who joined the alliance after his parents were killed thats' just stupid however they share the same traits.

Buzz is the cocky flashy hero like Han is. Ham is like R2D2 because he is the one in control all the time. Think Toy Story 2 where he jumps into driver seat. Rex is like C-3po due to his bumbling nature and affeminate voice and behavior.

Again as for the plots you are taking it too literal. Look at the themes and story structure.

Toy Story 1 is a rescue mission where they must enter the evil lair to rescue a friend from the clutches of an enemy. The Hero must overcome fear to correct a mistake he did and save his friend from an evil he can't possible defeat.

Toy Story 2, Similar rescue theme except the overall theme is death (remember not being played with is considered death to toys). Woody sees a way to avoid death by going to Japan. In Star Wars terms that would be the equivlent of a Jedi who is afraid of death turns to the Dark Side. But his friends come to save him.... hey that would actually make a pretty good Star Wars movie.

Toy Story 3. We already talked about how this is very similar to Star Wars. Again all you have to do is change the names of the places and what the characters are to see how it IS a star wars movies. The plot and the themes are similar in ALL adventure films.

You and others keep bring up the fact that they are toys so it can't be like Star Wars or that it's just a kids film ( even though Star Wars IS a kids film) Have you ever heard of "Maus"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

It is considered one of the greatest comics of all times. It retells the Hollocaust except that the Jews are mice and the Nazis are cats. Just because the characters are animals or toys has absolutely nothing to do with how good a story is or how amazing the writing is.

It would be very short sited to dissmiss something as for kids just because it uses toys, or animals as it's main characters. Toy Story 3 is a fine example of great writing and if Michael Arndt can write a script half as good as Toy Story 3 we could have a movie better then Empire Strikes Back.

Tomb-Stone
11.28.2012 , 11:58 AM | #30
Most of us have seen the Phantom Menace... it can't get much worse than that. I think the SW franchise can only get better from here on out. (I hope)
Tomb-Stone
Common Sense Is Like Deodorant. The People Who Need It The Most Never Use It...