Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

how to gear while leveling

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
how to gear while leveling

Skodan
11.26.2012 , 03:31 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Bigbearbear View Post
I get most of my gears from running Flash Points. If you're willing to "play dirty", select "Need" when you see gears for your companion drop. Many do that, I usually don't unless someone in the group does it first. When that happens I go "eff this" and hit Need on everything, damn the torpedo.
doing this will usually get you on ignore lists since its not considered to be polite if you roll need on everything.

if you are on a person's ignore list you will not be grouped with them using group finder... which will lead to longer wait times on your queues
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Bigbearbear
11.26.2012 , 06:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Skodan View Post
doing this will usually get you on ignore lists since its not considered to be polite if you roll need on everything.

if you are on a person's ignore list you will not be grouped with them using group finder... which will lead to longer wait times on your queues
The ignore system doesn't work that well. Experienced the same thing with WoW, with that many subscribers, many players were intentionally grief playing with sole intention of wiping a group with no consequences whatsoever. Now with lots of Free to Play players online, chances of you being grouped with the same person is minimal.

Also, I think subscribers get a free name chance once a month or something like that. I think it will bypass the ignore system. Not 100% sure about this though.

VigDiath
11.26.2012 , 06:54 PM | #13
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but PVP is also a good way to gear up. Once you hit level 20 you can get your first pvp set. It's moddable too so when you get Armoring and Mod drops you can use that to upgrade your gear. Or with the comms you get you can get armoring and mods from fleet comm vendors and it's cheaper and you can spend the rest of the comms on your companion.

Once you get to level 30 you get a new pvp gear set and one at level 40 as well. Level 20 gear can carry you all the way to level 30 and so on. I never did that but it does work.

SN: My companions get whatever gear I donate to them lol.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

VigDiath
11.26.2012 , 06:58 PM | #14
I get most of my gears from running Flash Points. If you're willing to "play dirty", select "Need" when you see gears for your companion drop. Many do that, I usually don't unless someone in the group does it first. When that happens I go "eff this" and hit Need on everything, damn the torpedo.
I was running a FP with my smuggler and I had a Shadow "need" on a cunning item that I really did need and I let him know it too. I hate with a passion when someone does that without asking first. He said he needed it for Tharan. I passed on multiple strength, willpower and aim items that I could have used just to make sure they at least had balanced chance of getting gear they needed. I think it's at least a courtesy to ask for if it's something you don't really need.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

Nythain
11.26.2012 , 09:01 PM | #15
Most of this has already been said, but here's my personal approach upon my return and start over.
Main toon: Jedi Consular
This toon has armormech. Why, one might ask. Well, first off, the relatively cheap and easy to obtain blue recipes are usually more than enough to gear up your companions better than most quest rewards. I find it considerably cheaper to just craft Qyzen's armor than try to get him comm gear or keep up with orange mods. Secondly, my primary alt.

Primary Alt: Trooper
This toon has cybertech, with the gathering skills for artificing. My third, less played toon has artifice, and some cash making gathering skills for making monies. With the leftover mats my main gets for it's armormech, this toon can keep up with some of the mods cybertech has to offer. Great for keeping my main and this toon geared in decent oranges. What cybertech can't make, i fill with comm mods from whatever planet I'm on.

I'm Bored Alt: Jedi Knight
Spare time character, picked up artifice to cover what the cybertech can't. Not too helpful since I barely play this one, but some crystals and hilts here and there have been pleasant easy upgrades. This toon also gathers for cash to fund my careers.

Long story short, I'd seriously look into at least armormech for your companions. Crafting their gear leaves you more room to gear yourself with fewer comms. Also, don't neglect them dailies and flashpoints, between the gear that drops there and the comms for completing, they're fairly invaluable for gearing a first character throughout it's leveling process.

EDIT: Guess i should point out that... once you are end game, or near end game you can and probably should drop armormech for a more useful crew skill. Once you are 50, making money is easy enough, which makes grinding out a new crew skill pretty painless as long as you can find the mats you need on the GTN. This is hardly ever a problem since, for just grinding, you rarely/never need anything exotic.

Draqsko
11.26.2012 , 10:43 PM | #16
Also, I think subscribers get a free name chance once a month or something like that. I think it will bypass the ignore system. Not 100% sure about this though.
The system does not support this currently..Was forced to rename due to server transfers, submitted a ticket to allow me to rename back to my original name since I had created an alt with my original name literally the next morning after transfers, denied. So no, we don't get a free rename once per month, and you cannot bypass the ignore system, you will never be grouped with anyone on your ignore list or anyone who has ignored you.

Except warzones, because ya know, communication is completely unneccessary in warzones...

TheIronMonkey
11.26.2012 , 11:28 PM | #17
Working on toons #5 and #6, some of what I have learned.

Orange gear is great to keep powered but it takes more "work" to monitor. I always try to get orange pieces on as sonn as I can (and I find something that looks good). On planet side quests, unless the item offered is better than what I got, I take the commendations. Then. at the end of each planet I go do what upgrades I can to the orange items.

The process changed a bit now that I have a L50 Cybertech 400, so I can make armoring and mods at will. It still doesn't pay to spend too many materials upgrading at every level. I review mods every two to three levels and continue to research blue components as I go along. Also, now we other toons at 50, anything that is bind on equip can be shared across the toons.

One thing I have learned : I used to leave heroics for "later", to come back over level to do. Now I do them at level. Most of the stuff you get is only valuable at the level they are, and later they become vendor feed.

Orange pieces are about look. There are lots of websites with picts. Research what you like, hunt for it (or buy it) and then mod it forever. Leave augments for L50. It becomes very costly to create, install and outfit them to have to replace them all the time for a few points.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

Skodan
11.27.2012 , 12:00 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TheIronMonkey View Post
Working on toons #5 and #6, some of what I have learned.

Orange gear is great to keep powered but it takes more "work" to monitor. I always try to get orange pieces on as sonn as I can (and I find something that looks good). On planet side quests, unless the item offered is better than what I got, I take the commendations. Then. at the end of each planet I go do what upgrades I can to the orange items.

The process changed a bit now that I have a L50 Cybertech 400, so I can make armoring and mods at will. It still doesn't pay to spend too many materials upgrading at every level. I review mods every two to three levels and continue to research blue components as I go along. Also, now we other toons at 50, anything that is bind on equip can be shared across the toons.

One thing I have learned : I used to leave heroics for "later", to come back over level to do. Now I do them at level. Most of the stuff you get is only valuable at the level they are, and later they become vendor feed.

Orange pieces are about look. There are lots of websites with picts. Research what you like, hunt for it (or buy it) and then mod it forever. Leave augments for L50. It becomes very costly to create, install and outfit them to have to replace them all the time for a few points.
i pick up a social armor set for myself and my companion asap, i use my cybertech/artifice to create armorings/mods/enhancements at every 4th level.

the cybertech also creates earpieces and then i usually buy barrels and implants
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

TheIronMonkey
11.27.2012 , 12:07 AM | #19
I did social armor on my Jedi Knight because I got sick of all that brown. Then later bent to the brown deal but kept the social pants. My Jedi Counselor (female) stays on her social elegant oranges, looks better. I am still trying to find something with some color for her, but for now white and gold looks good (except the hat, I took that off and found me an orange band headpiece).

Social I or II will get you starter oranges at Corruscant or Drumond Kass. Or the sexy outfit at Nar Shadaa.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

VexerusTargaryen
11.27.2012 , 11:03 AM | #20
thanks for the on topic replies

To those discussing how to lot--common sense tells me to just not be a dick so we ok there.

PVP sounds interesting, may give that a try soon if the gear is coo.