Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gunnery Commando PvE Guide


deadandburied's Avatar


deadandburied
01.03.2013 , 02:19 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by MandalorianCpt View Post
a 10-12 min parse just sounds like your trying to extend ur chance of a critc heavy period and weight it agaisnt a low dps point
No it's the opposite. The lower the time the higher the variance in dps. The longer the time the less variance and a better average. The one time i got 1998dps was from a 5 min test. I've never gotten near those results using a 10-12 min test for example. So as i previously said. A short test and the crit gods favoring you would provide the highest dps. So we don't use short tests as they aren't indicative of their true average. We're trying to reduce luck from the equation within an acceptable amount.
Triggerfinger Itches, 50 Gunnery Commando, Premonition, The Harbinger

jesseleeca's Avatar


jesseleeca
01.03.2013 , 11:20 AM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by deadandburied View Post
No it's the opposite. The lower the time the higher the variance in dps. The longer the time the less variance and a better average. The one time i got 1998dps was from a 5 min test. I've never gotten near those results using a 10-12 min test for example. So as i previously said. A short test and the crit gods favoring you would provide the highest dps. So we don't use short tests as they aren't indicative of their true average. We're trying to reduce luck from the equation within an acceptable amount.
Another way to do this would be to do many, many more 5-6 min tests to try to reduce the effect randomness has on the results. According to some statistical thing or another, ~30 tests should give you a roughly normal distribution of results which should show your average dps. Too lazy to spend ~3 hours in front of a dummy but anyone who wants to try it should get some pretty reliable results. (At least that's the case if I remember my stats course correctly.)
[Prophecy of the Five] <The Crushers>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS/Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 60 Guardian Tank/DPS
Morehots Lvl 60 Scoundrel Healer

deadandburied's Avatar


deadandburied
01.04.2013 , 06:23 PM | #83
Yup that works.

So as i often do i went back to 6/31/4 spec as opposed to the 5/31/5 spec. My First responder uptime was 54% on our TFB 16 man HM The Writhing Horror kill. This put me at 7% 54% of the time and 2% 46% of the time. For an average of 4.7% reduced cast time. As opposed to 4%. So really no noticeable difference in dps except ammo regen is easier with the 5/31/5 spec as it's a steady 4%. This is why i prefer 5/31/5. I did manage to get myself a bit higher on the torparse dps list for that fight though. So i'll stay with 6/31/4 for another week or so and see if i can do the same on other bosses as well. Not getting my hopes up.

My attacks per minute are well below average for Commandos. So getting First Responder to proc is terrible for me. I just do slow and steady dps. Didn't use 1 Hammershot during that fight for example. Now i'm not saying everyone will get the same results. Cause my way is not actually the right way. Spamming abilities and tossing in Hammershots is the right way. So First Responder uptime should be better for people doing it the right way. I'm just to lazy for that and my lazy way works for me.
Triggerfinger Itches, 50 Gunnery Commando, Premonition, The Harbinger

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
01.04.2013 , 11:43 PM | #84
For what it's worth I've found First Responder uptime is much better with decent use of Hammer Shot and overall DPS is higher.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

jesseleeca's Avatar


jesseleeca
01.05.2013 , 03:30 PM | #85
Added advice on holostatues and finished strats for 1st and 2nd boss of TFB.
[Prophecy of the Five] <The Crushers>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS/Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 60 Guardian Tank/DPS
Morehots Lvl 60 Scoundrel Healer

deadandburied's Avatar


deadandburied
01.05.2013 , 05:09 PM | #86
As it's an exploit i'd suggest removing the statues from your post. We don't use them or any cheats or any sort of exploits in any of our raids btw. We do all boss fights as SWTOR intended.
Triggerfinger Itches, 50 Gunnery Commando, Premonition, The Harbinger

jesseleeca's Avatar


jesseleeca
02.06.2013 , 11:01 AM | #87
Finished all boss strats except for TFB, some of them are sloppy (which I'll elaborate on later).
Feel free to correct/comment.
[Prophecy of the Five] <The Crushers>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS/Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 60 Guardian Tank/DPS
Morehots Lvl 60 Scoundrel Healer

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
02.07.2013 , 10:52 AM | #88
Quote:
Dread Council aka Heirad , Ciphas,and Kelísara

This fight is spread between three phases, each corresponding to the boss you are focus firing on.

Heirad: He has a random aggro table so just unload on him. There are two mechanics that need to be dealt with. First, he casts "Surge Lightning" (Or something like that) and Ciphas jumps over to shield him. Focus fire on Ciphas to burn down the bubble, interrupt, and get back to work on Heirad. I usually just throw three GRs on Ciphas and switch back, by the time the next GR is off, the shield is usually down. Second, he casts "Lightning Field" a big AOE ability that radiates out from each player. Get away from everyone else once he starts channeling, pop your defensive, and run back to the center for AOE heals after. I sometimes start casting Medical Probe, in time to finish just after it goes down, just for sh*ts and giggles and a bit of healing. Rinse repeat until he's dead.

Ciphas: Two mechanics: green circles and Doom. You will see two balls floating around you, when you see this get away from other people, drop your circle and get out of it. Occasionally he Dooms someone, if it's you run through three circles to get rid of it or you get one shot.

Kel'sara: Try to stand at max range and away from other people for this phase of the fight to give you more time to run when she marks you for death and to decrease the number of people hit by the AOE she does. Otherwise just burn her and whenever she calls adds, kill the ones with castbars first and it should be an easy fight.
Also remember that Ciphas occasionally leaps to someone early in his DPS cycle and begins force choking someone. He needs to be interrupted immediately as Leap+a few ticks of Force Choke will kill anyone. I basically interrupt as soon as I see him jump.

For Kelsara maximizing DPS output is crucial as its easy to fall behind because of all the running around and add killing, and then wipe due to hard enrage (she sprints around and basically one shots your raid 1 by 1. You can kill her during this phase but its damn difficult).

Quote:
Operator IX aka Tron

This is a deceptively simple boss, in terms of mechanics, it helps to do it a few times. Before starting, divide your raid into 4 groups of 2, each of which will choose a color.

First half: When it gets to your color phase, get in the middle (you shouldn't be channeling) kill the adds and one of the floating ball of your color. Otherwise just kill datacores and adds.

Second half: DPS boss, get in your colored circle when it is casting black obtuse, and if you need to shield someone who gets targeted with your color, both run to the middle.
I'm confused as to why you don't have your DPS channel. We have our healers or tanks be the ones in the middle so that they can keep doing their job. We also deliberately fail the purple phase by taking time at the beginning to AoE the big adds, focus down the add you get for failing, and then finish the rest of phase 1. We've had a few times where this wasn't necessary though.

I guess its a matter of preference. Having a DPS in the middle means you can kill the adds quicker, but it means the tank or healer on the transition has to kill their sphere pretty quick (except for the first one obviously) so as to not slow down transitions. Also seems like melee DPS like sents are screwed for trying to get their sphere if they stand in the middle.

I dunno, if that's how you do it, obviously it works, but then I can say the same about having the DPS channel. Really the only thing that I guess you truly don't wanna do is pair up two DPS on the same color. I'd be hardpressed to believe two DPS could take down the datacores in time. Course I say that and I guess if you have two DPS on blue, and then pair up a tank and healer for yellow you could have all 4 DPS on datacores and finish the yellow phase in 30 seconds, but one healer and one tank for both big adds seems like it's pushing it.

For Kephess its important to know that multiple people may have nanites and once someone starts channeling a tower, you better start channeling as well if you have so much as 1 stack.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

jesseleeca's Avatar


jesseleeca
02.07.2013 , 11:33 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Also remember that Ciphas occasionally leaps to someone early in his DPS cycle and begins force choking someone. He needs to be interrupted immediately as Leap+a few ticks of Force Choke will kill anyone. I basically interrupt as soon as I see him jump.

For Kelsara maximizing DPS output is crucial as its easy to fall behind because of all the running around and add killing, and then wipe due to hard enrage (she sprints around and basically one shots your raid 1 by 1. You can kill her during this phase but its damn difficult).
thanks for reminding me about the choke, I'll add it in.
As for the DPS on Kelsara, we don't seem to have any problems and I don't recall ever hitting the enrage except when dps are down.

Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
I'm confused as to why you don't have your DPS channel. We have our healers or tanks be the ones in the middle so that they can keep doing their job. We also deliberately fail the purple phase by taking time at the beginning to AoE the big adds, focus down the add you get for failing, and then finish the rest of phase 1. We've had a few times where this wasn't necessary though.

I guess its a matter of preference. Having a DPS in the middle means you can kill the adds quicker, but it means the tank or healer on the transition has to kill their sphere pretty quick (except for the first one obviously) so as to not slow down transitions. Also seems like melee DPS like sents are screwed for trying to get their sphere if they stand in the middle.

I dunno, if that's how you do it, obviously it works, but then I can say the same about having the DPS channel. Really the only thing that I guess you truly don't wanna do is pair up two DPS on the same color. I'd be hardpressed to believe two DPS could take down the datacores in time. Course I say that and I guess if you have two DPS on blue, and then pair up a tank and healer for yellow you could have all 4 DPS on datacores and finish the yellow phase in 30 seconds, but one healer and one tank for both big adds seems like it's pushing it.
I'm usually on the purple with a tank (?) channeling. I think what we do, in sequence, is 2 dps, heals+tank, dps+tank, dps+heals (I may be wrong), with the ranged always in the middle if possible. Having tanks in the middle instead of DPS makes it harder for them to taunt the add(s), I think.
There doesn't seem to be a problem with killing the orbs or the datacores that I've noticed, the tank and heals that aren't on duty usually help out. And most of the time we can burn down the Regulator before the other comes out so it isn't that much of a problem, and if their both up by the time phase switches, the other tank comes help.
[Prophecy of the Five] <The Crushers>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS/Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 60 Guardian Tank/DPS
Morehots Lvl 60 Scoundrel Healer

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
02.08.2013 , 12:43 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by jesseleeca View Post
thanks for reminding me about the choke, I'll add it in.
As for the DPS on Kelsara, we don't seem to have any problems and I don't recall ever hitting the enrage except when dps are down.
We had problems at first, not sure why. Too much running around I think. Haven't had problems lately, but I think it can definitely be an issue. Push DPS and push DPS hard early (if you hit a second lightning field on Heired you're too slow) and push it big on kelsara when there are no adds. We usually save second inspiration for right after we kill the dread guard adds for max up time.


Quote: Originally Posted by jesseleeca View Post
I'm usually on the purple with a tank (?) channeling. I think what we do, in sequence, is 2 dps, heals+tank, dps+tank, dps+heals (I may be wrong), with the ranged always in the middle if possible. Having tanks in the middle instead of DPS makes it harder for them to taunt the add(s), I think.
There doesn't seem to be a problem with killing the orbs or the datacores that I've noticed, the tank and heals that aren't on duty usually help out. And most of the time we can burn down the Regulator before the other comes out so it isn't that much of a problem, and if their both up by the time phase switches, the other tank comes help.
Nah there's no problem for the tank taunting. They only have to taunt the one that heads towards the channeler since the other add comes straight for the guy in the middle. No worries there.

We just mass AoE the regulators from the orange phase at the beginning of the purple phase, kill a datacore, deliberately fail purple if we have to (don't always have to, but that's our safety valve), and then kill last datacores. Having a DPS+Heals on the last phase to get the regulators down is not a bad idea tbh. We usually have both up on the phase change and tanks blow cooldowns then, healers expect then to be the big damage taken phase and DPS focus down the regulator that is at lowest health (one of the tanks is an ops lt. who marks the first regulator to come out).

This mostly came from ease of organization (pairing up each DPS with a healer or tank). Dunno that we'll change it now since the strat you use to win is often better than trying to learn a new way, but it's interesting to hear how others do it.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd